Why does the Hound hate Tyrion so much?

Peach King

“Yes.” Tyrion faced him.
Clegane‟s breath came ragged. “Bugger that. And you."Sandor Clegane lingered behind a moment.

"Bloody dwarf. Should have killed him. Years ago.”

“He‟s dead, they say.”
“Dead? No. Bugger that. I don‟t want him dead.” He cast the empty flagon aside. “I want him burned. If the gods are good, they‟ll burn him, but I won‟t be here to see. I‟m going.”
“Going?” She tried to wriggle free, but his grasp was iron.
“The little bird repeats whatever she hears. Going, yes.”

The Hound sat on the bench closest the door. His mouth twitched, but only the burned side.
“She ought to dip him in wildfire and cook him. Or tickle him till the moon turns black.” He
raised his wine cup and drained it straightaway.

“The little bird flew away, did she? Well, bloody good for her. She shit
on the Imp’s head and flew off.”

“Bugger Joffrey, bugger the queen, and bugger that twisted little gargoyle she calls a brother.

“All?” he mocked. “Tell me, little bird, what kind of god makes a monster like the Imp, or a halfwit like Lady Tanda‟sdaughter?

“I‟ll go,” he said, “though not by your command. I need to find that horse.”

“I‟d guard that tongue of yours, little man,” he warned, before he strode off after his liege.

These are just some of his quotes about Tyrion. I would think they'd get along, both being twisted malformed creatures shunned by society. 

He is afraid, Tyrion realized, shocked. The Hound is frightened. He tried to explain their need. "They've taken a ram to the gate, you can hear them, we need to disperse them—"
"Open the gates. When they rush inside, surround them and kill them." The Hound thrust the point of his longsword into the ground and leaned upon the pommel, swaying. "I've lost half my men. Horse as well. I'm not taking more into that fire."

The Hound doesn't like Tyrion because Tyrion burned about as many men from his own side as he did from Stannis' with his Wildfire gambit. Sandor might not have known just how close the losses were for both sides overall, but he could see the results on the north bank where he operated. 

Do you remember the old saying, "No man is a hero to his valet"? Sandor, being the Lannister's personal hired sword, knows all of them in a very intimate way. He sees the private sides of them that they hide from public consumption (which all people do, not just the Lannisters). That fact that he loathes Tyrion says quite a lot about who Tyrion really is as a person.

The wildfire.

If some of those quotes are pre-Blackwater battle, I guess it's that Tyrion lives the pompous life of a Lannister and Sandor is probably envious.

Add the fact what the Mountain has done to Sandor, while the latter might has heard how Tyrion complains how his father and sister mistreat him, which to the Hound sounds like nothing compared with Gregor's behaviour.  

Probably Tyrion was someone who just made the Hound's eyes roll before, but after the Blackwater I see why he'd really hate him.

41 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

The wildfire.

If some of those quotes are pre-Blackwater battle, I guess it's that Tyrion lives the pompous life of a Lannister and Sandor is probably envious.

Add the fact what the Mountain has done to Sandor, while the latter might has heard how Tyrion complains how his father and sister mistreat him, which to the Hound sounds like nothing compared with Gregor's behaviour.  

Probably Tyrion was someone who just made the Hound's eyes roll before, but after the Blackwater I see why he'd really hate him.

I think you've got it. The most vehement statements (about wanting to see Tyrion burned alive and tortured) were after the Blackwater. 

I can definitely see the Hound being ticked that Tyrion, a monster just like him (in his eyes) could lead such a priveleged life and still have the audacity to be all "woe is me" about it. 

@Peach King

Context is key. Kudos for splashing a bunch of unrelated quotes together. Did these multitude of quotes come outta GoT, CoK, SoS, FfC or DwD?

My POV is that Sandor doesn't much like anyone. Cynical is the word I would use to describe Sandor ------ believing that people are motivated by self-interest. Cynics are distrustful of individuals sincerity or integrity.

Sandor is a maimed, loud, brutish, intimidating rather tall muscular male specimen, but he's not lacking in intelligence. He was loyal to Lannister until the fires of the battle got to him.

If some such character appeared in my real life he is one I would want on my side. I definitely would not try to enrage him or get between him and his food.  That is one thing HBO got right. To bad I can't incorporate the scene. into the post. Chickens, plural.

Oh the other hand martin in ASOIAF GoT writes the intro scene of the Hound character astride his horse in the first book as follows in a rather comical situation:

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion I    "A voice from nowhere," Sandor said. He peered through his helm, looking this way and that. "Spirits of the air!"     The prince laughed, as he always laughed when his bodyguard did this mummer's farce. Tyrion was used to it. "Down here." /

Then the bodyguard of the prickly whiny prince passes on a warning to Tyrion in the below quote:

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion I   A shadow fell across his face. He turned to find Clegane looming overhead like a cliff. His soot-dark armor seemed to blot out the sun. He had lowered the visor on his helm. It was fashioned in the likeness of a snarling black hound, fearsome to behold, but Tyrion had always thought it a great improvement over Clegane's hideously burned face.     "The prince will remember that, little lord," the Hound warned him. The helm turned his laugh into a hollow rumble.    "I pray he does," Tyrion Lannister replied. "If he forgets, be a good dog and remind him." He glanced around the courtyard. "Do you know where I might find my brother?"/

To reintegrate what other posters have said, Sandor, in general don't much like people.

3 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

It's not just that. He has a particular revulsion for Tyrion. He doesn't shittalk Joffrey or Cersei half as much, or even his brother. 

I suppose I should have sourced those quotes. But the only context is, he's talking to someone and suddenly he's talking shit about Tyrion. 

9 minutes ago, Peach King said:

It's not just that. He has a particular revulsion for Tyrion. He doesn't shittalk Joffrey or Cersei half as much, or even his brother. 

I suppose I should have sourced those quotes. But the only context is, he's talking to someone and suddenly he's talking shit about Tyrion. 

Yes, Sandor and Tyrion shittalk each other.

Would you agree that the Hound warned Tyrion that the Prince was gonna remember his uncles slap? Did the bodyguard lay hands on Tyrion?

7 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Yes, Sandor and Tyrion shittalk each other.

Would you agree that the Hound warned Tyrion that the Prince was gonna remember his uncles slap? Did the bodyguard lay hands on Tyrion?

So what if he did? He didn't like Joffrey either. 

Understand, the show-Tyrion is not the same person as the book-Tyrion.  Show Tyrion is a creation of Dan and Dave.  Martin's character is an obnoxious and bitter person who throws insults at better men because he can get away with it.  There is no courage in that.  It doesn't make him more of a man.  One swing from Alliser's sword could have put an end to his mouth for good.  I can understand why people would hate him.  Tyrion got away with a lot of insults that would have gotten any other man who isn't a Lannister killed.  The people's fear of Tywin Lannister kept Tyrion safe.

Here's my theory (and note, I agree with many of your other analyses, too). Tyrion and Sandor are of a age. Sandor came into Tywin's service when he was 12, after Gregor killed their father and Sandor left home for good. He appears to have been assigned to guard Cersei rather quickly, which suggests he was pretty good sized by then and proficient in arms. As an added advantage, he was hideous, which added to his effectiveness as a bodyguard.

Now, consider the contrast between Tyrion, a tiny stunted ugly child-going-on-manhood. Tyrion didn't grow much, but Sandor did. But here's where Tyrion had some advantages. True, he was ugly - but Sandor was uglier. True, he was short - but he was A Lannister. This meant that Sandor may have been one of the only people in Casterly Rock (and beyond) that Tyrion was free to make fun of and treat badly.

I suspect that Tyrion did. He's got a sharp wit and little kindness in using it. Tiny Tyrion probably razzed the big ugly galoot every chance he got. Once Tyrion got into his serious drinking, whoring, and gambling years, Sandor would have felt the unnecessary abuse more keenly. After all, Tyrion was hardly a moral paragon, or even a good example. Here Sandor was, taking crap from a stunted little drunkard and unable to so much as insult him back, for fear of repercussions. After all, he wasn't even a knight, much less a lord.

The bad blood started early, in my opinion, and the Blackwater with its wildfire made it a lot worse. It wasn't just the carnage, or the PTSD reawakened - Tyrion made a point of humiliating Sandor in front of his men. ("If I'm a half man, what are you all?")

this person made a good post on  sandor may hate tyrion

https://pasansansan.tumblr.com/post/164339364947/does-anyone-want-to-talk-about-why-sandor-clegane

1. Does anyone want to talk about why Sandor Clegane hates Tyrion so much?

Like, on the surface, it would appear that the two have much in common. They are both defined by what makes them physically different from most people (Sandor’s size and scars, Tyrion’s size…and, later, scars), they are both rejected by their families is some ways, they both see the world cynically and - at least at the beginning of the books - resign themselves to their not-so-virtuous places in it.

But Sandor hates Tyrion.

He mocks Tyrion to his face, as well as behind his back, which is probably not a really safe thing to do? Obviously Tyrion could not physically retaliate, but he is a Lannister, and has a Lannister-sized purse, and some influence - surely there is some risk in flaunting his disregard like that? 

And even if Sandor feels so secure in his station that that doesn’t worry him at all - its somewhat unusual for him to go out of his way to be rude or cruel, as far as we know. Like, yes, he says cruel things to Sansa, but he has a (misguided) goal, there. He’s not just doing it because he likes being mean. In formal company, Sandor is always shown to be just is proper and deferential as any man of the court. But he’ll be cruel to Tyrion…just for the hell of it?

And, most tellingly, Sandor’s last words as he lay dying in the Riverlands are that it would have been better to kill Sansa than leave her to the Imp.

So…why?

Is it just because of Tyrion’s physical appearance? I mean, that’s possible in the world of ASOIAF, but I feel like a man who has lived with unearned, disfiguring scars for most of his life would know better.

Is it because of Tyrion’s poor manners and love of vice? I doubt it, as Sandor says in private how little he cares for kind words and courtesies, and as far as we know, he himself is known to “gamble and whore and visit winesinks”.

Is it Tyrion’s apparent lack of responsibility, and thus loyalty to his family, that is apparent at the beginning of the series? Maybe. That could be part of it, of course, but that seems like a weak reason to truly hate someone, especially when you already have a cynical worldview like Sandor’s.

Does he really hate all the Lannisters, and Tyrion is the only one he can safely take it out on? Seems more likely. Sandor’s words about the weak being made for the strong to play with, and the loyalty of a dog being worth more than idealism, seems to indicate that he doesn’t really hold the Lannisters as a group in any worse regard than any other noble family in Westeros - but that could just be something he tells himself to keep sane.

So here’s my strongest theory.

Sandor was definitely in service to the Lannisters when Tyrion’s first wife, Tysha, was raped by a small army of Lannister guards.

I expect, being only 15 or 16 at the time, Sandor would not have had the position of guard yet, and thus would not have actually taken part. Which means he wasn’t in the room, and didn’t see Tyrion’s face or hear his protests.

Bealish tells Sansa at one point that Tyrions simply tired of his first wife, and “made a gift of her” to his father’s guards. We may assume this is Baelish twisting the story himself, but I think it’s also possible that this is actually how the tale is told among servants at Casterly Rock. Tywin is generally seen as a good ruler, and Tyrion is generally seen as a monstrous deviant - so which version of the story are the smallfolk more likely to believe, and retell?

I think it’s very possible - likely, even - that Sandor, like everyone else in the castle at the time, has been led to believe that Tyrion is not only a moral deviant, but is so cruel and careless as to give a wife over to be gang-raped as a lark. 

It may seem difficult to believe he could essentially watch Tyrion grow up and believe this of him, but we’ve seen that Sandor has internalized a lot of toxic beliefs in order to make sense of the cruel world he lives in - I think Sandor has every reason to take the side of Tywin, a seemingly fair man who took him in and gave him a life when he was a burned and broken boy.

And that’s not to mention that he was Cersei’s personal sworn shield for many years, and probably heard all kinds of terrible things about Tyrion that were passed on (if not invented) by her.

But anyway. I think that the Tysha incident, as Sandor sees it, probably defines Tyrion to him, and for a man who justifies his actions by doing only what he is commanded to do, and not initiating atrocities for fun - I imagine that seems unforgivable.

1 hour ago, goldenlion said:

this person made a good post on  sandor may hate tyrion

This was a very useful observation! When I looked up the birth years, it occurred to me that Sandor would have been in service to Tywin when Tyrion was having his all-too-brief marriage to Tysha. But I didn't follow through on this thought. I differ in that I don't assume Sandor took Tywin's side. He could equally have been disgusted that Tyrion wouldn't stand up to his father for his wife, and not only permitted the gang rape without protest, but also participated himself and then let the poor girl be cast out of the castle to find her own way.

We have seen Sandor behave in a way that might be called chivalrous (he'd sneer at that) when he tried to reassure young Sansa who was scared by Illyn Payne, and all their other interactions. He may very well measure other men by how well they adhere to the "knightly" virtues. I suspect he saw through Cersei very soon and was fully aware of her reproductive activities with Jaime, for example, and so would not be inclined to take any of her stories at face value. "A dog can smell a lie."

But, as I said earlier, it would be natural for young Tyrion to kick down at the one person more grotesque than himself, who could not fight back. It's kind of unusual for Tyrion not to have seen this in himself when he talks up his fondness for "bastards and broken things." But then, Tyrion may assume that Sandor has it made: a great fighter who is literally legendary in his own time. That, and a few coppers will get you a cup of wine.

Archived