Fantasy Football 2018

Whiskeyjack

Two drafts in one day = too much for my liking. Did one of my two work-related money leagues yesterday (along with Westeros B, the results of which I already posted in that thread), which was a 1PPR, 13 team, 1QB/1WR/1RB/1TE/3 flex starting lineup format (very new to me). Ended up with: 

QB: Russell Wilson

WR: Odell Beckham Jr. 

RB: Kenyan Drake 

Flex: Davante Adams 

Flex: Alex Collins 

Flex: Chris Thompson 

TE: Trey Burton 

D/ST: Baltimore (mostly for that sweet sweet juicy week 1 matchup in which Baltimore will feast on the walking corpse of Allen, Peterman, or whoever the hell is thrown to the wolves in Game 1. I will then most likely stream defense rest of season). 

K: Daniel Carlson (I have no idea, there were no good kickers available in the last round). 

Bench: Julian Edelman, Kenny Stills, Theo Riddick, Anthony Miller, Christine Michael (*vomit* I have no idea what was going through my mind here), Christian Kirk, Dede Westbrook, Geromino Allison, Baker Mayfield 

Overall fairly happy with this team although my starting RB corps and depth are not great, but since only one is required to start and it is PPR, I'm not super worried about it. I love my depth at receiver (particularly handcuffing Allison to Adams), and if Drake has a breakout season I think things will go very well.

Also, between Adams/Allison here and Rodgers in Westeros B, I finally get to have some (good) Packers players on my fantasy team. Yay!

My in laws did a 10 team draft and it was something else entirely. There was a lot of homerism and strange decisions that made me miss the logic of the drafts on the board. I guess at least I'm projected to win?

QB- Rodgers (Wentz)

WR - Adams, Thomas (Cooper, Fuller, Landry)

RB - Gurley, Barkley (Drake, Lewis)

TE - Reed

WR/RB - Collins

DST - Saints 

20 hours ago, briantw said:

He (Saquon Barkley) just feels like a huge gamble with fourth overall when there are proven studs still on the board.

He's a a gamble but in that keeper format you may only get a shot at him every three years.  But you did way better, so it's moot.   The three-year consideration is also why I ranked Hopkins ahead of Antonio Brown.

26 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

My in laws did a 10 team draft and it was something else entirely. There was a lot of homerism and strange decisions that made me miss the logic of the drafts on the board. I guess at least I'm projected to win?

QB- Rodgers (Wentz)

TE - Reed

WR/RB - Collins

DST - Saints 

If there is money involved, it appears they are paying you for lessons.

37 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

QB- Rodgers (Wentz)

TE - Reed

WR/RB - Collins

DST - Saints 

This times 1,000. Ever since I’ve started playing here, I’ve been smashing people in off board leagues. Just look at my roster on the last page. My weekly average points is like 20 higher than the next person.

12 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

He's a a gamble but in that keeper format you may only get a shot at him every three years.  But you did way better, so it's moot.   The three-year consideration is also why I ranked Hopkins ahead of Antonio Brown.

Taking Barkley so high scares me, and I feel I’m not alone. He didn’t even go in the first round of my money league’s draft (though I would have taken him at 12 if he was there when I picked, got Hunt instead).

1 minute ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

This times 1,000. Ever since I’ve started playing here, I’ve been smashing people in off board leagues. Just look at my roster on the last page. My weekly average points is like 20 higher than the next person.

Taking Barkley so high scares me, and I feel I’m not alone. He didn’t even go in the first round of my money league’s draft (though I would have taken him at 12 if he was there when I picked, got Hunt instead).

I wouldn't take Barkley in the first round, personally. I want a pick that (barring injury) I can absolutely rely on to produce. That is not Barkley at this point. 

35 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

I wouldn't take Barkley in the first round, personally. I want a pick that (barring injury) I can absolutely rely on to produce. That is not Barkley at this point. 

Yeah I agree, though I think he could end up top 5 in receiving yards, so he might be worth it in a PPR league. But I just don’t trust that Giants’ O-Line. Barkley is a great talent, possibly the best RB prospect since Peterson, but he will struggle to run the ball.

The Giants will ultimately regret taking him over Rosen or Darnold.

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I usually win or place top 3 in leagues that aren't hosted on this board.

With Barkley the talent is there and the Giant's O-line is at least improved over last year based on what I've read. The volume will be there and with Odell and Engram healthy they can't stack the box. In that league I took Barkley at the end of the second round after the top-flight WRs were mostly gone, so it wasn't a huge risk for me.

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Yeah but I'd have to use a first to keep him every year.  Which he may well be worth, but it's impossible to know that now.

The way our keeper system works, you get two, but their value is the round they were drafted in (and it increases a round each year after the first year kept).  Thus, a first-round keeper isn't as valuable since you're forfeiting your first to keep him.  Depends largely on where you're picking in the draft and who is available, though.

I kept Cook and forfeited my second rounder because there's no chance a player as good as Cook was gonna be there when I picked at 24.

1 hour ago, Lord Dracarys said:

With Barkley the talent is there and the Giant's O-line is at least improved over last year based on what I've read. The volume will be there and with Odell and Engram healthy they can't stack the box. In that league I took Barkley at the end of the second round after the top-flight WRs were mostly gone, so it wasn't a huge risk for me.

He is super talented, but I don't know about that Giants line. They've improved it, but that's not saying much considering it was one of the worst in the league last year. That's why I think it was a huge mistake for them to take Barkley. The Cowboys can easily justify the Zeke pick because they had an elite QB and the best line in the game. That's when you gamble high on a RB prospect if you're going to do it. The Giants OTOH have a washed old QB who was never that good and a giant question mark of a line. They should have taken Rosen, or at least Darnold, or at the very least trade back while staying in the top 10 and hope one of the QBs fell to them.

Their draft grade for me is a D-, and the only reason it's not a F is because they at least got the most talented prospect by most accounts.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I kept Cook and forfeited my second rounder because there's no chance a player as good as Cook was gonna be there when I picked at 24.

Perhaps, but I fear he may have a down year. Murray looked so much better than he did when both played with the starters. Murray honestly had a great preseason if you ignore the back to back fumbles in the second game.

33 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Perhaps, but I fear he may have a down year. Murray looked so much better than he did when both played with the starters. Murray honestly had a great preseason if you ignore the back to back fumbles in the second game.

Yeah, he may have a down year and that's certainly a risk, but my other RB options at that pick would have been McKinnon, Henry, McCoy, and Ingram.  I'll take my chances with Cook.  I can survive a couple of bad games from him so long as Gurley and Gordon show out.

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he may have a down year and that's certainly a risk, but my other RB options at that pick would have been McKinnon, Henry, McCoy, and Ingram.  I'll take my chances with Cook.  I can survive a couple of bad games from him so long as Gurley and Gordon show out.

It's not just that he could have a down year due to the injury, he might become more of a third down back until he gets back into form. Murray has looked great, and he's a traditional power back you can use on first and second and he's not terrible in the passing game. Cook, when healthy, is good enough to be a top 5 RB, but he's not 100% yet. 

That said, gambling on Cook over those guys isn't a bad decision. I would have gone with McKinnon, but it's just splitting hairs. I think he'll be really good this year, especially in PPR leagues. I don't know what to expect from Henry given the Lewis signing, and I would not touch Shady this year. The Bills are going to be baaaaaaaaad!

3 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

It's not just that he could have a down year due to the injury, he might become more of a third down back until he gets back into form. Murray has looked great, and he's a traditional power back you can use on first and second and he's not terrible in the passing game. Cook, when healthy, is good enough to be a top 5 RB, but he's not 100% yet. 

That said, gambling on Cook over those guys isn't a bad decision. I would have gone with McKinnon, but it's just splitting hairs. I think he'll be really good this year, especially in PPR leagues. I don't know what to expect from Henry given the Lewis signing, and I would not touch Shady this year. The Bills are going to be baaaaaaaaad!

I'm a little wary on McKinnon because, outside of last year, he's never proven to be capable of being a viable fantasy back.  I think he will be viable this year because of the offense, but I'm not convinced he's better than Breida.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm a little wary on McKinnon because, outside of last year, he's never proven to be capable of being a viable fantasy back.  I think he will be viable this year because of the offense, but I'm not convinced he's better than Breida.

I've watched him for years and have always been a big fan of his. He reminds me a lot of Brian Westbrook. He just never got the volume use he needed to be a FF stud because he was always the second back trapped behind high end talent, and the Vikings also had a dude for the last few years who stole all his TD chances because he was a goal line beast. He should put up much better numbers this year. Or at least he better cause i took him for $19.

5 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I've watched him for years and have always been a big fan of his. He reminds me a lot of Brian Westbrook. He just never got the volume use he needed to be a FF stud because he was always the second back trapped behind high end talent, and the Vikings also had a dude for the last few years who stole all his TD chances because he was a goal line beast. He should put up much better numbers this year. Or at least he better cause i took him for $19.

Eh...he had his chance that one year Peterson got suspended (I think it was that year) and he didn't really do anything with it.  I like him as a prospect but he's just been largely underwhelming in a leading role.

The main selling point is the offense he's in, but I'm still not really convinced he's going to be the lead back there.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...he had his chance that one year Peterson got suspended (I think it was that year) and he didn't really do anything with it.  I like him as a prospect but he's just been largely underwhelming in a leading role.

The main selling point is the offense he's in, but I'm still not really convinced he's going to be the lead back there.

That was his rookie year and he was the third guy on the depth chart. Once they put him him, he was good.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2014.htm

And yeah that's why I am high on him this year.They'll try to make him Freeman 2.0. We will see how it goes. Have a good Labor Day weekend man. This guy is about to jump into a car, go to the cabin and get drunk AF while killing some fish!!! Are you in the draft for Sunday (can't remember if it's Survivor or Thunderdome)?

9 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

That was his rookie year and he was the third guy on the depth chart. Once they put him him, he was good.

And yeah that's why I am high on him this year.They'll try to make him Freeman 2.0. We will see how it goes. Have a good Labor Day weekend man. This guy is about to jump into a car, go to the cabin and get drunk AF while killing some fish!!! Are you in the draft for Sunday (can't remember if it's Survivor or Thunderdome)?

McKinnon is going to be a huge bust at his ADP, book it!! 

Apropos to that, does anyone how good or bad the 49ers o-line is supposed to be this season? 

4 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Well, the fun of fantasy is that none of us knows shit, and we all hope we're right.  I do hope McKinnon is good, though, because I have him in at least one league.

Good weekend to you as well.  See you for the Survivor draft.

21 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Their draft grade for me is a D-, and the only reason it's not a F is because they at least got the most talented prospect by most accounts.

I don't know. They picked arguably one of the two most talented  players in the draft and honestly they needed a running back, but maybe Chubb was the better pick.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:20 PM, BLU-RAY said:

Tell me how shittily I did.

QB - Andrew Luck

WR - Doug Baldwin, Allen Robinson II, Emmanuel Sanders (Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Curtis Samuel)

RB - Dalvin Cook, Saquon Barkley (Latavius Murray, Jordan Wilkins, Ty Montgomery)

TE - Zach Ertz (Jordan Reed)

DST - Houston

K - Dan Bailey, of course

Ugh, I have almost the same team in one of my main leagues and I’m not feeling too confident about it. Although it’s an auction league($200) with 2 keepers. After the draft ended I just sat there and asked myself what I was doing? My WR corps is gross and I’m frantically offering trades.

QB- Cam Newton(Luck)

WR- Doug Baldwin(Keeper $11), Robert Woods, S.Shepard(Fuller, Hurns)

RB- Cook(Keeper $44), S. Barkley,(Ronald Jones, L. Murray)

TE- Ertz

DST- Jaguars

K- Matt Bryant

Archived