What were Robb's other options after bedding Jeyne Westerling?

Angel Eyes

So Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling after bedding her is definitely a bad move. What else could he have done? 

I've speculated that he could have had Edmure marry Jeyne. He's a Lord Paramount's heir, she's got an illustrious name. Besides, Edmure should be "rewarded" for his "victory" in the Battle of the Fords. And it's past time he was wed.

Move on like nothing happened and proceed to wed Roslyn.

As much as I like Robb and the Stark family in general, seriously these people are the only ones in the series who like to over-analyse every single bit of an action and therefore deciding what is the best thing to do in those situations. Sometimes you don't do nothing, just put the matter aside and move on. 

11 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling after bedding her is definitely a bad move. What else could he have done? 

I've speculated that he could have had Edmure marry Jeyne. He's a Lord Paramount's heir, she's got an illustrious name. Besides, Edmure should be "rewarded" for his "victory" in the Battle of the Fords. And it's past time he was wed.

He didn't have to marry Jeyne to nobody, and Edmure could've move on with his bachelor life which he seemed to like. 

13 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Almost all of his bannermen had a better status than the westerlings...

He could easily arrange for a proper marriage for jeyne despite having "ruined" her. Hell, if she didn t want one of his bannermen he could even use his Money to give her a better drowry that would attract a lord of her choosing...

Robb married her no only for honnor but also because of love...

Ser Kevan answered. "He chose the girl's honor over his own. Once he had deflowered her, he had no other course"

I kinda agree with that. I belive Robb chose his seeds honor. The only thing unpleasant thing in Robbs life was Jon sulking and Cat being all Cat like to Jon. "I will never father a bastard!" Jons got his share of screws loose involving sex love bastards and marriage, I think some of it got onto Robb.

So Robb did right by the childs point of view, if Jeynes even pregnant, probably not though being all fatherless. The right political move? Call her an Uber and get back to your day

Just move on with his life like nothing happened. Its not like he raped her or anything. 

Due to both Ned's honor and Catelyn's dislike of Jon Snow, Robb was probably scared of fathering a bastard on Jeyne. Lets say Robb wins, returns North and reigns as King, just imagine the political strife there would be if Jeyne had a royal bastard. Catelyn was worried about Jon Snow stealing Robb's inheritance of being the Lord of Winterfell, imagine everyone's worry that this kid could try to steal Roslin's children's inheritance of being the Winter King, it would be like Daemon Blackfyre come again. 

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

The only honorable option = marry a Frey girl and have a bastard with Jeyne if she was pregnant.  His obligation to Walder Frey was more important and greater than his to Jeyne.  Walder's son got killed while fighting for Robb.  Robb owed Walder a lot.

Given his honourable image and upbringing not many....but being so trusting of the freys after such an insult was bad

Maybe keep freys in his force at arms lenght and in the dark and march to the twins again, when freys open gates have his men sober and secure gates as he goes in.with them....THEN plead forgiveness  to lord frey and seek another deal

at this stage hes also dealing with ironborn invasion ,loss of winterfell and his brothers as well as karstarks and stannis broken and tyrell+lannister union...all while walder frey and roose talk secretly to tywin so not only does he need to secure forgiveness he needs to improve his odds somehow so they wont betray him later  ie get dorne or the vale  involved etc

15 minutes ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Given his honourable image and upbringing not many....but being so trusting of the freys after such an insult was bad

The Freys were going to betray Robb before he slept with Jeyne.  Lets all stop thinking that Robb alienates them or something; both the text and GRRM make it clear that there was no situation in which the Freys aren't breaking faith, Jeyne or no.

By the standards of typical diplomacy, Robb is right to be trusting; he made a mistake, but is putting forth a good-faith effort to make it right.  Given that Walder Frey is getting what he pretty obviously wanted in the first place (marrying a daughter to Edmure), it should've been fine

2 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

The Freys were going to betray Robb before he slept with Jeyne.  Lets all stop thinking that Robb alienates them or something; both the text and GRRM make it clear that there was no situation in which the Freys aren't breaking faith, Jeyne or no.

By the standards of typical diplomacy, Robb is right to be trusting; he made a mistake, but is putting forth a good-faith effort to make it right.  Given that Walder Frey is getting what he pretty obviously wanted in the first place (marrying a daughter to Edmure), it should've been fine

Where does grmm say that ?

My impression is they are clearly shifty and quite ambitious  with their attitude ,oddly they are at same time dishonurable but also prickly about their honour!  initaly seem to be genuine in their commitmemt to alliance  as it suits them more but as the tide turns im sure tywins sister is the back channel the roose/frey duo reached out to tywin with

1 hour ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

Where does grmm say that ?

My impression is they are clearly shifty and quite ambitious  with their attitude ,oddly they are at same time dishonurable but also prickly about their honour!  initaly seem to be genuine in their commitmemt to alliance  as it suits them more but as the tide turns im sure tywins sister is the back channel the roose/frey duo reached out to tywin with

See below from So Spake Martin:

"What if" questions are impossible to answer with any certainty... knowing old Lord Walder's character, it is likely he would have searched for some way to disentangle himself from a losing cause sooner or later, but his desertion would likely have taken a less savage form. The Red Wedding was motivated by his desire to wash out the dishonor that was done him...

Walder is going to betray Robb no matter what happens with Jeyne.  Losing House Frey isn't what costs Robb the war; Stannis losing at the Blackwater is.  I'm not saying that Robb breaking his promise isn't an issue, as you see above, it clearly was.  But if Robb had also come back with Tywin's head in a basket and an alliance with Mace Tyrell, Walder would have been all too happy to get his marriage to Edmure and Arya and move on as the third most powerful guy in the realm (after Robb and Edmure).

And there is no such thing as "genuine commitment" if it's predicated on who is winning.  It's just sheer opportunism.

Archived