Fantasy Football 2018

Whiskeyjack

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And with that, the last of my teams are finished. I consistently make it to the semis or finals, and consistently fail. And sadly, this team would have won next week, even after our best player had to be cut for off the field issues. 

I guess there's always 2019....

Guessing it was pretty painful when Carolina's one passing TD came from CMC instead of Newton.  Was that the difference in your game?

22 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Guessing it was pretty painful when Carolina's one passing TD came from CMC instead of Newton.  Was that the difference in your game?

Individually it was the most painful play, but you can blame any single play when you lose by less than two points. I considered getting a different QB2, but I didn’t because I had a good strategy. If you’re up by 40 with a QB still to go face a good RB and D, you should win regardless. You should especially win if the QB and RB are on the same team and they’re facing said defense. Everything should have offset. However, the one thing that couldn’t happen happened. The QB did nothing, the RB had a great game while only scoring once and the D got close to 20 points. That was literally the only thing that could have cost me the game, and it’s exactly what happened.

It was a bad beat in a season of several bad beats. Things broke right for a while here and there, but ultimately when I needed things to go right, everything went wrong. For starters, our trade turned out to be a complete disaster for me. The two guys I gave you had great years while the two I got in return immediately got hurt. And the season fell apart.

That was the only team that was bad this year (relatively speaking). After week 12, my four traditional teams were all in the playoffs and my team in our survivor league was by far the most dominate. And then week 13 happened. Here’ a recap:

Money league – Hunt gets cut, and my average weekly score drops by over 10 points.

A League – Lose, knocked out of the playoffs.

Dynasty – Lose, knocked out of the playoffs.

Thunderdome – A.J. Green, my best player, goes on IR, effectively killing any chances in the playoffs.

Survivor – Worst week of the year, Brees and my three WRs combine for like 15 points, knocked out despite still having the highest season score.

Talk about one hell of a bad week.

I’m in 2 championships in money leagues. I weirdly won 78.78-73.86 in one league where both of our teams averaged like 140 each throughout the year. He also had Kamara and M. Thomas Monday night when I was done so that was scary. I played Luck over Watson which was dumb.

In my other league I won by like a point and a half. I had Cam and was up 6 going into Monday against Lutz and Ian Thomas. It amazingly almost wasn’t enough. I really underestimated how hurt Cam was. I picked up Dak for the finals. 

Also have to choose between starting Jamaal Williams and E. McGuire. James White is done.

I have to replace Cam in Thunderdome and have three choices.  Nick Foles, Josh Allen or Taylor Heinicke.

I grabbed Heinicke Monday morning just in case Cam was a last minute scratch.  Allen has been my backup QB in theory for two weeks, but I didn't play him over Newton (though I should have).  Foles was on waivers.

All three have merits.  Allen is his team's whole offense and New England is really not great.  Foles has a surprisingly good matchup with Houston giving up a lot of passing yards and a potential shootout.  He also seems really in sync with Alshon Jeffrey.  Heinicke has attempted five career passes - but it is my belief that many if not most backup QBs do well in their first time out there since nobody really knows what to expect.

Thoughts?

Edited to add; This was my dilemma posted before the weekend. @Jaime L

6 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I have to replace Cam in Thunderdome and have three choices.  Nick Foles, Josh Allen or Taylor Heinicke.

I grabbed Heinicke Monday morning just in case Cam was a last minute scratch.  Allen has been my backup QB in theory for two weeks, but I didn't play him over Newton (though I should have).  Foles was on waivers.

All three have merits.  Allen is his team's whole offense and New England is really not great.  Foles has a surprisingly good matchup with Houston giving up a lot of passing yards and a potential shootout.  He also seems really in sync with Alshon Jeffrey.  Heinicke has attempted five career passes - but it is my belief that many if not most backup QBs do well in their first time out there since nobody really knows what to expect.

Thoughts?

I would play Allen. In standard fantasy scoring ( 4 points for QB passing TD's ) He was a top 3 fantasy QB from week 12 to 15. I didn't believe it until I looked at the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, JJ Lannister said:

I would play Allen. In standard fantasy scoring ( 4 points for QB passing TD's ) He was a top 3 fantasy QB from week 12 to 15. I didn't believe it until I looked at the numbers. 

In Westeros scoring as shown on Yahoo (which includes 6 point passing TDs), he was #1 if filtered by "Last 4 Weeks".  Shocking, eh?

38 minutes ago, JJ Lannister said:

#1. Unbelievable.

I think Mahomes would be #1 had he not had a bye in week 12.  He's about 13 points behind Allen for the four week period despite playing three games.  And he's been better than 15 every single week all season, so that seems likely.

Dynasty
RaceBannon 187.20 vs. Lord Dracarys 132.60

Keeper
RaceBannon 184.52 vs. Bronn Stone 129.60

Thunderdome
JaimeL 105.32 vs. Bronn Stone 100.38

Survivor
Grozeng  70.34
Fuentez 131.36

Congrats to all the winners!

Emphatic wins for Race in both Dynasty and Keeper, which were built on a base of Patrick Mahomes - Race saw the potential more than the rest of us in last year's draft and takes home the trophies because of it (I thought the power of Andy Reid would overwhelm the talent of Mahomes, whom I clearly underestimated).  But Race built solid teams well beyond Patrick.

Another Emphatic win happened in Survivor, where Groz's team didn't show up and Fuentez rocked.

Thunderdome was close but actually decided early - since I was down to a kicker before the late games kicked off.  More on that in the T-dome thread.

Experts
Jaime 194.40 vs. Whiskeyjack 191.76

Westeros A
Fuentez 153.46 vs. Whiskeyjack 152.34

Westeros B
JJ Lannister 191.54 vs. Whiskeyjack 146.80

Westeros C
Whiskeyjack 185.34 vs. Brian 138.36

Ended up getting one win, in Westeros C.  And losses by less than 3 points in both Experts and Westeros A.  Those were pretty rough.  Was hoping for better, but still a fun year. 

Congrats to Jaime, Fuentez, and JJ.

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

It looks pretty clear for Experts - JJ, Race, Fuentez, WJ and Jaime are the only winners of leagues and Jaime and WJ are already in Experts.  Three slots, three replacements.

I'm back! No more Jaxoming for me damn it! 

Well, all in all, not a bad fantasy year.  Won two of the four dynasty leagues I was in, including one where I damn near started a rebuild at the start of the season because I thought the team wasn't good enough.  Ended up getting some great performances by guys who were big question marks coming into this year like Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, George Kittle, and Marlon Mack, along with TY Hilton returning to form with Luck mostly healthy.  

The other I won despite trading for Bell prior to the season, although I gave up Hunt as a part of that trade, so it kind of ended up being a wash I guess.  I was able to flip Gronk for Kerryon Johnson and a 2019 1st earlier in the season before Kerryon broke out to a team that wanted to contend and was in desperate need of a TE (this is a 1.5 PPR TE premium league, so Gronk had more value than he would otherwise).  Kerryon didn't do anything for me at the end of the season due to the injury, but that trade really helped salvage the Bell trade.  Also got Damien Williams off the garbage heap and now he may be the Chiefs' starter next year, so that feels pretty damn good, especially since he helped me win the semi-finals and the championship.

That Keenan Allen injury really stings, though.  Basically cost me $350, as I would have easily won the championship in one league if I had made it there, and I only lost the semi-final game where he laid a goose egg by six points.  Ugh.  Fantasy is the worst sometimes. 

Won 2 of my 4 leagues and $1250 total. I had Ertz and Jamaal Williams on both of those teams, and scored a league high 208.30 points in one of them(normal .5 point ppr league with 3 wr and a flex). I’ve never scored that much in this league ever. Crazy. Good fantasy year.

• 6 months later...

I’m still in for Experts and Thunderdome. I’m also starting a new league called “Fire & Blood” that I’ve given a brief overview of in an earlier post for anyone interested.

I was just coming to start sounding the alarm myself. We're 8 weeks out, people! Time to wax those legs and lube up your oil, 'cause I swear to god that I'm gonna take Josh Rosen with my first pick in every draft. I just think it's a value selection.

Trust me, I'm an expert.

Archived