Those Blasted Starks

Curled Finger

39 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Yes, IMO. I believe the original NW was simply the dozen companions the LH had with him.

I hope I didn't offend you with my having to spit out everything I was thinking in order to work it out.   I do get the Santa analogy but it took a sentence or 2.   That's fair enough my friend.   I'm going to start keeping tabs.   Above you mentioned AA.  Do you believe AA is TLH? 

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

Above you mentioned AA.  Do you believe AA is TLH? 

I believe the stories of Azor Ahai, Eldric Shadowchaser, the Last Hero, and Hyrkoon are different myths based upon one person. The story (and names) have simply changed during the telling and retelling over thousands of years across thousands of miles. The key points remain the same though:

1) Saved the world from darkness.

2) Brought the light (Lightbringer).

2) Had a magical, fire sword.

There are too many similarities for me to believe they are separate people, although I do admit it is possible.

And if Dawn is this magic fire sword that our hero used... 

It would make sense that Eldric sounds like a name from the Dayne and Stark family. Edric Dayne, Edric Stark, Ulrick Dune (carried Dawn as the Sword of the Morning)...

Could George be telling us something here? Our hero was a Stark using Dawn? A Dayne had to bring it to a Stark? Sort of a reverse on Eddard (happens to start with Ed like Edric) returning Dawn to Starfall?

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Forget what I think--the names and legends are similar enough to be a single person and feat.  Eldric sounds very Dayne-ish, doesn't it?   Curious we get nothing except the name for that one.   I'm pretty sure there was an Eldric Stark, but I could be insane, too.  I get your point here and it's valuable.   There are similarities in name and material, probably deed.  But are they the same person or simple takes on the same legend in different regions?  

There was Edrick Snowbeard. And an Edric Stark, son of Cregan. Apart from these two only Edric's are a Dayne and Edric Storm(sholdn't he be flowers?)

These are all the same person, even in our world details of a story change slowly over time if it's passed down or spreaded through oral traditions. That is why Red Rahloo's text is only 5000 years old when the longnight was 8000 years ago. It took sometime for the legend to travel there and then to be written down.

Last Hero and Azor Ahai, two heroes that saved planetos through great sacrifice also share a small detail in that both of their stories include a breaking sword.

I have long thought that Starks were a cadet(or perhaps changed the house name) and I believe posted it again in something related to old night, rhllor and such, I may elaborate it a bit as to why I think that way; Durran was house Durrandon's founder and many of that house is named Durran. This makes me think -don is something to the extent of "'s son" or "'s line" or something similiar.

While the founder of the Starks was Brandon, and there are many Brans and Brandons, it's not the house's name. 

There are more stuff that comes to mind; Brandon of the Bloody Blade, supposed ancestor of Brandon the Builder drove the giants away from the reach while his descendant built the wall with the help of the giants. What if these two are the same? Or perhaps both of them were coming from the line of Bran, and their names or lost, or they were simply Bran Brandon. 13th LC is a Stark, supposedly. What if he was a Brandon and Starks, then a not house not so great and widely known changed their names?

While this may be pushing it a bit(a lot) but what if Dayne also comes from Don? Think of Brynden likely coming from Brandon. 

So Bran was the ancestor of both houses, somewhere down the line a member, of the bloody blade, drives giants out of the Reach to the North and either he or a descendant builds the wall with the giants' labor. Then incident with the NK and they change their name to Stark and Daynes go with Dayne. 

Though irrelevant here, Some more speculation on Starks, two of the oldest Ballads in the Citadel have a Winter King driving the giants away from North. Another felled the skinchanger king Gaven Greywolf and his kin in "War of the Wolves" These two are not "among the oldest northern ballads known" but "among the oldest ballads known" anywhere may very well be the oldest ballads.

See then how the first is very in line with Brandon of the Bloody Blade driving the giants from Reach, Brandon the Builder using their labor to build the wall, and a King of Winter, one of the earliest ones if not the first and likely named Brandon as most of them are, driving them away from the North.

And of the second;

- we are told how songs get many new details, some changes and lose some other details; like kingsguard knights thousands of years before conquest or a falcon riding king being Arryn before there were any Arryns. 

- We know it's common practice to take the daughter of a defeated ruler as wife, and we see it especially with Kings of Winter.

- We see it's also not uncommon to take one's wife's sigil, house words, house name; a Lydden king taking the Lannister name, sigil and words, Orys taking Durrandon words and sigil.

So What if "proto-starks" desperate for a new start because of what happened with Night's King, took on Gaven Greywolf's sigil after felling him and taking the daughter to wife? As a side note, this is also the first time where a "Stark" interacted with a skinchanger.

3 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

And if Dawn is this magic fire sword that our hero used... 

It would make sense that Eldric sounds like a name from the Dayne and Stark family. Edric Dayne, Edric Stark, Ulrick Dune (carried Dawn as the Sword of the Morning)...

Could George be telling us something here? Our hero was a Stark using Dawn? A Dayne had to bring it to a Stark? Sort of a reverse on Eddard (happens to start with Ed like Edric) returning Dawn to Starfall?

Wiktionary says Ulric is either old high german uodal(heritage, homestead) + rihhi (ruler) or old english wulf + ric; wolf ruler. A hint perhaps that our most beloved wolves are connected to the star and sword?

On swords, must fire sword really be a fire sword? What if it's a one with no fire on it but it's burning it's enemies, like Samwell,s encounter, hence the name firesword. Or it could very well be ancients warned that only the fire kill the wights but fire or a flame weapon became a fiery sword over time.

Also on weapons; obsidian is frozen fire an obsidian "sword" would be a fire sword.

Samwell found stuff on dragonsteel, though Valyrian steel only came to westeros after the Andal Invasions(but there were dragons in Westeros, battle island and seadragon point) with Corbrays being the first family ee know and it only became more common 500 years ago(around the time Targaryens came, coincidence?). It is suggested Valyrian Steel has bloodsacrifice in it's making, and blood sacrifice is what Azor Ahai does with Nissa Nissa.

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Indeed. And remember the Reeds' astonishment when Bran tells the, he has never heard anything about the tourney at Harrenhal. 

Well, in all fairness only Jojen was surprised. Meera was just happy to tell the story. :P

10 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Why doesn't Bran know his father's bannerman's oath of fealty? 

The implication is that it has been a long time since it was last spoken. It really serves to underline just how much the North - and Winterfell- have forgotten compared to their allies in the wet wilds...

Though I do wonder if some of the secrets surrounding the LH and what he did aren’t well known in the Reed family. The implication at the end of Dance is that Bran can see through the trees to see past events and that the goal is for him to see beyond the trees. Yet he finds it hard to fully understand what he is seeing and ‘asks the Reeds’ to clarify.

So perhaps a vision Bran sees will prompt a lesson.

Anyway- on my phone right now so I’ll come back later! 

Some other thoughts on Brandon of the Bloody Blade

He slew so many children in Blue lake it became known as Red Lake.

Red Lake belongs to house Crane, a house whose female members are supposedly skinchangin into cranes. it's founder is the skinchanger ROSE of RED LAKE, not BLUE. So it was founded after Children were killed by Brandon. Going forward, Crane sigil is five golden Cranes on a LIGHT BLUE field. Winter roses, so associated with Stark females are light blue.

I remember theories on Battle Island being the place where the tide of the others were stopped. Taking that theory as a fact, here's a theory, feel free to have at it;

Brandon of the Bloody Blade is The Last Hero, after the tide of the others were stopped at Battle Island in the Reach, he gave pursuit to the others. He seeked out children not to ask for their help, but to kill them becauase they brought the others down on them or at least men thought so. He didn't expel giants from the Reach, he recruited them into his ranks(either forcibly or willingly as they also saw the threat of the others) he pushed the others as far North as he could, and perhaps after an armistice, and perhaps where Winterfell is, he built the wall. Why he forced the giants out of the North I do not know but Wildlings are also north of the wall so perhaps they went willingly, or perhaps they were sent out there into the others' territory as a death sentence.

15 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Why doesn't Bran know his father's bannerman's oath of fealty?   

You have to remember that Eddard's words to Robert Baratheon from Game.

"This land is old, your grace."

The culture and bloodlines of the people of the North (well, actually the First Men in general) are ancient. Like decamillennial (aka 10,000+ years) ancient. 

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me - and a bunch of other people too - that the big First Men families are closely related and/or go way, way, way, way back. Particularly the Starks and the Reeds...

Reading through this thread as well as Heresy 210 is convincing me that House Dayne has a huge part to play in the finale of this series and that it chiefly has to do with their ties to House Stark. The Mormonts, the Hornwoods, the Cerwyns and the Manderlys clearly owe the Starks everything that they have and are. The Reeds and the Karstarks have very close, very strong family ties to the Starks. The Boltons and the Starks have been beefing since the first Long Night. The Starks even have strong connects south of the neck in the Blackwoods, the Royces, and even the Targaryens. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Proto-Starks and the Proto-Valyrians had history.

There has to be some reason why the Valyrian dragonlords never touched mainland Westeros when they were more than capable of doing so. Dragonstone also appears to be older than what we think. Did the Proto-Targaryens play a role in the Westerosi Age of Heroes and the Long Night?

Now that I think of it, no matter where you look, the Starks seem to be at the very epicenter of this Long Night, deep mysteries thing.

I used to wonder why GRRM put the Starks at the absolute center of the story with 5 (6 if you count Jon) POVs. Now, I get it.

9 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Proto-Starks and the Proto-Valyrians had history.

I had a half baked theory that Valyrians were either an off shoot branch of the migrating first men or First men had some proto-Valyrian blood mixed to them while passing near, or through, the northern part of peninsula.

In our world Huns took some goths among them as they were moving ever westward. 

This also help explain Daynish eyes.

13 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

On swords, must fire sword really be a fire sword? What if it's a one with no fire on it but it's burning it's enemies, like Samwell,s encounter, hence the name firesword.

You're right. It doesn't have to be a fire sword. When I say 'firesword', I'm talking anything dragon, dragonglass, dragonsteel, obsidian, and/or fire. 

However, I do think there is a special sword out there (probably Dawn) which is even more effective against the Others. And the 'North (of the wall) remembers'.

Ser Waymar met him bravely. “Dance with me then.” He lifted his sword high over his head, defiant. His hands trembled from the weight of it, or perhaps from the cold. Yet in that moment, Will thought, he was a boy no longer, but a man of the Night’s Watch.

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. For a heartbeat he dared to hope.

It seems to me that these Others may have been concerned with the sword Will carried. But maybe it is because only a certain someone can carry this certain sword? Or is it just the sword? 

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Some other thoughts on Brandon of the Bloody Blade

He slew so many children in Blue lake it became known as Red Lake.

Red Lake belongs to house Crane, a house whose female members are supposedly skinchangin into cranes. it's founder is the skinchanger ROSE of RED LAKE, not BLUE. So it was founded after Children were killed by Brandon. Going forward, Crane sigil is five golden Cranes on a LIGHT BLUE field. Winter roses, so associated with Stark females are light blue.

I remember theories on Battle Island being the place where the tide of the others were stopped. Taking that theory as a fact, here's a theory, feel free to have at it;

Brandon of the Bloody Blade is The Last Hero, after the tide of the others were stopped at Battle Island in the Reach, he gave pursuit to the others. He seeked out children not to ask for their help, but to kill them becauase they brought the others down on them or at least men thought so. He didn't expel giants from the Reach, he recruited them into his ranks(either forcibly or willingly as they also saw the threat of the others) he pushed the others as far North as he could, and perhaps after an armistice, and perhaps where Winterfell is, he built the wall. Why he forced the giants out of the North I do not know but Wildlings are also north of the wall so perhaps they went willingly, or perhaps they were sent out there into the others' territory as a death sentence.

A while back someone proposed an idea that perhaps this bloody blade is not his sword, but his penis. Brandon bred with the children as well as killed them. Maybe George is toying with the bloody sword/bloody penis symbolism, i.e. Barbrey Dustin's talk in the crypts with Theon about another Brandon.

17 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Do you believe AA is TLH? 

I believe the stories of Azor Ahai, Eldric Shadowchaser, the Last Hero, and Hyrkoon are different myths based upon one person. The story (and names) have simply changed during the telling and retelling over thousands of years across thousands of miles. The key points remain the same though:

1) Saved the world from darkness.

2) Brought the light (Lightbringer).

2) Had a magical, fire sword.

There are too many similarities for me to believe they are separate people, although I do admit it is possible.

Along with what I wrote here, I wanted to add that Hyrkoon is based on Yyrkoon (the Elric series) and Eldric Shadowchaser is based on Elric of Melnibone. I said earlier that those two characters had magical swords like our Last Hero. I forgot to mention that these magic swords could steal souls. Nissa Nissa, anyone?

9 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

"This land is old, your grace."

The culture and bloodlines of the people of the North (well, actually the First Men in general) are ancient. Like decamillennial (aka 10,000+ years) ancient. 

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me - and a bunch of other people too - that the big First Men families are closely related and/or go way, way, way, way back. Particularly the Starks and the Reeds...

Reading through this thread as well as Heresy 210 is convincing me that House Dayne has a huge part to play in the finale of this series and that it chiefly has to do with their ties to House Stark. The Mormonts, the Hornwoods, the Cerwyns and the Manderlys clearly owe the Starks everything that they have and are. The Reeds and the Karstarks have very close, very strong family ties to the Starks. The Boltons and the Starks have been beefing since the first Long Night. The Starks even have strong connects south of the neck in the Blackwoods, the Royces, and even the Targaryens. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Proto-Starks and the Proto-Valyrians had history.

There has to be some reason why the Valyrian dragonlords never touched mainland Westeros when they were more than capable of doing so. Dragonstone also appears to be older than what we think. Did the Proto-Targaryens play a role in the Westerosi Age of Heroes and the Long Night?

Now that I think of it, no matter where you look, the Starks seem to be at the very epicenter of this Long Night, deep mysteries thing.

I used to wonder why GRRM put the Starks at the absolute center of the story with 5 (6 if you count Jon) POVs. Now, I get it.

I love a good conspiracy of thoughts, Jabar and thank you for your interesting reminders and ideas.   It's hard to determine what ASOIAF is really about.   It's got something for everyone and I've been hoovering over the Others and greater bad more than anything forever.   However, the history has obviously hooked me as an integral part of the mystery.  Those Starks sure do seem to be in the thick of everything, don't they?  But it's so clear that GRRM tries really hard to put the Targs out front with a double scoop of mysterious history.  Ice and Fire, my friend and I could not agree more with you that those elements go back much farther than we are led to believe.    We know there were dragons in Westeros as well as the Hightower base, Battle Island and people.   You call them proto, but I will call them the real 1st Men.  The Daynes claim their dude followed his shooting star all the way to Starfall then built his castle and forged his sword 10,000 years ago.  8000 years ago something called dragon steel is introduced to combat the Others.   Dragon steel?   There was no steel!   Except that we know the Rhoynish, Iron Born and Andals did fine work with iron while we are told our 2nd influx of immigrants only had bronze weapons. And that Dayne with the meteor sword.  We've got that curious tale of Lann the Clever tricking Garth Greenhand then the Andals a bit later, but he only lived 300 years.   Bran the Builder is credited with The Wall, Winterfell, Storms End and the Hightower.  None of this adds up unless there were all sorts of people in Westeros before the second 1st Men came.  I'm including your Valyrians and Andals, maybe some folks or creatures from Sothorios, but definitely some slavers and slaves, traders and merchants and simple immigrants from all over.    Now, this could have been "the seeding" of Westeros with enough magical people and creatures to enact whatever magic lie in wait and it could have just been the way Essos grew perhaps from Ulthros.   

The second 1st Men were not merchants or traders.  They were fierce and barbaric as seen in the Thenns who are supposed to be "closest" to the 1st Men.  Almost a devolution of population that already established the Citadel and agriculture and architecture and meteoric swords.  The second 1st Men brought war like true invaders.  We even know the COTF refused some gift or aid from Garth Greenhand and he was so offended that his son, Brandon of the Bloody Blade, went north to destroy all the singers and their weirwood.  The first 1st Men didn't seem to have a problem with the locals.  

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to surmonize, I'm just totally down with you and agreeing with the little things I've found.   Whether we like it or not, there was progress in Westeros well before the (second) 1st Men came along.   The more I think this the more convinced I am that all the heroes, Old Man River, Hykroon, the woman with the monkey tail, Sword of the Morning, Yin Tar, Eldric, TLH, AA, Galladon, Simeon Star Eyes--all of them were individual people from all over the world in exactly the wrong place at precisely the wrong time.   

5 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Along with what I wrote here, I wanted to add that Hyrkoon is based on Yyrkoon (the Elric series) and Eldric Shadowchaser is based on Elric of Melnibone. I said earlier that those two characters had magical swords like our Last Hero. I forgot to mention that these magic swords could steal souls. Nissa Nissa, anyone?

That's such good stuff.    If I ever finish with this last big topic we are working on I promise myself I'm going to read about the real Shadowchaser.   

8 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That's such good stuff.    If I ever finish with this last big topic we are working on I promise myself I'm going to read about the real Shadowchaser.   

I think by using those two names (Hyrkoon and Eldric) and who those characters are based on with their magic soul stealing swords like AA with Lightbringer, George is trying to point us in the direction that all those legendary characters (LH, AA, Hyrkoon, and Eldric Shadowchaser) are actually the same person. 

Or, I could be wrong. :dunno:

14 hours ago, Faera said:

Well, in all fairness only Jojen was surprised. Meera was just happy to tell the story. :P

The implication is that it has been a long time since it was last spoken. It really serves to underline just how much the North - and Winterfell- have forgotten compared to their allies in the wet wilds...

Though I do wonder if some of the secrets surrounding the LH and what he did aren’t well known in the Reed family. The implication at the end of Dance is that Bran can see through the trees to see past events and that the goal is for him to see beyond the trees. Yet he finds it hard to fully understand what he is seeing and ‘asks the Reeds’ to clarify.

So perhaps a vision Bran sees will prompt a lesson.

Anyway- on my phone right now so I’ll come back later! 

I believe it was you, my friend, who once had the idea that Meera and Jojen were feeling Bran out for what he knows and Meera's very specific telling of the events at Harrenhal was designed to gauge Bran's reaction and knowledge.   You always come up with the mind blowers, so it's yours!   I recently reread the Bran chapters and noted the odd statement Jojen makes about the "truth beneath the world".  Contrast that with Meera's love/hate relationship with the hills and mountains and it feels like education.    I think they are teaching Bran all the things he should have known to become a greenseer.   They know what greenseers actually do.  

The Reeds no doubt understand much more about this quest of Bran's than they let on.  He's fortunate to have such loyal, resourceful and educated companions.  

11 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I think by using those two names (Hyrkoon and Eldric) and who those characters are based on with their magic soul stealing swords like AA with Lightbringer, George is trying to point us in the direction that all those legendary characters (LH, AA, Hyrkoon, and Eldric Shadowchaser) are actually the same person. 

Or, I could be wrong. :dunno:

We could all be wrong, my friend!   We've got a tricksy author here.   I appreciate this info because I don't know who these people were outside of ASOIAF.   Our friend, @hiemal is a big proponent of the soul stealing properties of our swords.   I'm afraid he's given me the bug, too.   I'm reading all our swords with an interest to whom they kill.   Man I love this stuff!  

I know this will probably sound daft but... given that all the Lord of Winterfell and Kings before them got statutes, I wonder if that means that Bran will recognise more and more members of his own family as he starts to actively use his tree-seeing powers?

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I believe it was you, my friend, who once had the idea that Meera and Jojen were feeling Bran out for what he knows and Meera's very specific telling of the events at Harrenhal was designed to gauge Bran's reaction and knowledge.   You always come up with the mind blowers, so it's yours!

Feels like a "thousand years ago" -- in one of your brilliant "TLC" (as in crannogman not tender-lovin'-care) threads where the question of Howland Reed and what he - and his children - know was a prime topic. I know that it is a popular view that Howland and his kids "know everything" but I definitely follow the more conservative view that Howland hasn't shared everything with both of his children -- one might know about certain things, while the other doesn't. 

/warning: Faera goes off on a tangent!/ I certainly remember arguing the point that between them Jojen and Meera know different things and have different opinions on things. Meera's lack of surprise over Bran knowing the Harrenhal story has always indicated to me that Howland told her the ins-and-outs, including the emotional aspects and the effect everything had on the "characters", that he never did with Jojen... or Jojen simply never thought to ask those questions. There are also several moments in the story where Meera is forced seemingly to leave bits out or skip ahead because Bran is keen to get to the tourney aspects. Then there is the inclusion of "The Maid with Laughing Purple Eyes" -- which seems to be an attempt by her to see whether he will comment on his father or Ashara Dayne. She significantly smarter at feeling Bran out than Jojen is -- who just keeps blurting out, "Seriously, dude? You don't know this stuff?!" which highlights his inability to read social cues etc...

As part of my many "how much do the Reedlings know" I have often factored in their character traits into how they might have acquired knowledge from their father in different ways:

Jojen relies on his dreams for everything. So, his knowledge likely roots from that-- if he had a dream and went to his father about it, Howland would be obligated to help him contextualise it. This might be why Jojen can't be bothered to even play with the idea that the KotLT was a crannogman because he probably knows it was Lyanna. Granted, Meera probably knows too but she's fun and coy enough to "play ball" and introduce some whimsy to Bran. (PS: When Meera brings up the KotLT... anyone ever get the feeling that Jojen's reaction was akin to, "UGH! not this story AGAIN!" :lmao:)

In comparison, Meera doesn't have the green sight as far as we know, so her knowledge relies on her having deduced it herself by asking the right questions. Thus, what she knows is likely because when Howland would tell her this story, she would ask the "right" questions to come to a conclusion. We also need to bear in mind that Jojen's character is, essentially, linked to the fact that he is marked for death and knows it. Therefore, it makes sense that Howland has always viewed Meera as his heir. It is "The Lady Meera Reed with her brother Jojen" not "Jojen Reed with his sister the Lady Meera".  She has the demeanor of someone who trained to see the bigger picture -- a skill she tries to instill in Bran, too. In other words, she has been trained to be Lady of Greywater and thus Howland tells her anything that might be important for when she takes over.

What is also made fairly clear by GRRM in these very chapters though is that Meera doesn't like having to do what Jojen says any more than Bran does. When Bran is presented with a choice that hinges on what Jojen wants to do, he never wants to do it. He resents the reverence accorded to Jojen and his green sight but also because he is "The Prince" and wants to feel in control of the situation. Meera really does argue with Jojen, question him and will not take everything he says lying down with exhausting other avenues. Bran thinks she always does what Jojen wants... but she's not a pushover and ultimately manages to twist the situation in such a way that gives Bran the final say.  After Bran has his negative knee jerk reaction to Jojen, it is Meera who will then address Bran directly and give him all the knowledge he needs to make an informed choice. It's very lordly... and a little consorty, too. It  shows he listens to anyone in that group, it is her, and also that she is much better at "reading the room" and figuring out the nuance. Yes, yes... there is no doubt that Bran listens to her because he's tween in love with her but also because she doesn't talk down to him or confuse him. I think Howland likely knew this when he sent his children to help the "Winged Wolf" -- he knew that Jojen himself is not a great ambassador and is very tunnel visioned, so, he entrusted Meera with things she needed to know and encouraged her to not let Jojen get carried away and to do her best to connect to Bran as much as possible.

Bloody hell! Just look at that rambling tangent I just went on. Sorry! As I've told you before, I'm sure, I love Bran's chapters the best and House Reed are my absolute favourites so I hope you can forgive me... /tangent end/

The TL;DR is that the Reedlings are not one character spread across two separate characters but have different knowledge and personalities that aid and compliment Bran (as well as each other). One thing that I think might be spread between them is Howland's secrets. There are some things Howland would never have told them ever, somethings he only told Meera and other things he had to tell Jojen because he had a dream about them and THUS it meant he had to contextualise it, like the winged wolf dream.

I recently reread the Bran chapters and noted the odd statement Jojen makes about the "truth beneath the world".  Contrast that with Meera's love/hate relationship with the hills and mountains and it feels like education.    I think they are teaching Bran all the things he should have known to become a greenseer.   They know what greenseers actually do.  

Dang, how did I miss that quote when I was doing my "Green Dreams of an Underground River" write up?

The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world..." - ASOS, Bran I.

That could almost be Jojen literally saying there's stuff going on that you can't even fathom, which we know know is true.

But I actually really, really love that speech Jojen and Meera give about mountains.

"Up and down," Meera would sigh sometimes as they walked, "then down and up. Then up and down again. I hate these stupid mountains of yours, Prince Bran."
"Yesterday you said you loved them."
"Oh, I do. My lord father told me about mountains, but I never saw one till now. I love them more than I can say."
Bran made a face at her. "But you just said you hated them."
"Why can't it be both?" Meera reached up to pinch his nose.
"Because they're different," he insisted. "Like night and day, or ice and fire."
"If ice can burn," said Jojen in his solemn voice, "then love and hate can mate. Mountain or marsh, it makes no matter. The land is one."
"One," his sister agreed, "but over wrinkled." - ASOS, Bran II.

It plays into the youth and naivety of the group but also a profound statement that opposites are still part of the same experience. Honestly, a part of me wishes they'd just stayed under Tumbledown Tower a little longer and we just had them talking about things for a chapter or two. :P

The Reeds no doubt understand much more about this quest of Bran's than they let on.  He's fortunate to have such loyal, resourceful and educated companions.

I wonder if Howland Reed ever intended it to just be Bran's quest but also his children's quest as well. Jojen seems destined to die at Greywater... so what better thing than to given him a real sense of purpose by sending him on a long and winding journey to help "the neo last hero" achieve his goals while also meeting a real greenseer. And Meera... who had lived such a sheltered life while also feeling Howland's sense of fun and adventure he felt in his youth. Her going on this journey to help Bran and aid him to grow as a Prince and Hero allows her to finally see the world while acquiring knowledge of things arcane as her father did when he went to the Isle of Faces.

Archived