What did Barristan think of Ned's execution?

Varysblackfyre321

I find it hard to believe Barristan knowing Ned to be a man of honour would try to steal his best friend's throne but he doesn't seem to have done anything in response until he was dismissed-why is that? I don't mean I expect him to have rescued Ned-but it's odd he never seems to think about Ned's accusations.

Eddard Stark admitted to treason.  He did this in front of an audience.  Do not forget, the people were not exactly on Ned's side during his last few minutes.  There are few on that square who doubted his guilt.  It is not odd at all to believe the indictment against Ned.

Barristan doesn't know the truth about Joffrey's parentage.  So Ned comes to court and attempts to seize control.  That looks bad.  It sure looks like he's trying to take control.  Ned would look suspicious to any man in that room.  Most people believe Ned is guilty.

Barristan witnessed the execution of Ned as an old man in the crowd, having already been dismissed from the KG by Joffrey to make way for The Hound.  It seems to me that Barristan must have realized then, and even more so as time went by afterwards, that most of Ned's supposed confession was Lannister BS and propaganda.  It was the execution of Ned that sent Barristan off into the world to find Dany, wasn't it?  It was the last straw that moved him from waiting around KL and watching to taking the actions that led him to Dany. 

Barristan does try to talk about Ned's execution with Daenerys, but it is in her own POV chapter, and during the conversation she refuses to hear the truth. So, dutiful Barristan drops it. I do like Barri, and I do want to see him have success in his efforts, and I would love it if it were him to finish Jaime's page in the white book, but I don't know if that will happen.

Anyway, Barristan does try to tell the story:

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys II

"A true knight is worth ten guardsmen. The men at the gate were taken by surprise. I rode one down, wrenched away his spear, and drove it through the throat of my closest pursuer. The other broke off once I was through the gate, so I spurred my horse to a gallop and rode hellbent along the river until the city was lost to sight behind me. That night I traded my horse for a handful of pennies and some rags, and the next morning I joined the stream of smallfolk making their way to King's Landing. I'd gone out the Mud Gate, so I returned through the Gate of the Gods, with dirt on my face, stubble on my cheeks, and no weapon but a wooden staff. In roughspun clothes and mud-caked boots, I was just one more old man fleeing the war. The gold cloaks took a stag from me and waved me through. King's Landing was crowded with smallfolk who'd come seeking refuge from the fighting. I lost myself amongst them. I had a little silver, but I needed that to pay my passage across the narrow sea, so I slept in septs and alleys and took my meals in pot shops. I let my beard grow out and cloaked myself in age. The day Lord Stark lost his head, I was there, watching. Afterward I went into the Great Sept and thanked the seven gods that Joffrey had stripped me of my cloak."

"Stark was a traitor who met a traitor's end."

"Your Grace," said Selmy, "Eddard Stark played a part in your father's fall, but he bore you no ill will. When the eunuch Varys told us that you were with child, Robert wanted you killed, but Lord Stark spoke against it. Rather than countenance the murder of children, he told Robert to find himself another Hand."

"Have you forgotten Princess Rhaenys and Prince Aegon?"

"Never. That was Lannister work, Your Grace."

"Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper's dogs. If a child is set upon by a pack of hounds, does it matter which one tears out his throat? All the dogs are just as guilty. The guilt …" The word caught in her throat. Hazzea, she thought, and suddenly she heard herself say, "I have to see the pit," in a voice as small as a child's whisper. "Take me down, ser, if you would."

A flicker of disapproval crossed the old man's face, but it was not his way to question his queen. "As you command."

And Eddard did not truly confess to any treason at all when you realize what he is saying (and the reader should know there was no treason committed), and anyone who knows Eddard and his faith in the old gods should know this. Additonally, Eddard kept his voice up, and there is a quote in the books that says a good commander must have a strong voice. Eddard went down in battle, which probably is one of the reasons why Barristan has some respect for Eddard:

A Game of Thrones - Arya V

When the bell ceased to toll, a quiet slowly settled across the great plaza, and her father lifted his head and began to speak, his voice so thin and weak she could scarcely make him out. People behind her began to shout out, "What?" and "Louder!" The man in the black-and-gold armor stepped up behind Father and prodded him sharply. You leave him alone! Arya wanted to shout, but she knew no one would listen. She chewed her lip.
Her father raised his voice and began again. "I am Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King," he said more loudly, his voice carrying across the plaza, "and I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of gods and men."

"NO," Arya whimpered. Below her, the crowd began to scream and shout. Taunts and obscenities filled the air. Sansa had hidden her face in her hands.

Her father raised his voice still higher, straining to be heard. "I betrayed the faith of my king and the trust of my friend, Robert," he shouted. "I swore to defend and protect his children, yet before his blood was cold, I plotted to depose and murder his son and seize the throne for myself. Let the High Septon and Baelor the Beloved and the Seven bear witness to the truth of what I say: Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne, and by the grace of all the gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."
A stone came sailing out of the crowd. Arya cried out as she saw her father hit. The gold cloaks kept him from falling. Blood ran down his face from a deep gash across his forehead. More stones followed. One struck the guard to Father's left. Another went clanging off the breastplate of the knight in the black-and-gold armor. Two of the Kingsguard stepped in front of Joffrey and the queen, protecting them with their shields.

Found the other quote:

A Storm of Swords - Jon VII

He has a lord's voice, Jon thought. His father had always said that in battle a captain's lungs were as important as his sword arm. "It does not matter how brave or brilliant a man is, if his commands cannot be heard," Lord Eddard told his sons, so Robb and he used to climb the towers of Winterfell to shout at each other across the yard. Donal Noye could have drowned out both of them. The moles all went in terror of him, and rightfully so, since he was always threatening to rip their heads off.

It wasn't the first time Barristan sat back and watched a Stark get executed in King's Landing. I'm sure part of himself was secretly happy about it because Barristan's beloved Ashara Dayne was involved in a love triangle with Ned and his brother Brandon. I'm sure the other part of Barristan felt bad about Ned's execution unlike Brandon's, for Brandon actually slept with his dream girl Ashara. On days when Barristan questions whether or not he should have saved Aerys I'm sure he thinks back to Brandon Stark strangling himself to death as conformation that he did the right thing, Daenerys being born is now just an added bonus. Barristan may go back and forth on which king or queen to serve but he was very loyal when he came to the woman he stalked.

15 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Barristan witnessed the execution of Ned as an old man in the crowd, having already been dismissed from the KG by Joffrey to make way for The Hound.  It seems to me that Barristan must have realized then, and even more so as time went by afterwards, that most of Ned's supposed confession was Lannister BS and propaganda.  It was the execution of Ned that sent Barristan off into the world to find Dany, wasn't it?  It was the last straw that moved him from waiting around KL and watching to taking the actions that led him to Dany. 

No; Barristan went to find Daenarys after he was forcibly retired(not a particularly great to begin serving his rightful masters imo-).

On August 2, 2018 at 7:04 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Eddard Stark admitted to treason.  He did this in front of an audience.  Do not forget, the people were not exactly on Ned's side during his last few minutes.  There are few on that square who doubted his guilt.  It is not odd at all to believe the indictment against Ned.

Barristan doesn't know the truth about Joffrey's parentage.  So Ned comes to court and attempts to seize control.  That looks bad.  It sure looks like he's trying to take control.  Ned would look suspicious to any man in that room.  Most people believe Ned is guilty.

Still Barristan, knew Eddard Stark-knew his honour-he was there when Ned resigned over Robert ordering the assassination of pregnant teenage Daenarys and felt so strongly about the man's honor, he even defended him to Daenarys.

In all likelihood Barristan believed that Ned was executed over the regency, which he knew that was given to Ned by Robert's will. He probably thought that it Cersei's coup and decided that Joffrey was illegitimate not on account of him being a bastard but on Robert being a usurper in the first place. Or maybe nothing so articulate, but simply washed his hands of the whole affair. 

He also probably guessed that Ned confessed due to Sansa being a hostage. 

Barristan knew Ned casually.  Might have even considered him a man of honor.  It doesn't mean he believed Ned was incapable of treason.  An honorable man can make a bad decision and dishonor himself.  Besides, Barristan had more important things to do than to rescue a man who already confessed to treason.   Ned confessed and he is guilty until someone can prove the opposite.   Barristan can't be sure of the truth.   All of that is behind him now because he found Daenerys.  I am sure the question came up because young Dany is inquisitive but the best Barristan can do is give an opinion.  He doesn't have the facts.  

14 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Still Barristan, knew Eddard Stark-knew his honour-he was there when Ned resigned over Robert ordering the assassination of pregnant teenage Daenarys and felt so strongly about the man's honor, he even defended him to Daenarys.

Barristan can still like Ned and believe he tried to take throne at the same time.  Barristan's loyalty to the Baratheons have waned by this time.  I doubt he cared too much what Ned did to Joffrey.  Though that does not make him believe treason is an alright thing to do.  Ned was honorable one minute and commits treason the next.  

14 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

In all likelihood Barristan believed that Ned was executed over the regency, which he knew that was given to Ned by Robert's will. He probably thought that it Cersei's coup and decided that Joffrey was illegitimate not on account of him being a bastard but on Robert being a usurper in the first place. Or maybe nothing so articulate, but simply washed his hands of the whole affair. 

He also probably guessed that Ned confessed due to Sansa being a hostage. 

This makes perfect sense-who has regency over Joffery is worth killing over since they can have direct influence on him as grows. 

Archived