Favorite quote that has helped you IRL

BigBoss1

On 8/5/2018 at 3:44 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

In general this whole sentiment is helpful in real life- people are people no matter where they come from, but I often find myself thinking of the last part in particular in a variety of situations. 

A Dance with Dragons - Jon V

Val had reminded him of that, on his last visit with her. "Free folk and kneelers are more alike than not, Jon Snow. Men are men and women women, no matter which side of the Wall we were born on. Good men and bad, heroes and villains, men of honor, liars, cravens, brutes … we have plenty, as do you."

She was not wrong. The trick was telling one fromthe other, parting the sheep from the goats.

I think about that one a lot, when people say "how can you defend Group X!? Person X was part of Group X!". Which kind of links in to another quote I really like- "Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples - while judging ourselves by our best intentions." which is amazingly by George W Bush. But maybe that amazes me because I judge him by his worst examples...

I would go a bit deeper though, and say that you can't just separate people into sheep and goats. It doesn't work as well as a quote out of context, but as Davos tells us- 

"I am a man. I am kind to my wife, but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad."

Melisandre is the character who is most closely associated with defining everyone and everything as good or evil, and she ends up burning people alive...

Archived