The execution of Janos Slynt was spot on vol 2

kissdbyfire

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, I guess I'm out of here. Or has anybody to contribute anything of substance?

No need for the pout lip. :mellow:You may be able to shed some sunshine on my partial statement question.

44 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:devil: Let me try to help get back on track. Rheagar and Lyanna's son was chosen to lead the NW and he beheaded Slynt. Then there was a mutiny. :unsure:

Puts a different spin on the subject, Yes?

On 8/8/2018 at 2:42 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Note the bolded-there is never once any argument what Alliser ordering recruits to engage with Sam in basic training even if Sam does not try to defend himself is illegal. The peer being humiliated does not matter because he will not perform in basic training other recruits get to be insubanite because the one will feel bad should they follow their directions. And the only injury can arise would be due to Sam's unwillingness to try isn't really an excuse, to threaten(especially with death), shame or cajole other recruits into simply not obeying their maestor at arms. Like, honestly, no one suggests, Alliser was acting unlawful whenever he had a recruit, go against Jon, when he was taking his frustrations out on everyone; he injured them and humiliated them, Alliser still has a right to send a recruit  up against Jon regardless of how it'll humiliate having been thoughoghly clobbered by a younger boy or possibly lead to someone breaking something, Alliser's orders simply aren't illegal or against any of the rules. No one makes that argument. Not Jon, not Sam, not Noyle, not even Aemon. 

Yep, nobody makes a comment about illegal or unlawful. Doesn't mean they are morally right, though. Thorne's treatment of Sam is not just dumb, it is wrong, which is why Jon steps in, just like Lyanna stepped in to protect Howland. Jon thwarted his superior's orders to protect a comrade who was too weak to defend himself. I fail to see any such redeeming moment with Slynt.

25 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Yep, nobody makes a comment about illegal or unlawful. Doesn't mean they are morally right, though. Thorne's treatment of Sam is not just dumb, it is wrong, which is why Jon steps in, just like Lyanna stepped in to protect Howland. Jon thwarted his superior's orders to protect a comrade who was too weak to defend himself. I fail to see any such redeeming moment with Slynt.

I did not argue lawful orders are automatically morally right orders.  Jon disagrees with Thorne's orders-that isn't it itself reason why it wouldn't be just to punish him for his conduct.  Jon had his fellow recruits commit insubordination through threatening(even with death), cajoling, and shaming his peers.  Such a thing deserves reprimand in a military order; if Slynt deserves punishment for his insubordination(which no one really has argued he didn't-what he did deserved serious reprimand), Jon being punished for his acts would have only been just given the context; Jon disagrees with the orders; it is not his place to interfere with them being carried out by the way he initially did.  Seriously, imagine if Jon found out Alloser was brazenly and openly threatening, cajoling, or shaming black brothers into not obeying Lord commander Jon's orders, with the justification being although lawful, Jon's orders are immoral and dumb, would Jon be wrong in punishing the man?

16 hours ago, Starkz said:

Eh I mean missed some like major parts but from a very contorted and skipping/missing pages perspective sure.

Not sure I comprehend what you are saying.

The thread/tread got off track. What I was suggesting was the long held theory that Jon Snow is the son of R & L making Jon a Targ a long speculated theory is Jon is the get of R & L.

My question was, and I didn't properly elaborate ---- what brings about all this criticism about LC Snow loping off the head of Slynt if Jon Snow is the ?

44 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Not sure I comprehend what you are saying.

The thread/tread got off track. What I was suggesting was the long held theory that Jon Snow is the son of R & L making Jon a Targ a long speculated theory is Jon is the get of R & L.

My question was, and I didn't properly elaborate ---- what brings about all this criticism about LC Snow loping off the head of Slynt if Jon Snow is the ?

Oh. Most people on these forums just like to bash and cut down characters they don’t like. Mostly this post is people breaking it down microscopically to try and defame Jon as they don’t like him and others are defending him(Myself included) since bashing any character especially for such a small decision, which he was in the right to do and was a smart move, and insuianting that it makes him/her a bad person/ruler is ludicrous. 

21 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:devil: Let me try to help get back on track. Rheagar and Lyanna's son was chosen to lead the NW and he beheaded Slynt. Then there was a mutiny. :unsure:

Jon Snow, bastard son of Ned Stark was voted to lead the NW and soon after proved himself incapable of justice.  Thankfully, a humble but dedicated crannogman took the initiative to remove Jon from power.  

4 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Jon Snow, bastard son of Ned Stark was voted to lead the NW and soon after proved himself incapable of justice.  Thankfully, a humble but dedicated crannogman took the initiative to remove Jon from power.  

no, no, theory has it Jon is the son of Rhae & Ly. The crannogman is mia.

11 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

We say at the other forums, "Jon got ventilated" and "Jon got caesared"  The last is cute.  Can you think of another cute way to describe what happened?  :D

3 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

We say at the other forums, "Jon got ventilated" and "Jon got caesared"  The last is cute.  Can you think of another cute way to describe what happened?  :D

Tenderized. :P

14 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

7 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

no, no, theory has it Jon is the son of Rhae & Ly. The crannogman is mia.

No, no gentlemen.  Jon is the son of Lyanna and Mance.  A girl like Lyanna is not going to bust out in tears because of a song from a guy she had never met before.  Rhaegar reminded her of a tryst with a traveling bard in the north.  The dude who can get past the guards and wall of Winterfell as if they were the turnstyles at the metro.  Rhaegar's song made her think of Mance and so ends up bawling.  

7 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

No, no gentlemen. 

Har! why you gotta gotta go with "gentlemen".  My daddy raised me right. I mighta looked prissy but....

14 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Tenderized.

39 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I like this post, it's made some things clearer for me. Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I like this post, it's made some things clearer for me. Cheers. 

I canna believe you posted this.  When @James Fenimore Cooper XXII

50 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

:tantrum:why  

7 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I canna believe you posted this.  When @James Fenimore Cooper XXII

:tantrum:why  

Well, this was a new one for me. I thought I'd seen it all. Mance is Rhaegar, Daario is Old Nan, whatever. But Bowen Marsh is Howland Reed is new, I like it. Makes perfect sense within a certain context. ;)

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, this was a new one for me. I thought I'd seen it all. Mance is Rhaegar, Daario is Old Nan, whatever. But Bowen Marsh is Howland Reed is new, I like it. Makes perfect sense within a certain context. ;)

Yep, Mance is Rhae, Nan is Daario (hada problem typing that name) and Marsh is Howland.

My japes take away from the topic which in my opine LC Jon Snow, the son of L & R, was within his rights to behead Slynt. 

6 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Yep, Mance is Rhae, Nan is Daario (hada problem typing that name) and Marsh is Howland.

My japes take away from the topic which in my opine LC Jon Snow, the son of L & R, was within his rights to behead Slynt. 

Not only was he absolutely within his rights, but he was acting within the authority of the "office" of LC of the NW. Anyone saying otherwise is coming not from what the text says but rather from either having missed what's spelled out or worse, from an infantile, stubborn, and illogical dislike for the character. 

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Not only was he absolutely within his rights, but he was acting within the authority of the "office" of LC of the NW. Anyone saying otherwise is coming not from what the text says but rather from either having missed what's spelled out or worse, from an infantile, stubborn, and illogical dislike for the character. 

Not sure where you and I are going.

It has been my opinion from the beginning of the first thread that LC Snow killing Synt was okee dokee with me..

I threw in the L & R bs to get the thread back on track.

Seriously though, this is my question ---- if readers dislike Jon Snow so much ---- how do they reconcile that Jon is supposedly the son of R&L?

24 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Not sure where you and I are going.

"If you don't know where you're going... Any road will take you there

I have no idea where I'm going most of the time, that's never stopped me from enjoying the ride. :D

It has been my opinion from the beginning of the first thread that LC Snow killing Synt was okee dokee with me..

I know. We've been agreeing all along. 

I threw in the L & R bs to get the thread back on track.

Yup. And it was much appreciated. :cheers:

Seriously though, this is my question ---- if readers dislike Jon Snow so much ---- how do they reconcile that Jon is supposedly the son of R&L?

They don't? Most people who hate hate hate a character usually resort to silly and laughable denial irt any theory or idea that points towards anything good or positive in said character. Hence "Jon is the son of X andY!", where X and Y are: Brandon, Ned, Lyanna, Ashara, Fisherman's Daughter, Mance... there are more but I'm bored already. :P

43 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Who likes Rheagar or Lyanna that much? (As Don Draper says, whats in a name?) And even if Jon is "fantasy jesus", why cant we dislike him?

Not that we all do. For example, me, I rather like our LC. But does that mean I cant find faults in hia character or actions? 

The man 

2 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

was stuck with the pointy end, his actions obviously had faults.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

It was definitely within his rights and the authority in his office. Like Tarly sending Sam to the Wall or Aerys using fire to champion Brandon. Its Westeros, the boss can do whatever they want, that doesnt make it the right move

Archived