Consigliere

Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you haven't already seen Iniesta scoring on his J League debut, make the effort, its a thing of beauty (can't link it from work computer).

Yes, that turn was gorgeous. 

Iniesta

Everton were looking comfortable until Jagielka's fuck up and sending off. Pickford's error from the free-kick didn't help.

Posted (edited)

Leeds under Bielsa are fun.

ETA: I’m not watching the Wolves Everton game but joining up with Marco Silva again seems to be working out for Richarlison. Which is good for my fantasy team, and Everton I suppose.

Edited by ljkeane

35 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

First time watching Neves. He is quality. Could see him at City next year or something. 

Liverpool were heavily linked to him toward the end of last season but he said he wanted to stay with Wolves (for now). 

Richarlison's a reet good player. Let's hope he deals with the attention he's inevitably gonna get better than last season (a lot of his problem was that teams started doubling up on him), but he'll have a lot more help here especially since Silva is more aware of how to use him. Plus he had the summer off this time, so fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Posted (edited)

Just saw extended highlights of Derby v. Leeds. Biesla has got Leeds playing some lovely football already. They won the game 4-1 but it could have been a lot more. Biesla is a bit of a nutter so things could go south pretty quickly but so far so good. 

ETA. another concern for Leeds is that Biesla's playing style is very demanding and the Championship is a long, hard grind. Will be interesting to see whether the squad can maintain this intensity or fall to pieces halfway through.

Edited by Consigliere

Posted (edited)

Reports saying that PSG have agreed a fee of €37m with Schalke for Thilo Kehrer. Wonder what this means for PSG's interest in Boateng now. I doubt that deal goes through especially after reports the other day that Boateng pulled up in training with a knee problem. Bayern's asking price is just too much for such a high risk player imo.

Edited by Consigliere

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports saying that PSG have agreed a fee of €37m with Schalke for Thilo Kehrer. Wonder what this means for PSG's interest in Boateng now. I doubt that deal goes through especially after reports the other day that Boateng pulled up in training with a knee problem. Bayern's asking price is just too much for such a high risk player imo.

Was about to write it, that PSG has apparentlly decided on Kehrer being their desired new centreback for ~37-39m €. That effectively ends this Boateng transfer saga. Interesting transfer nonetheless, as Kehrer was about to sign an extension, and I (for whatever it's worth) am not sure Kehrer is quite ready to be a regular at a club that has aspirations to win the CL. Young and very talented defender, but not really on that level imho.

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. another concern for Leeds is that Biesla's playing style is very demanding and the Championship is a long, hard grind. Will be interesting to see whether the squad can maintain this intensity or fall to pieces halfway through.

Wagner at Huddersfield proved it is possible to have success playing a high intensity style in the Championship, though it must be a concern given Bielsa’s ability to burn any side out.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Was about to write it, that PSG has apparentlly decided on Kehrer being their desired new centreback for ~37-39m €. That effectively ends this Boateng transfer saga. Interesting transfer nonetheless, as Kehrer was about to sign an extension, and I (for whatever it's worth) am not sure Kehrer is quite ready to be a regular at a club that has aspirations to win the CL. Young and very talented defender, but not really on that level imho.

That is a great bit of business for Schalke. With Sane coming in, I doubt Kehrer would have been first choice anyway. From Heidel’s comments, it seems like Thilo had verbally agreed a new contract but not signed, and refused to renege on his agreement - which meant PSG had to pay the fee for a player with four or five years left.

Posted (edited)

Premier League clubs voted against VAR being used in the league this season. It will continue to be trialled in the League Cup and FA Cup.

Edited by Consigliere

17 minutes ago, Philokles said:

That is a great bit of business for Schalke. With Sane coming in, I doubt Kehrer would have been first choice anyway. From Heidel’s comments, it seems like Thilo had verbally agreed a new contract but not signed, and refused to renege on his agreement - which meant PSG had to pay the fee for a player with four or five years left.

Depends on what Tedesco had in mind for Schalke tactically. However, that transfer can create some problems down the road for them. Naldo is a real beast physically, and still a top centreback, however he will turn 36 next month, so they will need a replacement for him at some point in the not so distant future.  Having that said, the transfer fee should help them find an adequate replacement.

That kid’s just got himself banned for life from Anfield, I suppose he got a bit of a hug from Salah though.

So after all the hype about Torreira and finally having a defensive midfielder again, the starters against City are Xhaka and 19-year-old Matteo Guendouzi, who they bought from Ligue 2 Nantes this summer.

It's like Wenger's still here!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

So after all the hype about Torreira and finally having a defensive midfielder again, the starters against City are Xhaka and 19-year-old Matteo Guendouzi, who they bought from Ligue 2 Nantes this summer.

It's like Wenger's still here!

Torreira came back late so is a bit off pace. He will be in the side soon.

ETA: I really like Guendouzi, mistakes aside.

Edited by Mexal

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Torreira came back late so is a bit off pace. He will be in the side soon. 

ETA: I really like Guendouzi, mistakes aside.

Yeah on the evidence so far I'd drop Xhaka for Torreira, not Gendouzi.

But then I'm not a fan of Xhaka in general.