KJ Parker recommendation

shortstark

Just read KJ Parker story in Book Of Swords and quite liked it, problem is I think I tried a full length novel way back and bounced hard off it.. So what would boarders who recommend who have read that short story? I know there is threads existing, but this is more focused.. 

Maybe 'The Two of Swords'. It came out as a seriel novel, so a new section each month or so, but has recently been collected in 3 volumes. Each section is related, but to some degree it is collection of short work. Alternatively, it may be best to try one of his more recent standalones, such as Sharps, Savages or The Folding Knife. Academic Exercises his first short story collection is probably my favourite thing he has done, but not sure how easy it is to get hold of.

Nearly all the work released under KJ Parker (really Tom Holt) is set in the same world, but no real connecting story (apart from the trilogies). The novel length work generally has a much lower level of magic compared to his shorter work, and generally they are a little less overtly humorous too.

The Path to Anger: The Book and the Sword #1 by Antoine Rouaud (2013).  Second volume, The Ember in the Ashes, supposedly comes out November of this year, here in the US.  Translated from the French.

The voice and tone of narrator of Parker's story, and his background, are very similar to that of one of the primary figures in The Path to Anger -- despite being written originally in French.

I haven't read that short story yet, but generally speaking I'd also recommend Academic Exercises. It has some good short stories and Parker's really great epistolary novella Purple and Black. If you want to give another novel a try, I liked the The Folding Knife best. The Two of Swords is also tons of fun, with a quite original narrative structure that unforunately gets abandoned in the last volume.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

The Path to Anger: The Book and the Sword #1 by Antoine Rouaud (2013).  Second volume, The Ember in the Ashes, supposedly comes out November of this year, here in the US.  Translated from the French.

The voice and tone of narrator of Parker's story, and his background, are very similar to that of one of the primary figures in The Path to Anger -- despite being written originally in French.

I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, kiyoaki said:

I haven't read that short story yet, but generally speaking I'd also recommend Academic Exercises. It has some good short stories and Parker's really great epistolary novella Purple and Black. If you want to give another novel a try, I liked the The Folding Knife best. The Two of Swords is also tons of fun, with a quite original narrative structure that unforunately gets abandoned in the last volume.

I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Thank you.

Path to Anger was, according to the info on the web, "among the most highly anticipated debut fantasy novels ... published simultaneously in German, Dutch, Spanish and English translation," when it came out in France.

The buzz was evidently loud in the UK and Europe, but maybe not here?  I only recently stumbled across Rouaud.

Archived