The execution of Janos Slynt was spot on vol 2

kissdbyfire

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sorry, but that's bollocks. 

Slynt was executed because of his insubordination, b/c he refused an order from his LC, and not because of whatever crimes he committed in KL nor for being a despicable PoS. 

I didnt mean to imply that. Im well aware that vengance wasnt the main motivator for Janos' execution.

@Ygrain said that when a villain gets killed that doesnt mean the hero was acting villainy. I disagree.

Why I disagree isnt pertanent as a large part of these past 2 threads have already discussed that

This whole talk about 'villains' and 'heroes' doesn't lead anywhere. George doesn't write his characters in such categories. All the POV characters (and many of the other characters he flashed out in considerable detail) show that their motivations are, from their point of view, justifiable and acceptable.

I mean, I said it above somewhere that one can even empathize with Chett, and he most definitely is one of the most despicable POVs we get (although I daresay Victarion Greyjoy isn't far behind). 

Lysa isn't Littlefinger's victim. She decided to watch her sister and father and brother and other relations being ruined by their enemies. And she did nothing. She could have helped them. But she chose to do no such thing. And she did that because she actually resents Catelyn who - as she knows - is the one Petyr preferred in their youth, and she did it because she never forgave her father for what he did to her.

She also tried to kill Sansa because she had, correctly, guessed that Littlefinger would inevitable turn to her. She is not the sharpest knife in the box and somewhat unhinged but she knows what she did and she knew what she had to do to get what she want. She is no innocent victim.

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Then the crimes for Janos lay at Cerseis. Lysa had a hard life but her actions are inexcusable and largley self inflected. Blaming your dad and ex boyfriend only gets you so far, everyone must own their responsibilitys. Attempting to push your niece out the moondoor is inexcusable

Not that Petyr is a protagonist like Jon, but Tyrion certainly is. When Tywin died did you not sense a sort of villany for Tyrion?

I'm afraid I'm totally at a loss at your standards. Lysa is clearly mentally unstable and LF has been abusing her state, if not outright fuelling it, for years. Slynt is neither deranged nor emotionally blackmailed by Cersei.

With Tywin, I'm not sure how to call it, but probably not villainy. Self-destructive? Tyrion has been on a very dark path ever since. Perhaps because his act, unlike Jon's was indeed motivated by pure emotion and vengeance.

Archived