Fargo Season 4

Werthead

13 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Season 1 is great. It is an extremely fun and entertaining re- imagining of the movie. It was fun to see how Hawley moved the many set pieces from the movie into new places and new characters. Season 1 also features an excellent performance by Billy Bob Thorton. He's probably the best villain of the whole show. But it also the most derivative of all the seasons. So COMPARATIVELY it's weaker than the others.  Don't get me wrong. I love season 1. But I didn't start thinking Fargo was among the best shows on TV until the next couple of seasons aired.  Season 2 was perfect.

I know different strokes for different folks but I always wonder when I read comments by those who praised season 1 but trash the other seasons: Did they see the movie?  They must know that just about everything that is in season 1 was covered in the movie right? 

I agree that S1 was very similar to the movie, but perhaps needed to be in order to earn permission to continue as a TV show.  And it was no small success to expand the story from two hours to ten, and find a new cast, and make it all feel compelling and fresh despite a long time lapse since the movie.

I don’t disagree with your basis for rating S1 lower, I just don’t weight it as heavily as you do.  The humor and the sense of falling down the rabbit-hole are more important to me, so I rate S1 very highly.

8 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Season 1 is great. It is an extremely fun and entertaining re- imagining of the movie. It was fun to see how Hawley moved the many set pieces from the movie into new places and new characters. Season 1 also features an excellent performance by Billy Bob Thorton. He's probably the best villain of the whole show. But it also the most derivative of all the seasons. So COMPARATIVELY it's weaker than the others.  Don't get me wrong. I love season 1. But I didn't start thinking Fargo was among the best shows on TV until the next couple of seasons aired.  Season 2 was perfect.

I know different strokes for different folks but I always wonder when I read comments by those who praised season 1 but trash the other seasons: Did they see the movie?  They must know that just about everything that is in season 1 was covered in the movie right? 

I saw the movie and it's a very different beast, than season 1 of the show. So much so that I really can't compare the two all that much. Don't get be wrong, there are a handful of similarities, but their only minor ones at best, winks and nobs if you will, for fans of the movie. Just take Lorne Malvo for example, no character even remotely similar to him exists in the movie and he was by far the best thing about season 1. Colin Hanks character Gus, as well, has no counter point in the movie and he is very important character in season 1 as well. Even character that do have similar story beats like Lester and Jerry take two massively different journeys to reach their endings; which I will admit are similar, but again those moments were more winks and nods to movie fans.

Seasons 1 and 2 of this show were amazing for me. Possibly my favorite show of the decade. 3 and 4, just haven't been able to keep the magic going. They have their moments, but the feeling of being blown away each week by amazing writing just isn't their for them. Season 3 in particular was a hard watch for me, because I really did not like that robot episode at all and don't even get me started about Ewan McGregor playing twins and how wasted that story line felt. David Thewlis was probably the only thing I enjoyed that year from Fargo.

Archived