Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

I feel bad for Toon fans.  I cannot see how Rafa extends his contract now, and player engagement will drop as his contract winds down.  Maybe he can pull off one last miracle (and 10th last year was a miracle) just for the fans and for his own pride.  

I also feel bad for David DeGea.  A “broken” fax machine denied him three CL medals and now probably keeps him out of Real Madrid forever.  Perhaps he’s happy at Utd, he’s certainly busy, crucial and appreciated.  But Navas got those three CL medals and now Courtois gets the remainder of the career at RM.

I’m sure Utd fans were very happy to see Courtois get his move.

51 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I also feel bad for David DeGea.  A “broken” fax machine denied him three CL medals and now probably keeps him out of Real Madrid forever.  Perhaps he’s happy at Utd, he’s certainly busy, crucial and appreciated.  But Navas got those three CL medals and now Courtois gets the remainder of the career at RM.

Working under the assumption that Madrid isn't at time operated like circus. But under normal circumstances, this looks like the most likely outcome.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m sure Utd fans were very happy to see Courtois get his move.

I don't see why there is any need to feel sorry for De Gea. Broken fax machine aside, De Gea could have refused to sign a new contract and left on a free the following season. He made his choice. Do you also feel sorry for players joining Liverpool given that the club has won just one League Cup in the last 12 years? 

39 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

As far as I can tell, Liverpool had second thoughts on Fekir once his medical results came through. By all accounts his knee isn't as clean as it could be, after his injury the other year.

Well, what really happened was that they used the results of the medical- even though third-party experts told them it was fine- to try to negotiate an extra discount with Lyon on the already-agreed fee and Lyon went 'fuck you no' and ended it there.

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well, what really happened was that they used the results of the medical- even though third-party experts told them it was fine- to try to negotiate an extra discount with Lyon on the already-agreed fee and Lyon went 'fuck you no' and ended it there.

It's really hard to know what happened because it's all rumor and counter-claim.

The player definitely did a medical at Anfield and even his initial media duties -- he recorded a video interview with the club PR staff and posed for the usual photos.  So it wasn't just some trolls photo-shopping him into a Liverpool shirt.

Everyone agrees that Liverpool expressed a concern (legitimate or gamesmanship) about his knee after the medical but there have been no official statements beyond that, just lots of speculation.  We cannot know whether that concern was a real deal-breaker, or a legitimate but moderate risk concern that required a restructuring of the fee (contingent on appearances over a long period), or was just a pretext to try to cut the fee at the last minute.  Anyone with a definite opinion on this is just projecting what they want to believe.

Either way, Liverpool walked away from a major transfer after initially agreeing a fee with Lyon, agreeing terms with the player, doing a medical and shooting photos and videos of him in a Liverpool shirt.  So it wasn't the inverse of a Godin situation, it had a sincere amount of effort until the breakdown.  If they backed out because of medical risk then they must really have believed it.  If they backed out because they thought they could finagle a better price, they must have thought the bluff was worth missing out on the transfer.

We are playing so shit. After going a goal up, we have just surrendered all initiative which is a common theme under Mourinho. Pathetic that we are getting out-possessioned playing at home by a side not known for possession-based football. 

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Pathetic that we are getting out-possessioned playing at home by a side not known for possession-based football.  

To be fair since Puel took over they've been going in that direction but we're just letting them.

Maddison looks really good.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We are playing so shit. After going a goal up, we have just surrendered all initiative which is a common theme under Mourinho. Pathetic that we are getting out-possessioned playing at home by a side not known for possession-based football. 

Man, this sounds just so fucking familiar. Did those players actually have holidays ? I feel like there was no break between the lost FA Cup final and now lol.

If any positive thing has to be pointed out: Andreas Pereira, Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly all look sharp and solid so far. This statement has to be highlighted because it probably won't be often repeated this season lol.

I’m not watching the game but I gather Utd scored through a fortunate early penalty, have shown no initiative since and are being outplayed, and will likely manage to grind out a 1-0 win at home against a much smaller team shorn of both its key attacking players.  They might even nick another goal on a counterattack to make it an emphatic win.  I’m pretty sure Utd will still comfortably finish in the top 4 while playing like garbage. 

The real question is why anyone bothers to watch them play anymore.  

Archived