Fantasy Football 2018

Whiskeyjack

14 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

Off-board money league. 12 teams, 0.5ppr. We start 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, and a WR/RB/TE flex, which accounts for some, but not all, of the strangeness in my roster.

Tell me how shittily I did.

QB - Andrew Luck

WR - Doug Baldwin, Allen Robinson II, Emmanuel Sanders (Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Curtis Samuel)

RB - Dalvin Cook, Saquon Barkley (Latavius Murray, Jordan Wilkins, Ty Montgomery)

TE - Zach Ertz (Jordan Reed)

DST - Houston

K - Dan Bailey, of course

I hate this team, in part I think b/c it's a 12-player league and my mind is still normalized at 10-player. I had the 7th pick of 12, which means I picked in the middle of every round - not sure if that's preferable or not, but I did not like it. The Ty Montgomery pick was an accident - I was messing around with my queue, got booted from the draft, the guy at the top of my queue (Tyler Lockett) got taken the pick before me, and voila. I like Montgomery, but I could've probably gotten him in the last two rounds, and he might've cost me a chance at some better depth - not sure I can justify him w/ only 7 bench slots. Jordan Reed doesn't seem great when I already have Ertz, but since I can start both of them due to the flex, it isn't all that bad. RB depth is bad. 

I think I took Luck a round before I needed to, but there were only 6ish QBs off the board at the time, he was weirdly high in Yahoo, and the draft was hewing kind of close to the Yahoo ranks at that point. That and taking Ertz in the 3rd may be my biases haunting me. After going RB-RB-TE, I had to scramble a lot at WR.

That is a truly terrible team. What were you thinking? Furthermore, why did you draft so many people with serious injury concerns?

Honestly, after the first 3 picks, it didn't really feel like there were a lot of great options out there. Every time I wanted to pick someone, they'd get picked 6 picks before the round came to me. On injuries:

Luck - basically this is a low-downside move b/c of the number of mediocre QBs available. I think I can get average production off the waiver wire, and he has a ton of upside.

Dalvin Cook - it was him, AJ Green, or Devonta Freeman; I think Cook has a decent shot there, but maybe I should've taken Freeman. Don't love Green this year. 

Baldwin - next available WR were Demariyus Thomas / Golden Tate / Chris Hogan / Jarvis Landry / Sammy Watkins. Think you can make a real argument for Hogan there, and maybe Tate. This one was a bit of a flail.

Sanders - not concerned about him

Robinson - maybe should've taken Marquise Goodwin or Cooks there? But Robinson I think has a chance for more targets.

Of course I think your team has too many Stanford guys.

I definitely like Hogan over Baldwin, but I almost always undervalue Baldwin.
I am crazy about Goodwin this year.  Robinson, not so much.
I think Luck is the 10th or so QB.  Not top 7 for sure.  For sure I'd rank him behind Rodgers/Brady/Watson/Wilson/Brees/Newton/Wentz and probably behind Rivers/Cousins/Roethlisberger.

ETA: But Dalvin Cook in the middle of round 2 was a steal.

27 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

ETA: But Dalvin Cook in the middle of round 2 was a steal.

Yeah, I'm in a keeper league and was able to keep him with a second if I wanted.  As soon as I saw where the pick landed in our yearly lottery (4th overall pick in a 14 league team, so the second rounder would be mid-twenties), I jumped at the chance to keep him.  

Speaking of, I've got that fourth pick tonight and the draft is pretty stacked, as we have a three year keeper limit and this is the year a bunch of stars are hitting the draft for the first time in ages.  The list of potentially available players at four is: Gurley, Brown, Bell, Hopkins, Elliott, and OBJ.  It's full PPR, single QB, standard line-ups (QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX).  What order would you guys draft those guys?

Note: My two keepers are Cook with a second and Melvin Gordon with a fourth.  

I'm thinking about just grabbing another stud RB at four, as I assume at least one of those guys will be there.  I can find decent WRs later in the draft in full PPR.

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

Speaking of, I've got that fourth pick tonight and the draft is pretty stacked, as we have a three year keeper limit and this is the year a bunch of stars are hitting the draft for the first time in ages.  The list of potentially available players at four is: Gurley, Brown, Bell, Hopkins, Elliott, and OBJ.  It's full PPR, single QB, standard line-ups (QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX).  What order would you guys draft those guys?

My list here would be Gurley, Bell, Elliott, Barkley (assuming avail), Hopkins, Brown, OBJ.

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

My list here would be Gurley, Bell, Elliott, Barkley (assuming avail), Hopkins, Brown, OBJ.

Oh yeah, Barkley is there too. 

He just feels like a huge gamble with fourth overall when there are proven studs still on the board.

Well if I'm going to slander Blu's draft, I should probably post my own money league. It's a 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, D league, with one caveat in that you can flex 1 QB (odd quirk but playing here where every league has 2 QBs gives me an advantage).

QBS: Newton, Big Ben (flex), (Bortles)

RBs: Hunt, Howard (Cohen, Jones (TB), Powell, Murray)

WRs: Hopkins, Gordon, Robinson (Woods, Lockett, Parker)

TE: Rudolph

K: Boswell

D: Denver

Pretyy happy with this team. No real holes, points all over the play, and if Gordon returns to form, look out. Still haven't gotten one of the elite RBs this year though, and I'm three drafts in now with three to go. 

22 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

...with one caveat in that you can flex 1 QB (odd quirk but playing here where every league has 2 QBs gives me an advantage).

Superflex?  It's pretty common in dynasty leagues.  Not so much in re-draft.

14 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I've never seen it before.

I prefer it to straight 2QB since it gives you a bit more freedom to compensate for injuries or bye weeks.

You're still always better off starting a good QB in that spot, but if shit goes sideways or you get fucked on bye weeks (which, in dynasty, is always possible since you keep the same guys year to year) you can probably get by a week with a WR there instead.

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

I prefer it to straight 2QB since it gives you a bit more freedom to compensate for injuries or bye weeks.

You're still always better off starting a good QB in that spot, but if shit goes sideways or you get fucked on bye weeks (which, in dynasty, is always possible since you keep the same guys year to year) you can probably get by a week with a WR there instead.

Yep, the plan is to keep Big Ben in there all season except the two bye weeks when I need to move my starters around then I ride or die with Bortles. 

6 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

That is a truly terrible team. What were you thinking? Furthermore, why did you draft so many people with serious injury concerns?

This is some amazing constructive criticism. People say he's too young but I disagree, Tywin has Middle Management wunderkind written all over him. 

6 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Somehow Gurley fell to four, so I happily went with that.

First three picks were Bell, Elliott, and Barkley in that order.

As referenced earlier, had a 14-team full PPR draft tonight.  1QB/2WR/2RB/1TE/1FLEX/1DEF/1K with four points for QB touchdowns.

QB - Cam Newton 
RB - Todd Gurley 
RB - Melvin Gordon
WR - Sammy Watkins
WR - Robby Anderson
TE - Ricky Seals-Jones
FLEX - Dalvin Cook
K - Robbie Gould
DEF - Bengals

BN - Derek Carr
BN - Kelvin Benjamin
BN - Nelson Agholor
BN - Keelan Cole
BN - Gio Bernard

---

Fourteen teams are tough, especially with benches this shallow.  Normally I wouldn't roster a second QB in a single QB league, but with fourteen teams you damn near have to, because the waiver wire is going to be dog shit.  I'll drop Carr if teams start veering toward only rostering one QB, but until then he's a hold.  

My RB situation is great.  Not a lot of depth, but when you can only start three that's not entirely significant.  Just need at least two of my three starters to stay healthy for the year.  WR is more of a mixed bag.  I waited on WR, mostly because of the way the draft played out.  I didn't expect Gurley to be there at four, so I went RB instead of grabbing OBJ, and I didn't have a second or fourth due to using keepers on Cook and Gordon.  Still, I feel like, in full PPR, Benjamin and Cole should be solid picks who deliver reasonable weekly performances.  If this were non-PPR I'd be much less confident in the group above, but in PPR they should be able to do enough not to fuck me.

TE is rough, but I waited and that's what happens when you wait on any position in a 14-team league, especially at TE.  Seals-Jones could be a capable weekly starter, but that's about the most I can expect from him.  Had Kelce last year, so this is a switch.

I'll be honest, though...kind of pissed Gurley fell to four.  While he's an amazing player, I've historically had awful luck drafting the previous year's leading rusher.

Was everyone else mainlining cheap whiskey or something? How does one team get Gurley/Gordon/Cook in a 14-team snake draft?! Did everyone else just go WR/WR?

6 minutes ago, BLU-RAY said:

Was everyone else mainlining cheap whiskey or something? How does one team get Gurley/Gordon/Cook in a 14-team snake draft?! Did everyone else just go WR/WR?

Gordon and Cook were keepers.  It's a two player, three year keeper league.  I've had Gordon for three years now because I got him after his shitty rookie year in the sixth.  He was my fourth rounder this year.  And I grabbed Cook off of waivers after someone dropped him last year, and he had a second round grade (dropped players keep their draft value for keeper purposes to account for injury).  So I kept him with my second, which would have been 24th overall.

Ohhhh, I should read. OK, that makes more sense. That is a bonkers RB crew, it will be difficult for anyone to hang with that, well done. Rest of the team has some gaps, but the starting WRs are solid if unspectacular, so you should be OK.

1 minute ago, BLU-RAY said:

Ohhhh, I should read. OK, that makes more sense. That is a bonkers RB crew, it will be difficult for anyone to hang with that, well done. Rest of the team has some gaps, but the starting WRs are solid if unspectacular, so you should be OK.

Yeah, I was expecting to go WR at four (OBJ and Brown were both there) but then Gurley fell and I just had to say fuck it.  Wasn't passing that up.

14 hours ago, Jaime L said:

This is some amazing constructive criticism. People say he's too young but I disagree, Tywin has Middle Management wunderkind written all over him. 

I do what I can. 

And FYI, I was an assistant manager of a politician when I was 21. So in a sense I've regressed from middle management. 

10 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

I feel like I'm the outlier that tends to go WR/WR if I don't get a stab at a top 3 RB.

Had my snake draft last night and with the 11th pick feel like I got a really solid team:

QB: Rodgers (Bortles)

RB: Melvin Gordon, Jamaal Williams, (Jerick McKinnon, Latavius Murray)

WR/TE: Julio Jones, Marquis Goodwin, Devin Funchess, (Sterling Shepard, Agholor, DeVante Parker, )

D: Jaguars

K: Zuerlien

Really only concerned about RB2, WR2, WR3; but feel like I have some guys that could step up with some really solid play depending on how the season goes.

Archived