Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

Happy with the three points but the performance doesn't fill me with much optimism at all. Our attacking play is as disjointed as ever. There were a few good individual performances from us though - Pogba is class, Shaw had a good game and Fred worked hard in midfield, is technically very good and a fiery character as well. Although Sanchez did create a great chance for Lukaku, he was mostly rubbish. Rashford had a poor game as well. 

ETA. And our penalty was not fortunate at all. It was a pretty blatant handball by Amartey.

ETA 2. Oh yeah, and Pereira had a good game as well at #6. From reports of our preseason, he was the standout player as well.

59 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Happy with the three points but the performance doesn't fill me with much optimism at all. Our attacking play is as disjointed as ever. There were a few good individual performances from us though - Pogba is class, Shaw had a good game and Fred worked hard in midfield, is technically very good and a fiery character as well. Although Sanchez did create a great chance for Lukaku, he was mostly rubbish. Rashford had a poor game as well. 

ETA 2. Oh yeah, and Pereira had a good game as well at #6. From reports of our preseason, he was the standout player as well.

Pereira did good considering he was out of position but I think it showed that he isn't a DM and Fred wasn't entirely up to speed either - between them Maddison got way too much room while he was on.

Sanchez and Mata were both shocking. Mata looks to have lost whatever pace he had, he was running through molasses at times there. Given that this meant Rashford was almost devoid of any service that wasn't Pogba passing it from forty meters, I find it hard to blame him though he does need to do better at certain things when put in that situation.

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Pereira did good considering he was out of position but I think it showed that he isn't a DM and Fred wasn't entirely up to speed either - between them Maddison got way too much room while he was on.

Sanchez and Mata were both shocking. Mata looks to have lost whatever pace he had, he was running through molasses at times there. Given that this meant Rashford was almost devoid of any service that wasn't Pogba passing it from forty meters, I find it hard to blame him though he does need to do better at certain things when put in that situation.

Thing is Pereira and Fred were both quite good when we weren't playing so passively. They had a few problems once we inexplicably surrendered all initiative. We really hinder the quality of our midfield with such negative play. Mourinho sees Pereira as a #6 - a deep lying playmaker rather than a midfield destroyer. He played him there in preseason last year as well. I hope Pereira continues to do well and is seen as a viable backup to Matic. Mourinho was guilty of overplaying both Matic and Lukaku last season - that could be a major issue this season coming off a WC. 

Sanchez was really poor. It felt like he lost possession more times than he completed a pass. I don't know why he keeps trying to play nothing short passes when he should be taking on more of the goal scoring responsibility. There were a number of occasions where he came inside and had the space to take a shot but opted to play the ball straight to a defender instead. Agree on Mata as well - he is just too slow to play out wide. We should have gone with a 4-3-1-2 with Mata at #10 and Rashford+Sanchez up top. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apparently neither Newcastle or Spurs are starting with a new signing. That can't have happened before. 

That match seemed a bit chaotic from the highlights I saw (which are often misleading).  Toon hit the woodwork twice in a narrow loss and both teams had frenetic moments in the box — from an attacking and defensive POV. 

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That match seemed a bit chaotic from the highlights I saw (which are often misleading).  Toon hit the woodwork twice in a narrow loss and both teams had frenetic moments in the box — from an attacking and defensive POV. 

Yeah it was a an entertaining game. Lots of chances. 

Hazard is so good. Only played fifteen minutes but looked a class above everyone. 

Richarlison's a reet good player. Let's hope he deals with the attention he's inevitably gonna get better than last season (a lot of his problem was that teams started doubling up on him), but he'll have a lot more help here especially since Silva is more aware of how to use him. Plus he had the summer off this time, so fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Just saw extended highlights of Derby v. Leeds. Biesla has got Leeds playing some lovely football already. They won the game 4-1 but it could have been a lot more. Biesla is a bit of a nutter so things could go south pretty quickly but so far so good. 

ETA. another concern for Leeds is that Biesla's playing style is very demanding and the Championship is a long, hard grind. Will be interesting to see whether the squad can maintain this intensity or fall to pieces halfway through.

Archived