MLB 2018: Bonfire of the Metropolitans

Myshkin

The Dodgers are a very good team. The Red Sox are better. For all the calls to fire Roberts for a coaching decision, meh. Fire the guy who got you to the WS two years in a row? Who knows what keeping Hill in would have done. 

At any rate, we're less heartbroken than last year. Though the prospect of losing Clayton hurts. I love that guy, through it all.

Congrats Dante.

And now the Bryce Harper watch begins.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

The Dodgers are a very good team. The Red Sox are better. For all the calls to fire Roberts for a coaching decision, meh. Fire the guy who got you to the WS two years in a row? Who knows what keeping Hill in would have done. 

At any rate, we're less heartbroken than last year. Though the prospect of losing Clayton hurts. I love that guy, through it all.

Congrats Dante.

Thanks kair. I appreciate it. I recognize this is an embarrassment of riches as a sports fan.

This was just an overwhelming Sox team that had a liberal dose of luck and a manager who got most of his decisions right. Now in retrospect this team can claim its place as one of the greatest in franchise history. I thought the 07 team was dominant, this team had that team's talent with the 2013 team's luck.

I hope you guys get Harper and take it all the way next year.

10 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Congrats Dante.

It’s not Roberts so much as what seems to be the front office’s slavish devotion to a predetermined game plan. Alex Cora did a great job of managing the game at hand, while Roberts seemed not to have a feel for (or was not allowed to act on his feel for) the game as it was being played. Every team absolutely needs to take advantage of advanced analytics, but these are human beings playing on the field, and analytics can’t tell you how a human being will perform from day to day or moment to moment. A manager needs to have a feel for how things are playing out in real time, and have the ability to adjust accordingly. And when your approach dictates that you bench several of your most dangerous hitters (and better defenders) for the first two games of the World Series, I’m gonna suggest you maybe rethink your strategy.

Not to take anything away from the Sawks; they were a monster team this year, and probably would have beat us anyway. But we should have won game four, and it was clearly over-managing that lost that game for us. And going into game five all tied up makes this a different series entirely. So yeah, Roberts shouldn’t be fired, but the approach this team has to drawing up and sticking to a predetermined game plan should be re-examined.

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

It’s not Roberts so much as what seems to be the front office’s slavish devotion to a predetermined game plan. Alex Cora did a great job of managing the game at hand, while Roberts seemed not to have a feel for (or was not allowed to act on his feel for) the game as it was being played.

Cora thoroughly out-managed Boone, Hinch, and Roberts in succession.  Some of that was definitely luck, he seemed to have the Midas touch, but I think it's quick clear he's head and shoulder above the other elite teams' guys in terms of game management.  Whether that's on the managers' decision-making themselves or the lack of freedom provided (or suggested) coming down from the FO is very difficult to discern from the outside.

16 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

@Myshkin

Fair points. I just saw a lot of vitriol on the Los Doyers Instagram post thanking fans. Irritated the fuck out of me. Mistakes were made. For sure.

At the end of the day we’ve been to the WS two years in a row. That’s a major accomplishment and something to be proud of and thankful for. But this year especially clear mistakes were made, and we have to learn from them.

11 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Congrats Dante.

That's a rough way for his season to end. 

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Kershaw opting out is risky as fuck.

I don't think so.  He has $70 million over the next two years.  Yes, that's a lot to take off the table on an annual basis.  But this is his last chance to sign a ridiculous contract.  And despite the injuries, someone will give him double that for five years.  Security always wins.

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Kershaw opting out is risky as fuck.

I agree with DMC.  He's going to get a long-term offer somewhere and in the slight chance he doesn't, he certainly can get a 1-year prove it deal at or near $30M.

38 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think so.  He has $70 million over the next two years.  Yes, that's a lot to take off the table on an annual basis.  But this is his last chance to sign a ridiculous contract.  And despite the injuries, someone will give him double that for five years.  Security always wins.

If he pitched the way Price did in the World Series I would take him in a heartbeat but he wasn't that impressive in the postseason and his health is a concern. More power to him if he gets what he wants from someone, I just hope that someone isn't the Yankees.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I just hope that someone isn't the Yankees.

Me too.  Don't expect it will.  But on that point it's time for George's kids to put up.  You got your luxury tax reset while rebuilding.  That move was wise, instead of languishing like the Knicks.  But now it's time to spend.  If the Yanks don't flex their financial muscle this offseason - when there's a ton of talent out there - I'm going to whine like a five year old.

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

If he pitched the way Price did in the World Series I would take him in a heartbeat but he wasn't that impressive in the postseason and his health is a concern. More power to him if he gets what he wants from someone, I just hope that someone isn't the Yankees.

There's sort of been a reversal of fortunes with Price because of this postseason. He's got an opt-out with four years left on his contract. A month ago, Red Sox fans in general were probably praying he'd opt out, but wouldn't, because he hasn't pitched like someone worth $31 million a year. Now he's riding high, the market is probably pretty hot for him, and with Sale's long-term longevity suddenly doubtful, Dombrowski may be praying he stays (though I'd still rather he walk, especially because Betts and others are going to need to get paid soon).

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Me too.  Don't expect it will.  But on that point it's time for George's kids to put up.  You got your luxury tax reset while rebuilding.  That move was wise, instead of languishing like the Knicks.  But now it's time to spend.  If the Yanks don't flex their financial muscle this offseason - when there's a ton of talent out there - I'm going to whine like a five year old.

Well Yankees are definitely gonna overpay for Corbin, so hopefully this year wasn’t just a mirage. They may give Andrew Miller another go too. Will be interesting to see if they go after Harper now. 

35 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Well Yankees are definitely gonna overpay for Corbin, so hopefully this year wasn’t just a mirage. They may give Andrew Miller another go too. Will be interesting to see if they go after Harper now. 

I think Miller's market has gone way down.  You offer him 2 years for 10 a year and I think he takes it.  That'd be cool.  Resigning Robertson is gonna cost more.  Then there's the starters. The need three.  Probably two once they resign CC, but still.  Corbin would be a start.  Harper would be what they should go after.  We'll see, I'm not optimistic.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

He kinda screwed himself out of that by making it known that he wants to be a Yankee. If he had kept quiet about that they would have written him a blank check.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

I think Miller's market has gone way down.  You offer him 2 years for 10 a year and I think he takes it.  That'd be cool.  Resigning Robertson is gonna cost more.  Then there's the starters. The need three.  Probably two once they resign CC, but still.  Corbin would be a start.  Harper would be what they should go after.  We'll see, I'm not optimistic.

I think you're spot on about Miller and would totally take him back. I think they might retain Happ and they're going to have to hit the trade market. If in the event they sign Machado I can see them shopping Andujar for a top notch starter. But given his antics in the postseason I think the Yankees have cooled on him. I want Harper, they need a left power bat in the lineup, especially with Didi out for a big chunk of the season and the Bird no longer being the word.

Archived