How would a marriage between Brandon and Catelyn work?

Angel Eyes

Catelyn would be the humble wife trying to give her Brandon as many sons and daughters, however she wont love Brandon as much as she loved Ned. In my personal view Brandon was an unpleasant person, he took a noble ladies maidenhood (Barbrey Rysell/Dustin) and who knows how many other noble women he bedded, and plus I doubt he would stop his lustful acts with Catelyn, he would keep going with his lustful life as heir of Winterfell whilst humble and proud mother Catelyn has been given him children and not straying from his bed. Catelyn is nowhere close to being Cersei, shes loyal and was raised with the duty of giving a man children no matter if that man sleeps with other women, whilst Cersei was raised believing she would be Queen, and that the Lion doesn't bow to sheeps and these sort of things. 

I also doubt Brandon would treat Catelyn as Robert treated Cersei.

Brandon Stark is the perfect blend of Ned and Robert. I can imagine he would have actually gotten along better with Robert than Ned given their personalities. But that also means he would have been a slightly worse husband to Catelyn Tully. Ned was more Vale than Northman with how honour focused he is, while Brandon was more in keeping with the wolf-like Starks who survived the North for 8000 years. So Brandon would have been a good Warden of the North, a better fighter than Ned, but a more wild and wayward husband. It would have clashed far more with Catelyn’s background than when she was married to Ned.

I doubt Brandon would have built Catelyn a sept. There is also a chance that Brandon wouldn't have wanted a septon teaching his children. He probably would have had bastards but would have had them raised outside of Winterfell. I don't think he'd be cruel to Cat but he wouldn't respect her or value her council like Ned. Catelyn would focus even more on her children.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So Brandon Stark son of Rickard (Ned's brother) was supposed to marry Catelyn Tully. Would it have worked out as a marriage? Or would have it turned out something like Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister?

Its said they got along very well during the courtship period ....cat if i recall  even talks about how she initaly  thought she wouldnt like the seemingly more dour brother( ned) as much til she got to know him

I don't understand the negative views of Brandon.

He had many friends in the Vale, his father was a knight and he used to fight on tournaments, if anything he is more southerm than Eddard. I don't see why he wouldn't build a small sept for Catelyn.

Edmure was his squire, he knew Catelyn better than Ned at the time of their marriage and they relationship wouldn't start with the Jon Snow to make things that weird. Even if Brandon came to have a bastard, he would probably be fostered away.

Its hard to say, we doesn't really have an unbiased view on him. Eddard was his brother, and as much as I love the man he isn't the best judge of character, Catelyn and Barbrey both loved him, and Littlefinger despised him. 

I don't think Brandon would be cruel to Catelyn, but I don't think he would respect her in the way Ned did. Brandon would probably sleep with other women and father many bastards, but I don't think he would bring them to Winterfell. Saying that as someone who believes in R+L=J, I think the only reason Ned brought Jon with him was because of his promise to Lyanna to protect him. If Jon were actually Ned's bastard, lets say by Ashara, then I think he would probably have left him in Starfall. 

Unlike Ned who was raised around the Faith of the Seven, Brandon spent all his life in the North so might not have built Catelyn a sept nor wanted his children raised worshiping the Faith. 

Noone gives Brandon any kind of credit when we know absolutely almost nothing about the man besides he enjoys fighting and is awesome at it and he is probably a bit of a play boy which is fine he is the heir to the North after all and young SINGLE men will have fun lol.

We do not know if he would have taken his marriage serious and stay faithful or if he would be a Northern Robert, what we do know if is loves his family very much and was willing to die to protect his sister and father in the most extreme sense of WILLING to die. Cat would be his wife and mother of his children perhaps that would be enough to keep her happy and be the faithful loving husband Ned was. 

11 hours ago, Frey Kings said:

House Stark would've been better off

True that Ned and his beliefs of Vale honour are what doomed him his house and the North. The true Stark honour is more of a just but ruthless lord, something like Stannis but with way more smiles and actually enjoying life. Ned brought the honour of the Knights of the Vale, which he installed into both Robb and Jon, this doomed Robb to lead his bannermen to their deaths due to his pathetic honour. Tho Brandon wasn't a ruthless person he would have been better off leading the North. 

30 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

True that Ned and his beliefs of Vale honour are what doomed him his house and the North. The true Stark honour is more of a just but ruthless lord, something like Stannis but with way more smiles and actually enjoying life. Ned brought the honour of the Knights of the Vale, which he installed into both Robb and Jon, this doomed Robb to lead his bannermen to their deaths due to his pathetic honour. Tho Brandon wasn't a ruthless person he would have been better off leading the North. 

Absolutely right. I love how people always connect the word honorable to House Stark. Do people really think they would have survived 8000 years with rulers like Eddard Stark in charge?  xD

So I have been thinking about this for a bit and in some ways I think the happiness of a Brandon-Cat marriage might depend on Ned.

If Ned ends up in living in Winterfell married to Barbrey Ryswell(/Dusting/Stark) or someone else and acting like the top tier husband he seems to natural inclined to be he might inadvertently put strain on the Don-Cat marriage just by seeming much better by comparison.

If Ned is dead or off somewhere else I think this might be less of a problem.

17 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Noone gives Brandon any kind of credit when we know absolutely almost nothing about the man besides he enjoys fighting and is awesome at it and he is probably a bit of a play boy which is fine he is the heir to the North after all and young SINGLE men will have fun lol.

We do not know if he would have taken his marriage serious and stay faithful or if he would be a Northern Robert, what we do know if is loves his family very much and was willing to die to protect his sister and father in the most extreme sense of WILLING to die. Cat would be his wife and mother of his children perhaps that would be enough to keep her happy and be the faithful loving husband Ned was. 

Well, we got a taste of what happens to someone who enjoys fighting and women with Robert Baratheon. Brandon wasn’t very willing when it came to his betrothal to Catelyn and with Robert’s marriage to Cersei and Lysa’s marriage to Jon Arryn, when neither is willing, things... don’t work out.

Offhand, I started a thread a while back speculating about whether or not Robert had a bastard in the North.

Why is everyone attacking Brandon? :dunno: 

I’m starting to think everyone’s negativity is based on the fact that George wrote terrible marriages with Ned/Cat being the exception. 

I doubt Brandon would love Cat the way Ned did but that doesn’t mean he’ll be abusive like Robert. We know young!Cat was crazy for the dashing Brandon so she would have made this marriage work and I see no reason why he wouldn’t try either. Also remember that it wasn’t Ned cheating on her that bothered Cat it was the fact that he brought Jon home with him, because she was raised to turn a blind eye to her husband’s indiscretions as long as he doesn’t parade his mistresses/bastards around. 

Would Brandon/Cat be a beautiful love story like Ned/Cat? No but that doesn’t mean it would be another Robert/Cersei marriage. 

Also I’ve seen a lot of fanfics with this trope but who here thinks even if she did marry Brandon Ned/Cat would still be a thing?

18 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Its said they got along very well during the courtship period ....cat if i recall  even talks about how she initaly  thought she wouldnt like the seemingly more dour brother( ned) as much til she got to know him

Sansa got along with Joffrey before he ordered Ned’s execution.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:53 PM, Angel Eyes said:

So Brandon Stark son of Rickard (Ned's brother) was supposed to marry Catelyn Tully. Would it have worked out as a marriage? Or would have it turned out something like Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister?

Well, one is dead and the other is undead so I don't see much compatibility there 

Archived