Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

Second time he has kicked out at someone slready, after Demarai Grey on the opening day.

Truly abject from United, that very soft penalty makes it a very flattering scorline when a two or three goal margin would have been fair.

18 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Fred is shite. Good job on almost taking Luke Shaw's head off, numpty!

Fred was one of the very few sunrays on United side today. Luke Shaw also had a decent game.

Every other player was mediocre, especially Pogba whom I suspect to not totally be match fit. Same for Lukaku. They are not in their season yet.

Bailly is an awesome dude but today wasn't his day. 3 goals is a hard cost to pay for a bad day, a pity that Lindelof isn't yet abe to take things in control when this kinda situations happen.

We miss Matic & Valencia, also.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

They barely make it into the opponent’s penalty area but still get a penalty awarded each week.  I can’t wait to see how the referees maintain the obligatory gift when Utd don’t even get out of their own half.  

You know it's not a gift when someone actually fouls our players in the box right?

30 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

They barely make it into the opponent’s penalty area but still get a penalty awarded each week.  I can’t wait to see how the referees maintain the obligatory gift when Utd don’t even get out of their own half. 

Ah, I see you are one of those Liverpool fans. Always playing the victim - boo hoo, the refs are always screwing us! The penalty today and the one last week were actually penalties and not some 'gift'.

That was an absolutely abject performance. Fair dues to Brighton though they were excellent and 3-2 is flattering to us. It's now the 3rd season under Mourinho and we are still all over the place. I've said it before, the biggest issue United have is Mourinho's tactics and coaching. Give Guardiola, Sarri, Klopp, Jardim or Poch this same group of players and they would be able to get a lot more out of them. Just like players decline, managers do too. Mourinho's tactics and coaching is no longer as good as it once was and he is living off his past successes. What he is best at right now is creating divisions. 

Yeah, I am aware of the origins of the chant but clearly I was not using the phrase in the context of Hillsborough or Heysel but rather the few Liverpool fans who are full of conspiracy theories about refs always being against them and favouring United. 

You have to be quite a deluded United fan not to realise that they (and to a lesser extent the other big clubs) have been treated favourably by referees for decades now. Not because of some refereeing conspiracy, just that perhaps even subconsciously, they would rather screw over smaller clubs with less influence than the big boys if they aren’t sure. Today’s penalty seems a classic example - at best Duffy brushes Fellaini’s leg on the way through, at worst does not touch him at all - but Friend loses nothing by giving it as Brighton will win anyway and he avoids being the subject of Mourinho’s attempts to foist the blame on anyone but himself.

35 minutes ago, Philokles said:

You have to be quite a deluded United fan not to realise that they (and to a lesser extent the other big clubs) have been treated favourably by referees for decades now. Not because of some refereeing conspiracy, just that perhaps even subconsciously, they would rather screw over smaller clubs with less influence than the big boys if they aren’t sure. 

I don't quite get your argument here. Calling me "a deluded United fan" would be one thing if I were calling, say, Burnley fans conspiracy theorists because they complain about not getting favourable refereeing decisions but I didn't do that. I called out the few Liverpool fans who are constantly complaining about referees being against them and Liverpool, like United, are one of the "big clubs" who have received the rub of the green when it comes to refereeing decisions over many years.

Today’s penalty seems a classic example - at best Duffy brushes Fellaini’s leg on the way through, at worst does not touch him at all - but Friend loses nothing by giving it as Brighton will win anyway and he avoids being the subject of Mourinho’s attempts to foist the blame on anyone but himself.

I though the penalty was a fair enough call. It was a clumsy challenge by Duffy, he didn't get the ball and he does make contact with Fellaini who did make a meal of it tbf. You could call it soft but it was certainly not a 'gift'. 

Summer is over, and again I am filled with irrational hope that Everton are going to improve and challenge for something. It doesn't help that United look unfinished so far...

Richarlison looks good, at least. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I called out the few Liverpool fans who are constantly complaining about referees being against them and Liverpool, like United, are one of the "big clubs" who have received the rub of the green when it comes to refereeing decisions over many years.

To be fair, you have to be gentle with Liverpool fans on Palace fixture weekend, it brings back sore memories. #Crystanbul #NeverForget

Yeah, the whole 'referees are out to screw us debate is tiresome' from any sets of fans really. I find it more useful to see what the team did wrong. 

The chelsea match was kinda draining, but there are so many good signs. Guendouzi is going to be great, he'll have mistakes, and we'll have to live through them, but he's been ace so far. Seems like a good signing. 

Also, how on earth United aren't doing everything they can do get Poch is beyond me ( I know he's signed a new contract, but Mourinho isn't lasting at Utd) 

I actually don't mind Arsenal losing our first two matches. It shows how much the rot has set in under Wenger and doesn't affect my opinion of Emery one bit.

Much better we start slow and build up to a new team than the other way around, and as @Raja says there are some positive signs. If we can get back into the top four that will be a major success.

Archived