MLB 2018: Bonfire of the Metropolitans

Myshkin

21 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Looks like the Yanks just traded away some pretty good prospects for J.A. Happ. Good luck with that, I guess.

Wouldn't call Drury a prospect at this point, and wouldn't describe McKinney as a "good" prospect - although he is good at getting traded.  Good deal for both teams - the Jay should definitely win it on production due to the years of control with Drury (and who knows, maybe McKinney will be something more than a 4th outfielder, though I doubt it).  But you can't really quantify having a reliable 4th starter in the playoffs - let alone someone that should give them many more innings than they're getting from that fifth spot over the next two months.  Plus, both Drury and McKinney were very much blocked.  Especially felt bad for Drury never really getting an opportunity.

Between this and the Britton deal, the Yanks shored up their staff while giving up one actual prospect (Tate).  Other than Gray, they now have four dependable guys in the rotation now, a crazy deep bullpen, and then a host of kids as depth - Cessa, German, Lasagna (if he gets healthy), Sheffield, Kahnle.  I like it.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Cubs trade for Cole Hamels. Don’t know the return yet.

A single A pitcher and player to be named later it would seem.

Sad the Chatwood thing hasn't worked out, but he can sit down for a while now.

And bow down to Anthony Rizzo. Bow down!

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Aaron Judge is out with a fractured wrist, it will be three weeks before he can swing a bat in game situations.  

Really sucks that Frazier is going through the concussion protocol right now, could've been the perfect opportunity for him.  Maybe the Yanks go out and find a bat in the next few days?  Moose tacos?  He could slide into basically Walker's role once Judge comes back and help spell both Bird and Andujar.

Also, interested to see how Boone deals with the lineup.  Bet he's not sure and will tinker based on performance, but I'd go Gardner/Stanton/Didi/Gleyber/Hicks/Bird/Andujar/Walker/Romine.  Regardless, a silver lining is this is a good chance for Gleyber to step up and prove he belongs at the top of the lineup.

2 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Felt great strolling around work in my Dodgers shirt today. So many sad Orioles fans commented on Machado. Delicious. (We live in DC but I work just south of Baltimore).

The lolz are real. You should upgrade to a jersey. 

56 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Felt great strolling around work in my Dodgers shirt today. So many sad Orioles fans commented on Machado. Delicious. (We live in DC but I work just south of Baltimore).

Eww, imagine being an Orioles fan. 

Rays are said to be willing to deal Archer, with Yanks, Dodgers, Pads, and Redbirds showing the most interest. Really hope we don’t overpay for a guy who hasn’t pitched like an ace in years.

@Jaime L

2 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Apparently Archer is under contract til 2021, so if anyone wants him they've got to be willing to sign up for a while.

Part of his appeal has always been those years of control at a cheap (~$7-8 million) rate, but the Rays asking price has been way too high for the past couple years.  Now they're not gonna net nearly the package they could have as recently as this offseason.  I suspect the Rays' price is still prohibitive to any non-stupid GM.

Archived