Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

Reports saying that PSG have agreed a fee of €37m with Schalke for Thilo Kehrer. Wonder what this means for PSG's interest in Boateng now. I doubt that deal goes through especially after reports the other day that Boateng pulled up in training with a knee problem. Bayern's asking price is just too much for such a high risk player imo.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports saying that PSG have agreed a fee of €37m with Schalke for Thilo Kehrer. Wonder what this means for PSG's interest in Boateng now. I doubt that deal goes through especially after reports the other day that Boateng pulled up in training with a knee problem. Bayern's asking price is just too much for such a high risk player imo.

Was about to write it, that PSG has apparentlly decided on Kehrer being their desired new centreback for ~37-39m €. That effectively ends this Boateng transfer saga. Interesting transfer nonetheless, as Kehrer was about to sign an extension, and I (for whatever it's worth) am not sure Kehrer is quite ready to be a regular at a club that has aspirations to win the CL. Young and very talented defender, but not really on that level imho.

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. another concern for Leeds is that Biesla's playing style is very demanding and the Championship is a long, hard grind. Will be interesting to see whether the squad can maintain this intensity or fall to pieces halfway through.

Wagner at Huddersfield proved it is possible to have success playing a high intensity style in the Championship, though it must be a concern given Bielsa’s ability to burn any side out.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Was about to write it, that PSG has apparentlly decided on Kehrer being their desired new centreback for ~37-39m €. That effectively ends this Boateng transfer saga. Interesting transfer nonetheless, as Kehrer was about to sign an extension, and I (for whatever it's worth) am not sure Kehrer is quite ready to be a regular at a club that has aspirations to win the CL. Young and very talented defender, but not really on that level imho.

That is a great bit of business for Schalke. With Sane coming in, I doubt Kehrer would have been first choice anyway. From Heidel’s comments, it seems like Thilo had verbally agreed a new contract but not signed, and refused to renege on his agreement - which meant PSG had to pay the fee for a player with four or five years left.

17 minutes ago, Philokles said:

That is a great bit of business for Schalke. With Sane coming in, I doubt Kehrer would have been first choice anyway. From Heidel’s comments, it seems like Thilo had verbally agreed a new contract but not signed, and refused to renege on his agreement - which meant PSG had to pay the fee for a player with four or five years left.

Depends on what Tedesco had in mind for Schalke tactically. However, that transfer can create some problems down the road for them. Naldo is a real beast physically, and still a top centreback, however he will turn 36 next month, so they will need a replacement for him at some point in the not so distant future.  Having that said, the transfer fee should help them find an adequate replacement.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

So after all the hype about Torreira and finally having a defensive midfielder again, the starters against City are Xhaka and 19-year-old Matteo Guendouzi, who they bought from Ligue 2 Nantes this summer.

It's like Wenger's still here!

Torreira came back late so is a bit off pace. He will be in the side soon.

ETA: I really like Guendouzi, mistakes aside.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Torreira came back late so is a bit off pace. He will be in the side soon. 

ETA: I really like Guendouzi, mistakes aside.

Yeah on the evidence so far I'd drop Xhaka for Torreira, not Gendouzi.

But then I'm not a fan of Xhaka in general.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah on the evidence so far I'd drop Xhaka for Torreira, not Gendouzi.

But then I'm not a fan of Xhaka in general.

This is right. Xhaka was terrible.

Other change I'd make is when Monreal gets back, drop Bellerin for Lichtensteiner.

I wouldn't drop Bellerin. Lichtsteiner was a boss though, didn't do much wrong at all. 

It's a bit weird seeing the negative reaction all over twitter, I didn't think we were that bad. We had a few good moments, a lot of that team is very new. 

Arsenal didn't play that bad. City seemed to take their foot off the gas in the 2nd half and Arsenal had a few chances from City errors at the back but they couldn't capitalise. City were by far the better side in the 1st half though. It's a bit worrying for the rest of the league that City were not at their best and without D. Silva and KdB starting on the bench yet they won fairly comfortably against both Chelsea and Arsenal. Hard to draw any conclusions of Emery's first competitive game in charge as City are simply a tier above everyone else in the league. 

28 minutes ago, Raja said:

I wouldn't drop Bellerin. Lichtsteiner was a boss though, didn't do much wrong at all. 

It's a bit weird seeing the negative reaction all over twitter, I didn't think we were that bad. We had a few good moments, a lot of that team is very new. 

I don't think Bellerin has played well for over a year. His timing of overlaps is poor, his offensive and defensive positioning is mostly poor and his crossing is mediocre. I just think Lichtsteiner would be better defensively and going forward based on everything I've seen of him and Bellerin.

After Liverpool’s third (and slightly offside) goal, I was feeling pity for West Ham.  Anfield is like a wood chipper for opposing teams.  The Hammers must have had some optimism for a new season under a great new manager and plenty of good signings, they had a decent game plan to stay compact and use the pace and power of Felipe Anderson, Antonio and Arnautovic to counter-attack, but they just got the run-around all day.  They looked sick of it before 55 minutes. 

Very good by Liverpool.  There were lots of good performances.  Gomez deserves special mention for a quality showing despite being a relative outsider to the team and only just coming back from a long injury with a stop-start preseason.  If he can just stay healthy he could do really well at CB.  We won the game in MF and all three were very good.  Keita makes our midfield more dangerous.  Mane was electric and confident, well-deserving of two goals.  We had quite a few good chances we didn’t take but that kind of sharpness will return.  TAA was quite good in general play but his crossing was abysmal (and usually is very good), also Firmino was still slightly off the pace — I expect both will be closer to normal levels by next match. 

Archived