MLB 2018: Bonfire of the Metropolitans

Myshkin

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/lorena-martin-and-mariners-part-ways/?utm_content=bufferba624&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Boy, This is some really bad shit coming out of Seattle, and the M's are not looking good. Can't imagine that they're gonna get much in the way of FA's, not that that is what is important. I think it is abhorrent, and has really soured me on the entire upper management within the Mariners baseball operation. Kevin Mather should have been fired after the sexual harassment scandal broke, and if these allegations are true, and I think it is true, because it's probably pretty widespread across baseball. Dipoto, Servais, and McKay gotta go if there is even a shred of truth here.

17 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/lorena-martin-and-mariners-part-ways/?utm_content=bufferba624&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Boy, This is some really bad shit coming out of Seattle, and the M's are not looking good. Can't imagine that they're gonna get much in the way of FA's, not that that is what is important. I think it is abhorrent, and has really soured me on the entire upper management within the Mariners baseball operation. Kevin Mather should have been fired after the sexual harassment scandal broke, and if these allegations are true, and I think it is true, because it's probably pretty widespread across baseball. Dipoto, Servais, and McKay gotta go if there is even a shred of truth here.

Holy fuck this is ugly. I don't doubt that there is truth to it but could there also be embellishing as a result of getting fired?

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Holy fuck this is ugly. I don't doubt that there is truth to it but could there also be embellishing as a result of getting fired?

It could be, supposedly the Lakers (her previous employers) weren't sad to see her leave, so she might just be awful. I'm more inclined that the truth is somewhere in the middle ground.  racism is almost certainly an issue within baseball as a whole, so I think that it is entirely possible, and some of it might just be her being bitter, and perhaps rightly because it sounds like they gave her a massively broad mandate yet didn't really give her a support staff.

A good article from Lookout Landing about the subject and how it feels to be a fan right now

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/11/14/18092310/there-is-no-best-case-scenario-for-the-mariners-or-dr-lorena-martin-or-their-fans

13 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

It could be, supposedly the Lakers (her previous employers) weren't sad to see her leave, so she might just be awful. I'm more inclined that the truth is somewhere in the middle ground.  racism is almost certainly an issue within baseball as a whole, so I think that it is entirely possible, and some of it might just be her being bitter, and perhaps rightly because it sounds like they gave her a massively broad mandate yet didn't really give her a support staff.

A good article from Lookout Landing about the subject and how it feels to be a fan right now

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/11/14/18092310/there-is-no-best-case-scenario-for-the-mariners-or-dr-lorena-martin-or-their-fans

I'm going to take a look at the link a bit later but yeah. it is probably somewhere in between.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:24 PM, Triskele said:

A piece making the case that the Cardinals and Bryce Harper would be a good fit.  I'm skeptical just because of the price tag, but I sure would love to have an actual star player again.  It's been a likable but fairly anonymous bunch in recent years.  

I’d be pretty ok with the Cards getting Harper, but I really want the Giants to get him.

For Sheffield.  I know Erik Swanson and Dom Thompson-Williams because I'm a dork, but, it's basically Paxton for Sheffield.  I'll take it!  Sadly, still need another starter, but damn..did not expect something like this so quick.  Hopefully it means they mean business.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

For Sheffield.  I know Erik Swanson and Dom Thompson-Williams because I'm a dork, but, it's basically Paxton for Sheffield.  I'll take it!  Sadly, still need another starter, but damn..did not expect something like this so quick.  Hopefully it means they mean business.

This is a great deal. I think tomorrow was the deadline to add Swanson to the 40 man roster.  

Just now, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

This is a great deal. I think tomorrow was the deadline to add Swanson to the 40 man roster.  

It was, but the Yanks have plenty of 40 man space right now, no big concern.  So Paxton and Grey are basically salary neutral based on the MLBTR arbitration estimates, which are usually incredibly accurate.  If you add Gardner and CC's $15.5 million to Mike Axisa's estimate, the Yanks still have about $35 million under the luxury tax.  That's enough to address one more starter, re-sign Robertson, and a Didi replacement.  Question is, do they want to go all out?  They could easily sign Harper and Corbin and still be positioned to pay less in total salary than they have for years.  C'mon Hank, don't puss out now!

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

It was, but the Yanks have plenty of 40 man space right now, no big concern.  So Paxton and Grey are basically salary neutral based on the MLBTR arbitration estimates, which are usually incredibly accurate.  If you add Gardner and CC's $15.5 million to Mike Axisa's estimate, the Yanks still have about $35 million under the luxury tax.  That's enough to address one more starter, re-sign Robertson, and a Didi replacement.  Question is, do they want to go all out?  They could easily sign Harper and Corbin and still be positioned to pay less in total salary than they have for years.  C'mon Hank, don't puss out now!

I would prefer Harper to Machado too. I don't think he is going to stop at the threshold.  And Corbin isn't going to be the biggest acquisition.  

I want Harper because I want lefties, for the most part.  But also I still Andujar as a hitter.  Yes, he'll always suck defensively, but he's only 23.  Still can hope he can maybe not suck so much.  As for Corbin, I think his market may be overrated - everybody assumes he'll be $20 mil+ AAV.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's under on that.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

I want Harper because I want lefties, for the most part.  But also I still Andujar as a hitter.  Yes, he'll always suck defensively, but he's only 23.  Still can hope he can maybe not suck so much.  As for Corbin, I think his market may be overrated - everybody assumes he'll be $20 mil+ AAV.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's under on that.

I think he painted himself into a corner by making it known he wants to be a Yankee.  

Adrian Beltre has retired and almost certainly will end up in the HoF.  But I don't think he really belongs there.  There haven't been many 3000 hit guys who seemed so second-tier for virtually all of their careers.  But surviving 21 seasons adds up.  Even if he only made 4 All-Star teams.

Archived