Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

It’s a risk imo because 3 of the 4 are constantly out injured or sick. Even last weekend Lovren and Matip were out and Gomez was a question mark until game day.  

Hyperbole much? Joel Matip has been a bit injury prone since he joined Liverpool (side effects of the English cuisine I presume), Gomez missed pretty much the end of the season, but given his age, I wouldn't jump to conclusions like him having glass knee or something - and Klopp pretty much used him primarily as RB to cover for Clyne's injury anyway (which was not really Gomez position) before TAA managed to break into the team and Klopp played with a proper right back, again. van Dijk and Lovren have played more or less consistently, at least I don't recall either of them picking up a major injury that kept them out for a month+, maybe my memory is wrong on that, so the pool fans can correct me on that. 

So I really don't see the benefit of keeping Klavan for Liverpool, esp. if Klopp thinks some academy player is ready to get some game time.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Man City have confirmed that KdB has suffered a lateral collateral ligament lesion in his right knee. He's expected to be out for approximately 3 months.

Sucks to see that, as KdB is a fantastic player and a joy to watch. On the other hand, I guess that's why City signed Mahrez.

43 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hyperbole much? Joel Matip has been a bit injury prone since he joined Liverpool (side effects of the English cuisine I presume), Gomez missed pretty much the end of the season, but given his age, I wouldn't jump to conclusions like him having glass knee or something - and Klopp pretty much used him primarily as RB to cover for Clyne's injury anyway (which was not really Gomez position) before TAA managed to break into the team and Klopp played with a proper right back, again. van Dijk and Lovren have played more or less consistently, at least I don't recall either of them picking up a major injury that kept them out for a month+, maybe my memory is wrong on that, so the pool fans can correct me on that. 

So I really don't see the benefit of keeping Klavan for Liverpool, esp. if Klopp thinks some academy player is ready to get some game time.

I’m not trying to say it’s the end of the world getting rid of Klavan. Just seems stupid to let him go when CB is probably our most questionable posititon depth wise. 

Lovren had a consistent stretch of games last season but he has missed games regularly with knocks or sickness since joining LFC (and it doesn’t seem like he’s even close to being fit for this season.) Matip is incredible injury prone and I never said Gomez had a glass knee but he could end being relied upon a shit ton this season and I’m not sure he’s ready.. 

Lovren has been quite injury prone.  Not for very long absences but lots of short ones for muscle strains or even just illness.  And Matip has been incredibly unreliable.  Klavan had 53 appearances and 40 starts in the last two seasons, and was a steady back-up each time.  We’re basically betting on Gomez being reliably available now and that his disruptions so far (available for a total of just over half a season out of the past three) were bad luck rather than a pattern.  And Gomez has a lot more pace while lacking Klavan’s steady, experienced reliability. 

Best wishes to Raggy, who presumably wanted some more playing time before his career winds down.  And he gets to live in Sardinia. 

Kenedy should have been sent off. No question. The ref was close to the incident but looking at the ball so I don't think he saw the kick. Retrospective ban should be incoming. 

Cardiff have put in good effort but are really short on quality. Newcastle have not played well, struggled to control possession and were restricted to counters but they have still created the better opportunities.

Kenedy misses a 96th minute penalty to cap off a garbage performance by him. They really could have used those three points given that their upcoming fixtures are Chelsea, City and Arsenal. Add in Spurs as their opening game and it's a tough start for Newcastle.

Meanwhile, I found myself to be utterly disinterested in how the Cup games play out this we, after my club got eliminated yet again in the first round against lower tier team. At least it was just one league down this year, and, well extra time. Gotta love traditions. :rolleyes:

At least Mkhi pulls one back after missing a sitter and Auba missing a tap-in before that. Just like last week, Arsenal are creating chances but fucking up in front of goal. Both defences look seriously vulnerable. It's a big risk Sarri is taking sending Kante forward and leaving all the defensive work to Jorginho. For Arsenal, Mustafi and Sokratis look like they are moving in slow motion.

ETA. thought Kepa should be doing a whole lot better for the Mkhi goal.

ETA 2. equaliser. Deserved on the balance of chances created. 

Archived