U.S. Politics- This Is Us, Basically Fascists

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

To be fair he wasn't doing things before his marriage, he was just cheating on his pregnant or just-gave-birth wife during his marriage. 

Fair.

Correction -- prior to/outside of. :p

49 minutes ago, Week said:

I'm sorry Tywin, but as a Board we're going to have to use the name of a Native America (who was already brutalized by settlers and historians) to use his name as a slur for whenever we refer to you in the future.

It's the Pr*sidential thing to do.

I had a very distant relative who died during Custer’s last stand, so Crazy Horse?

Wait, that means I’m under that stinky  queen’s dominion.

29 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

To be fair he wasn't doing things before his marriage, he was just cheating on his pregnant or just-gave-birth wife during his marriage. 

I feel like this post is missing “that we know of, but can probably assume.”  

What August Ratings Can Tell Us About November Results

https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/house/house-overview/what-august-ratings-can-tell-us-about-november-results

This year, Republicans already have more seats in the highly vulnerable category than they had at this point in 2006 or than Democrats had in August of 2010. If 2018 follows a similar pattern to 2006 and 2010 — where less vulnerable seats move into more vulnerable territory in the fall — the GOP is almost certain to lose their majority. There are currently another 53 GOP-held seats in Lean/Likely Republican.

46 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Trump just want's to look heroic.  He want's to be John Wayne.  He's an empty vessel that guys like Miller and Sessions can pour themselves into.

Check this:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/400209-government-urges-federal-judges-to-dismiss-planned-parenthood

Do you think his grace gives a a shit about abstinence only sex ed?

Trump is definitely an ignorant empty vessel who tends to believe whatever the last bootlicker told him, but we have more than ample evidence that he's a fucking racist, and has been for decades. His dad was a racist landlord, so it was probably from birth.

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I keep replaying that quote;

”Think of the intelligence of the average person, then realize that half the planet is dumber than that.”

I first heard this in a George Carlin bit circa 2000.

Only thing worth mentioning about Trump's bedroom activities is to point out hypocrisy.  Other that that it's none of our fucking business.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Trump is definitely an ignorant empty vessel who tends to believe whatever the last bootlicker told him, but we have more than ample evidence that he's a fucking racist, and has been for decades. His dad was a racist landlord, so it was probably from birth.

You can be and vacuous and a racist at the same time, clearly.

After comments like:

• parroting the absurd 'General Pershing / Muslim / pigs blood' story.
  • "My judge is an asshole.  Did I mention he was Mexican?"
  • "Rapists/Murderers..."

...During the election season, I don't think there's any question he's a racist.  Especially given that those aren't the only examples.  People seem to forget that the point of his "Shithole" comment isn't that it was about poor countries; it was about the people from those countries. 

@aceluby, @Guy Kilmore, @Kelli Fury (wherever you are), other MN residents,

Who are you guys rooting for in the DFL gubernatorial primary? This one is really tough for me because I personally know two of the candidates and absolutely adore both of them, plus I also know one of their running mates fairly well.

Also, Ace, the race to replace Ellison in CD-5 looks really interesting. I had just assumed Omar would walk away with it, but Margaret Anderson Kelliher has reemerged from the political wilderness and jumped into the primary. Frankly she has the best chance to rise in the ranks of the caucus and could legitimately run for Speaker one day. She completely ran the State House when she was the Speaker and she did it at a relatively young age. 

This could be one of the biggest years in MN politics because all of the statewide offices are on the ballot. Hopefully my old boss can drag everyone across the finish line though I have yet to see her throw up any ads and we were full tilt by this point six years ago. Seems odd.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Week said:

Who is surprised?

Per usual, faux outrage from the Right. The "freeze peach" putzes aren't under threat from the Left.

Even less obscure: where were these clowns when Amy Goodman had an arrest warrant issued against her for covering the DAP protests?  How about the protesters themselves who were attacked with water cannons and dogs?  Those seem to me to be much more relevant and actual abuses of free speech than some Koch or Mercer funded dipshit who the local chapter of the college republicans invited to their school to "pwn the libs."

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Most people I know take their ancestry on faith, as told them by their relatives. I know it’s increasingly easy to actually check, but I imagine most people who are told they have X in the family history will repeat it without any intention to deceive, or feeling any need to ‘substantiate’ it. I don’t know much about the Warren thing, but if she didn’t pursue any benefit, why would her believing what her family told her reflect poorly on her at all? 

I'll go one step forward. Last year my mom eagerly did a DNA test because she figured it would finally PROVE that our family has the rumored Indian blood that she has believed in since she saw the film Billy Jack as an impressionable teenager.

She was astonished that it was completely zero percent native american. She's believed it to be true for so long, her assumption is that perhaps the test was wrong, so she had her mom and uncle also do the test. also zero.

shocking, right?

She still would never ever vote for Elizabeth Warren and would probably hate her guts for being a dirty liar all her life about having Native American blood.

3 hours ago, lokisnow said:

I'll go one step forward. Last year my mom eagerly did a DNA test because she figured it would finally PROVE that our family has the rumored Indian blood that she has believed in since she saw the film Billy Jack as an impressionable teenager.

She was astonished that it was completely zero percent native american. She's believed it to be true for so long, her assumption is that perhaps the test was wrong, so she had her mom and uncle also do the test. also zero.

shocking, right?

She still would never ever vote for Elizabeth Warren and would probably hate her guts for being a dirty liar all her life about having Native American blood.

Let's assume Warren took the test and it proved the claim false; Was she a liar all her life? I mean, it's not like she could have taken a DNA test back in college.  The types of testing kits people are using to determine ancestry today weren't even available until just a few years ago.

Warren is from Oklahoma.  Her family was several generations in Oklahoma, possibly going back to the Oklahoma land run.  The idea that she might have a recent native american ancestor isn't that crazy.  There are a lot of people from Oklahoma who have similar family stories.  That doesn't make them liars.

Now, the co worker of mine who claims his family might be descendants of Robert the Bruce (a popular family legend among people of Scots-Irish descent).  He's full of shit.

Ya think the orange nazi will order the US taxpayer to bail these guys out of their financial hole?  Where did all their Russian money go anyway?  Does Butina the Russian spy $$$$$$ conduit know?  or did the NRA nabobs blow all $$$$$$ on her pretty facey-face?  :D

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Actually, it's not about the NRA going broke -- it's all about insurance, which the NRA can't access due to it's endless law suit against New York State and its governor. Actually, yah, it is going broke because NY is mean to it -- and so are others:

. . . . The NRA did not respond to a request for more detail about its financial distress, but its most recent financial disclosure also shows it overspent by nearly $46 million in 2016 . . . .

. . . . The lawsuit seeks an immediate injunction to block state authorities from “interfering with, terminating, or diminishing any of the NRA’s contracts and/or business relationships with any organizations.” Without court intervention, the complaint reads, “the NRA will suffer irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other banking services due to Defendants’ actions.” . . . .

So all it takes to take down the NRA is a single state standing its ground?  Who knew!

And states' right!  What about states rights?????

37 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

shocking, right?

For accuracy's sake it should be pointed out that having no traceable Native American DNA doesn't prove you don't have a Native American ancestor if that ancestor is more than a few generations back.

Though 50% of one's chromosomal DNA is from each parent, the way egg and sperm cells do chromosome crossover during their creation means that one usually does not have exactly 25% from each grandparent. Though basically everyone has some DNA segments from each great-grandparent, as I understand it 10% of the time there is one great-great-grandparent missing from one's DNA, and of course with every generation back from that, with the number of ancestors doubling each time, it becomes likely by the five-greats grandparents generation that everyone has ancestors who will not show up at all in their chromosomal DNA. 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

For accuracy's sake it should be pointed out that having no traceable Native American DNA doesn't prove you don't have a Native American ancestor if that ancestor is more than a few generations back.

Though 50% of one's chromosomal DNA is from each parent, the way egg and sperm cells do chromosome crossover during their creation means that one usually does not have exactly 25% from each grandparent. Though basically everyone has some DNA segments from each great-grandparent, as I understand it 10% of the time there is one great-great-grandparent missing from one's DNA, and of course with every generation back from that, with the number of ancestors doubling each time, it becomes likely by the five-greats grandparents generation that everyone has ancestors who will not show up at all in their chromosomal DNA. 

That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that.

I was aware that the different DNA testing services can provide wildly different results.  We're talking more than just the margin of error here.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that.

I was aware that the different DNA testing services can provide wildly different results.  We're talking more than just the margin of error here.

I like the example using fruit that someone at Ancestry put together.  Your mom's DNA is (each an equal portion): 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 watermelon.  You get 50% of her DNA, but not necessarily 50% of each thing. You might get 1 apple and 1/2 banana and 7/16 orange, but barely 1/16 watermelon.  Your siblings can get a different mixture (which is why 2 of 4 kids had blue eyes, blonde hair, while the other 2 had brown hair and hazel/brown eyes). You might be that person who has had a "trace" amount of something passed down to them for 8 or more generations (certainly further back than the percentage accounts for), or you might be the one who has nothing from 4 generations back.   

This is unlikely to have a happy conclusion, one might be understood to think -- gads! look at these guys!  Do they look like they're ready to pray?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portland-patriot-prayer-proud-boys-rally_us_5b646217e4b0de86f4a0ba04

Particularly after the orange nazi's campaign rallies this week that were all about howling about the EviLe media and journalists, showing off his ignorance of British geography and history, etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon

These rallies were filled with the unhinged QAnon ilks, who joyeously see they are fully backed and endorsed by the orange nazi.

Gads, there are more and more and more of these every week seeping out of the sewage of the human imagination.

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Who are you guys rooting for in the DFL gubernatorial primary? This one is really tough for me because I personally know two of the candidates and absolutely adore both of them, plus I also know one of their running mates fairly well.

Also, Ace, the race to replace Ellison in CD-5 looks really interesting. I had just assumed Omar would walk away with it, but Margaret Anderson Kelliher has reemerged from the political wilderness and jumped into the primary. Frankly she has the best chance to rise in the ranks of the caucus and could legitimately run for Speaker one day. She completely ran the State House when she was the Speaker and she did it at a relatively young age. 

This could be one of the biggest years in MN politics because all of the statewide offices are on the ballot. Hopefully my old boss can drag everyone across the finish line though I have yet to see her throw up any ads and we were full tilt by this point six years ago. Seems odd.

Thoughts?

Haven't been following as closely as I probably should, especially since Ellison was my representative.  Been supporting Walz for governor though.

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Thoughts?

I am alright with Murphy or Walz.  I think Walz is the safer choice.  But I haven't been playing close attention at all,  because frankly the Republican choices are a joke. 

I will be possibly moving into Jason Lewis's district and I might get the joy of voting him out of office. 

37 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Haven't been following as closely as I probably should, especially since Ellison was my representative.  Been supporting Walz for governor though.

Indeed. Omar and Kelliher are the two main candidates. I’m frankly a little uncomfortable with Omar. She has nest to no experience and graduated from college the same year as I did. She hasn’t even served one full term in the State House. That doesn’t contrast well with someone who served six terms and became Speaker. I don’t see Omar making many waves in Washington while Kelliher will. I also don’t like that many of her backers are arguing that a Muslim should replace the first Muslim in Congress. Her religion shouldn’t matter either way. That said if she wins in the primary I’ll still happily support her. What’s odd is how few candidates there are for a super easy seat to hold for as long as one wants. I know a lot of people who were perfectly qualified and yet they didn’t run. Hell, I’m surprised my old boss in the State Senate didn’t run considering being a Congressman was an ambition of his.

Archived