Should Decaf Drinkers Be Forced to Publicly Register?

Martell Spy

Sometimes I feel like I am one of the few adults in the world who doesn’t really drink coffee at all.  I have had it many times in my life, but I’ve never been a regular and I honestly can’t remember the last time I had it.  Just not really a fan.  

Back when I was dating it always bugged me a little that the default non-comittal, testing-the-waters date is asking someone to get coffee.  I don’t want coffee.  I would much rather get something else.  

But nobody says, ‘hey do you wanna go get a smoothie sometime?’ They should though, because there’s a smoothie out there for everyone.  (I’m a blueberry person myself.)

Now, my boss is a huge consumer of coffee and his breath always smells like he just finished scarfing down a turd. At least I assume it’s from the coffee and he’s not an actual turd-eater, but I’ll probably never know for sure.  I can tell you one thing though, blueberry smoothies don’t make your breath smell like shit on a date, at work, or any other time... so why coffee on a date?  

Presumably if all goes well you might want to get close to that person, right? Let’s go get stinky breath together so we don’t notice each other’s ass breath?  Curious practice.  

2 hours ago, S John said:

Sometimes I feel like I am one of the few adults in the world who doesn’t really drink coffee at all.  I have had it many times in my life, but I’ve never been a regular and I honestly can’t remember the last time I had it.  Just not really a fan.  

Back when I was dating it always bugged me a little that the default non-comittal, testing-the-waters date is asking someone to get coffee.  I don’t want coffee.  I would much rather get something else.  

But nobody says, ‘hey do you wanna go get a smoothie sometime?’ They should though, because there’s a smoothie out there for everyone.  (I’m a blueberry person myself.)

Now, my boss is a huge consumer of coffee and his breath always smells like he just finished scarfing down a turd. At least I assume it’s from the coffee and he’s not an actual turd-eater, but I’ll probably never know for sure.  I can tell you one thing though, blueberry smoothies don’t make your breath smell like shit on a date, at work, or any other time... so why coffee on a date?  

Presumably if all goes well you might want to get close to that person, right? Let’s go get stinky breath together so we don’t notice each other’s ass breath?  Curious practice.  

Did you have a coffee when you visited Australia? If you didn't like Melbourne's version of a flat white, then you will never enjoy coffee. Turd breath not included. 

Funnily enough, my boyfriend goes on afternoon smoothie runs with his colleagues!

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

Caffeine is the only useful thing about the product, without that it's just dirt soup.

True that. Decaf is on the same level as cigars for me, I’ve never understood why people indulge in either.

1 minute ago, lacuna said:

Hmmm... Does that make pipes the yonic essence?:idea:

True story, I used to run with a dude in Texas who had a series of vulva shaped pipes. Swear to G.R.R.M. He had a bong that resembled the female reproductive system. You put the weed on the uterine entrance and smoked through the left fallopian tube. The right tube was decorative.

20 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

True story, I used to run with a dude in Texas who had a series of vulva shaped pipes. Swear to G.R.R.M. He had a bong that resembled the female reproductive system. You put the weed on the uterine entrance and smoked through the left fallopian tube. The right tube was decorative.

Now that’s a man. Tell me he had a pair of steel balls hanging from his jacked up pickup truck too.

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Now that’s a man. Tell me he had a pair of steel balls hanging from his jacked up pickup truck too.

Nah. He was definitely a weirdo though. One of those types who thought hyperidolization of females equated to being a feminist.

Read too much Herbert.

Agree on the coffee as random go-to date option being questionable, and I believe this idea was explored in Good Will Hunting, with the alternative suggestion being caramels. 

That being said:

Coffee is wonderful and decaf is terrible and you are all horrible stinky people.  

Coffee breath can be mitigated by eating something after you drink the coffee and even more so by brushing your teeth and mouth.

I am a strawberry-banana man under most circumstances.

11 hours ago, Paxter said:

Did you have a coffee when you visited Australia? If you didn't like Melbourne's version of a flat white, then you will never enjoy coffee. Turd breath not included. 

Funnily enough, my boyfriend goes on afternoon smoothie runs with his colleagues!

In general coffee in Australia has never impressed me, but I never had many in Melbourne. Of course that might be because I insist on drinking black, and the basic Australian method to achieve that seemed to be to dilute an espresso that was intended to be mixed with milk instead.

Ok fair call - black coffee is not our strong point and not widely consumed here as far as I know. The three essential coffees here are the latte, the flat white and the cappuccino. They all effectively have the same taste and lots of milk (main difference is the amount of foam).

What is it with Australians and flat white? I had coffee a couple times with an Australian at a conference and he got a flat white every time. My other Australian friend got one too. And I mean like, flat whites are fine, but I don't know many people who go to them as default.

20 hours ago, S John said:

I've gone on coffee dates and had the guy just get a tea because he didn't like coffee. Once it was when he was the one that suggested coffee! He said "you're a physicist, I knew you'd like coffee." :lol: 

Also, mints/gum!

Archived