Fargo Season 4

Werthead

34 minutes ago, sifth said:

Wait, I thought Hanzee/Moses Trippoli doesn't swear vengeance on Kansas City, but just chooses to build an empire of his own. He played a rather big role destroying the Gerhardt's himself, so I'm not sure why he'd try to avenge them.

When the identity guy asks him about Kansas City he gives a brief speech mirroring Moses Trippoli's few lines in season one. Something like  "Not apprehend, dead.  Don't care 'heavily guarded', don't care 'Into the sea.' Heads in a bag. That's the message." 

Edit: I guess revenge is maybe the wrong word though, you're probably right that he just wants to build his own empire and KC is in the way. 

This week's episode felt more like a set up episode, despite the fact that a few big events did happen. I'm still trying to process how I feel about it, but I think there was more I liked in this episode then I didn't so that's good.

Chris Rock has been really good in this.

When the show is completely finished it would be interesting to see all the little nods to the Coen brothers filmography listed out. This one obviously had Rock giving the young guy the Buscemi treatment with the belt. 

32 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Chris Rock has been really good in this.

When the show is completely finished it would be interesting to see all the little nods to the Coen brothers filmography listed out. This one obviously had Rock giving the young guy the Buscemi treatment with the belt. 

To be honest, this has been the first episode Chris Rock really impressed me. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was pretty good in the past episodes, but this week is the first time I thought he hit it out of the park with his performance. He showed so many emotions this week, some without any dialogue at all, like the scene, where the Italian mafia kid was going to the bathroom at night. I really hope he's able to keep up such a strong performance.

Not buying Chris Rock at all as a mob boss.  His Loy is the weakest part of this season. This season has just been ok for me. Too many moving pieces and, therefore, not enough depth to any of the characters. At least Rabbi Milligan and Odis have a bit of backstory. I'm not seeing a purpose for certain characters like Oraetta. I think I miss the tighter cast of s1. I'll watch the rest of the season, but I no longer look forward to each new episode as I did in seasons past.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, Nictarion said:

I know I saw a truck with Treehorn written on it. I bet if I re-watched Miller's Crossing I'd catch some more. 

I don't have much to say about this episode. Other than maybe if you suspect your neighbor is a murderer who tried to poison you should go to the cops instead of writing a letter to her boss suggesting he look into it. Did they ever show Oretta find the notebook that Ethelreda left in her murder closet? 

I re-watched the movie the other day, it's on Netflix. Seems so restrained compared to the show. I read the wikipedia article after and learned that:

In 1997, a pilot was filmed for an intended television series based on the film. Set in Brainerd shortly after the events of the film, it starred Edie Falco as Marge Gunderson and Bruce Bohne reprising his role as Officer Lou. It was directed by Kathy Bates and featured no involvement from the Coen brothers. The episode aired in 2003 during Trio's Brilliant But Cancelled series of failed TV shows.[64]

So now I need to find that! It aired, someone must have recorded it. 

Man, I keep thinking they're going to kill Gaetano and then they don't. Seriously like what 6+ guys with automatic rifles attack, kill just about all the guards and then are driven off by a big target rushing at them with two pistols? I know I shouldn't complain about Fargo being ridiculous but that seemed like the wrong kind of ridiculous.  

I liked the rest of the episode though. The Odis/Marshall thing seemed a bit contrived. I figured Odis had orders to kill him, and was wondering how the hell he was going to do that with all those other cops around. The writers found a way, I guess.  

On 11/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, RumHam said:

Hide contents

Man, I keep thinking they're going to kill Gaetano and then they don't. Seriously like what 6+ guys with automatic rifles attack, kill just about all the guards and then are driven off by a big target rushing at them with two pistols? I know I shouldn't complain about Fargo being ridiculous but that seemed like the wrong kind of ridiculous.  

I liked the rest of the episode though. The Odis/Marshall thing seemed a bit contrived. I figured Odis had orders to kill him, and was wondering how the hell he was going to do that with all those other cops around. The writers found a way, I guess.  

Gaetano might be the weirdest character this season. One moment I hate the guy, the next I kind of like him. The characters been an emotional roller coaster. One minute he's a complete idiot, the next he does something really smart. I can't decide if this is bad writing or if he's just a dynamic character. I'm leaning more towards the latter, but I'm going to wait until the season is finished before I make up my mind.

One of my biggest issues this season is Loy Cannon's gang really seems a lot less interesting, when compared to the Italian's. Aside from Doctor, his gang members really haven't done anything to standout to me. It really does feel like Chris Rock is just talking to a bunch of blank faces and yes men, most of the time. I think the guy with the glasses who's usually guarding him is called Uncle, but I'm not entirely sure if the guy has spoken ten lines in the entire series. 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

One of my biggest issues this season is Loy Cannon's gang really seems a lot less interesting, when compared to the Italian's. Aside from Doctor, his gang members really haven't done anything to standout to me. It really does feel like Chris Rock is just talking to a bunch of blank faces and yes men, most of the time. I think the guy with the glasses who's usually guarding him is called Uncle, but I'm not entirely sure if the guy has spoken ten lines in the entire series. 

That's Opal Rackley, Loy's bodyguard. FX has a brief bio on some of the characters and their actors on its website. https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/fargo/cast-crew/chris-rock-loy-cannon

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched ep1 and found it pretty boring.  Where’s the quirky humor?  Where’s the Everyman who makes a bad decision that sets them on an irreversible slide into risks they never imagined?  This seems flat and dull.

Can you convince me that it’s worth continuing?

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I just watched ep1 and found it pretty boring.  Where’s the quirky humor?  Where’s the Everyman who makes a bad decision that sets them on an irreversible slide into risks they never imagined?  This seems flat and dull.

Can you convince me that it’s worth continuing?

It's not as good as the previous seasons, sadly. 

I liked season three, I thought it got a bit of a bad wrap. There are definitely parts of this season I love. Schwartzman is great as Josto. I love Ethelredia and Oretta. Dr. Senator was great. I like Milligan. I challenge anyone not to like Olyphant. 

But as a whole it feels a little disjointed and maybe like there are too many characters and we don't get enough time with any of them. It hasn't really come together yet, but hopefully that will change in the finale. 

Huston did some good work as Odis, but spent most of his time flicking locks and knocking on doors. I feel like we spent a lot of time with him and again good performance but the role wasn't that interesting.

Gaetano was a cartoon for the first half of the season. Then became interesting when he teamed up with Josto. Then died. What even was the point of having their mother die? Especially if Gaetano is then going to chastise his brother for "making it personal" the next time they appear? weird. 

Rock has his moments but I'm not a huge fan of his performance. e can be great when Loy's rattled but when he's just giving one of his monologues or talking normally he's just meh.

I'm still enjoying it and eager to see what happens, but I feel like most of my favorite characters are dead. 

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just started watching as well and I’m not sure if I want to see the rest of it. I do like the narrator, though. Is she a character who showed up in any of the previous seasons?

I don't think so. I'm a huge fan of this show and she doesn't seem like anyone I remember from past seasons.

I really enjoyed the final as well, especially that cameo we got at the end from one of my favorite characters

Archived