Robert Stanek strikes again!

Lord Patrek

One can't help admiring someone who is so industrious that he creates legions of fake fans and fake authors to praise his work.

I see that he also claims to have won the US Distinguished Flying Cross.  Presumably, that's also untrue?

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

One can't help admiring someone who is so industrious that he creates legions of fake fans and fake authors to praise his work.

I see that he also claims to have won the US Distinguished Flying Cross.  Presumably, that's also untrue?

Yes, no evidence of it anywhere, at least I did not find any, and I'm not the only one, see: http://conjugalfelicity.com/robert-stanek/

1 hour ago, Errant Bard said:

Yes, no evidence of it anywhere, at least I did not find any, and I'm not the only one, see: http://conjugalfelicity.com/robert-stanek/

You do get people who like to fake their military record.

There was a UKIP councillor in Thanet, who used to march in British Legion parades, with his chest covered in medal ribbons.  It turned out, he'd never served in the armed forces.  His girlfriend (also a councillor), who was registered blind, crashed her car into the fence of a garden centre, after stealing several garden gnomes from them.  Not for nothing is the district called Planet Thanet.

This was funny. I especially enjoy how he made up an author called Emily Asimov :)

It lends a certain credibility and "oh wow that can only be a descedendant of the legendary Isaac" when in reality, it's Stanek himself, there is no Emily.

Does Amazon have any reason and/or ability to shut down this type of thing? It doesn't necessarily seem illegal, but it's definitely scummy. Since they don't condone sock puppet reviews (although I'm sure they still abound), wouldn't they also want to dissuade others from creating these obviously fake authors solely for the purpose of fake author reviews? Plenty of writers use pseudonyms, but certainly not often for this kind of weird, surely-unprofitable, duplicitous skullduggery.

Archived