Tyrion will ride Viserion

chrisdaw

Viserion is coloured gold for Tyrion.

Viserion is named for Tyrion.

Tyrion engineers special saddles.

"Salloreon, as it please my lord. If the King's Hand will permit, I should be most honored to forge him a suit of armor suitable to his House and high office." Two of the others sniggered, but Salloreon plunged ahead, heedless. "Plate and scale, I think. The scales gilded bright as the sun, the plate enameled a deep Lannister crimson. I would suggest a demon's head for a helm, crowned with tall golden horns. When you ride into battle, men will shrink away in fear."

Scales gilded bright as the sun, a demons head with tall golden horns, when you ride into battle men will shrink away in fear. Tyrion on Viserion.

A demon's head, Tyrion thought ruefully, now what does that say of me? "Master Salloreon, I plan to fight the rest of my battles from this chair.

Fighting battles from chairs, Tyrion fighting from his dragon saddle.

And here in the Winds chapter, rather point blank foreshadowing.

Spoiler

The white cyvasse dragon ended up at Tyrion's feet. He scooped it off the carpet and wiped it on his sleeve, but some of the Yunkish blood had collected in the fine grooves of the carving, so the pale wood seemed veined with red. "All hail our beloved queen, Daenerys." Be she alive or be she dead. He tossed the bloody dragon in the air, caught it, grinned.

Tyrion will ride Viserion, he will be courted by Dany and Aegon during the dance, he will commit to neither until a winner is assured (Dany), then he will buy his way into her good graces with blood. Tywin's strategy during Robert's rebellion, Tywin writ small. 

Seems like less than circumstantial evidence. Wishful thinking - and there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally don't see Tyrion riding anything more impressive than a jackass in the future. His last chapters (and I haven't yet read the pre-released WoW chapter(s), since I don't play Gameboy) suggest his wit is coming back to him, so long as he isn't constantly drunk. Also, he's beginning to regain his basic decency, taking both Penny and Jorah with him in his bold escape. But the closer he gets to Daenerys (and her dragons), the further away he gets. And he's a nice, sheep-sized morsel that can't run too fast.

Couldn't agree more.  Tyrion riding a dragon has been foreshadowed for a long time.  Moqorro's speech, his dreaming of dragons, his knowledge in Dance, his wiping the blood of Viserion, the coloring of his hair and Viserion, him helping Bran ride a horse, his possible Targ heritage, his being outside Mereen, Rhaegals returning to the city before the horn is blown, etc. etc., it is all leading somewhere.

However I see things going down once he rides the dragon a little differently.  I believe he betrays Danaerys for love, love of Jaime.  Up until that point he will be loyal to her.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Up until that point he will be loyal to her.

No, see that's the whole point of this passage. Or this passage., and indeed the whole event is in service to the whole point of Tyrion, Tywin writ small. 

"It is justice. It was Ser Amory who brought me the girl's body, if you must know. He found her hiding under her father's bed, as if she believed Rhaegar could still protect her. Princess Elia and the babe were in the nursery a floor below."

"Well, it's a tale, and Ser Amory's not like to deny it. What will you tell Oberyn when he asks who gave Lorch his orders?"

"Ser Amory acted on his own in the hope of winning favor from the new king. Robert's hatred for Rhaegar was scarcely a secret."

It might serve, Tyrion had to concede, but the snake will not be happy. "Far be it from me to question your cunning, Father, but in your place I do believe I'd have let Robert Baratheon bloody his own hands."

Lord Tywin stared at him as if he had lost his wits. "You deserve that motley, then. We had come late to Robert's cause. It was necessary to demonstrate our loyalty. When I laid those bodies before the throne, no man could doubt that we had forsaken House Targaryen forever. And Robert's relief was palpable. As stupid as he was, even he knew that Rhaegar's children had to die if his throne was ever to be secure. Yet he saw himself as a hero, and heroes do not kill children." His father shrugged. "I grant you, it was done too brutally. Elia need not have been harmed at all, that was sheer folly. By herself she was nothing."

The question is coming, is he or is he not Tywin writ small. He plays it like Tywin, sits it out until a winner is clear, then hands over either Jaime or his nephews to Dany. THEN when Dany is about to drop the axe he has his change of heart.

Dance (the book) was GRRM putting Tyrion's feet in both camps, Aegon's and Dany's, so that he can dance between both.

9 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

yrion riding a dragon has been foreshadowed for a long time. 

As has Cersei's riding Rhaegal. Remember, as a girl, she drew pictures of herself and handsome Prince Rhaegal riding on a dragon.

5 hours ago, MostlyMoody said:

Actually reading through the examples you provided it seems that the more foreshadowed thing is that Tyrion will become a demon sitting in a chair. (Satan?)

To some, Tyrion is already there!

On 8/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, zandru said:

As has Cersei's riding Rhaegal. Remember, as a girl, she drew pictures of herself and handsome Prince Rhaegal riding on a dragon.

That sounds so cynical! Cersei + Rhaegal is my only ship, the only one I get starry eyed about. :)

On 8/7/2018 at 3:57 AM, chrisdaw said:

Tyrion will ride Viserion, he will be courted by Dany and Aegon during the dance, he will commit to neither until a winner is assured (Dany), then he will buy his way into her good graces with blood. Tywin's strategy during Robert's rebellion, Tywin writ small. 

But seriously, does Aegon have to be one of the stars of this theory? If Dany gets to mobilise both the Dothraki and her Unsullied, then Aegon's Golden Company will be running for the hills.

Also, why would Aegon need to court Tyrion? Aegon has new friends now; Tyrion has literally missed the boat. Besides, the only reason to court Tyrion would be for his knowledge of dragons, and Aegon is heading in the wrong direction to find one of those.

Jon Snow will ride Viseryon.

If Jon was born a girl, instead of a boy, then his name was supposed to be Visenya. Dany's brother, Viserys was called the last dragon. In Valyrian language words dragon and prince are the same. If Jon is son of Rhaegar, then he is the last dragon/last Targaryen prince, and not Viserys. Dany named one of her dragons after her husband, Drogo - Drogon, her own dragon. The other after her first brother, Rhaegar - Rhaegel, same as her son, Rhaego. So Rhaegel will be Rhaego's dragon. And Rhaego is alive. Just wait, and you'll see, that it is so. And the third dragon was named after Dany's second brother, Viserys - Viseryon. Viserys was mistakenly thought of as the last dragon, and the real last dragon is Jon Snow, who was supposed to be born Visenya.

Viseryon's coloring: white like snow, gold like crown/king, bronze like traditional metal of First Men (Jon's mother, Lyanna Stark, is of First Men origin), so this colors are a hint, that Jon is Viseryon's future rider.

Drogon's coloring: red/crimson and black - Targaryen motto - Fire and Blood.

Rhaegel's coloring: green - like grass, bronze - like color of Dothraki skin, or Dothraki bronze arakhs. Rhaego is half-dragonseed, half-Dothraki. So green-bronze is an ideal coloring for Dothraki dragon.

Three heads of the dragon - Dany, Rhaego and Jon, makes sense. They are like The Holy Trinity - The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit; only in ASOIAF's case they are the Mother, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. And Tyrion, as one of three dragon heads, doesn't make any sense. If he is not son of Tywin Lannister, then his entire characterisation will fall apart. Him, being son of King Aerys, won't add anything to his character. While Jon Snow, being fake bastard, and the promised Prince, son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, will add additional layers to his character.

I'm not saying, that it's absolutely impossible, that Tyrion will ride Viseryon, or any other dragon. I'm just saying, that it's unlikely.

19 hours ago, Springwatch said:

But seriously, does Aegon have to be one of the stars of this theory?

Yes, he does. Though it doesn't mean, that he will ride a dragon.

GRRM is using Biblical themes in his books. Dany, Rhaego, and Jon are the Holy Trinity, and fAegon is like fake Messiah - Antichrist. Like in the book of Revelation, Golden Company is the beast out of the sea, and Varys is the beast out of the earth, and Dragon's/Antichrist's false prophet.

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

@chrisdaw, I am still buying Brown Ben Plumm and eventually Timett, but Tyrion would not surprise me at all. Would this mean that he is actually the offspring of Aerys? 

Sure he is. That was never in doubt.

Speculation about the details of the Second Dance don't lead anywhere at this point, in my opinion.

However, I daresay that Tyrion will catch the irony of killing Jaime's father and Jaime killing his father. I assume he would call they are even now.

But then - who knows whether Jaime will still be alive when Tyrion returns to KL? The guy is a loose cannon and could get himself killed basically on any page between here and the end of the series.

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am still buying Brown Ben Plumm ...

I can see good old uncle Brown Ben managing to steal a dragon This would give him and his sellswords the edge in getting contracts at the highest rates all over Essos. There would be little or no point in their ever going to Westeros. This leaves Dany one dragon down!

Remember, we've never seen any rapport between Book Tyrion and the dragons.

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

@chrisdaw, I am still buying Brown Ben Plumm and eventually Timett, but Tyrion would not surprise me at all. Would this mean that he is actually the offspring of Aerys? 

He is yeah and by Tyrion's end things will have transitioned to a stage where king Tyrion will look like Aerys and Hand Jaime will look like Tywin.

I think the lesson in Tyrion's story is going to be don't let yourself be defined by your father. Tyrion is going to always think in terms of Tywin, he feels like he can't be anything other than what Tywin thought he was and lead him to become. And the largest part of his motivation so far has been to prove himself to Tywin, and after Tywin's death his motivation will be to eclipse Tywin. Tywin was Hand, Tyrion will be king. Remember how it came down to jealousy and who was the greater man between Aerys and Tywin, on Aerys' part anyway.

The line of thinking will be something like, "you always thought I was a useless disgrace to you and our House father, but look I have become the greatest Lannister ever, King of the whole of Westeros, a greater man than you ever dared becoming."

In the end it'll all be pointless because Tywin wasn't even his dad, he was not predisposed to have to love him, there was no set path, he could have chosen to be anything he wanted and after his death Tywin had no power to influence Tyrion but that which Tyrion gave him.

By trying to eclipse Tywin, Tyrion will become Aerys.

27 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

By trying to eclipse Tywin, Tyrion will become Aerys.

Tyrion will have much more to do with the living than the dead - especially once dragonfire burns away all that Lannister nonsense and he finally realizes who and what he actually is. A dragonrider will have better things to do to spend the rest of his life musing about a man who died on the privy.

And he'll have a new half-sister and dead half-brothers and a dead royal father to deal with. Possibly even some half-nephews.

Tywin won't go away completely, of course, but learning that the guy wasn't his father should also allow the dwarf to find his own voice.

And Tywin isn't defined by that cowardly Sack thing anyway. Tywin Lannister was a great general and a great Hand. Those are his defining qualities, not fear for his heir preventing him from showing his colors until the war was essentially over.

Tyrion has no son or heir. He'll do what he likes. And chances are he'll like Daenerys Targaryen a lot more than the feigned boy. She is a woman, after all.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But then - who knows whether Jaime will still be alive when Tyrion returns to KL? The guy is a loose cannon and could get himself killed basically on any page between here and the end of the series.

No supporting quotes, no evidence, and no real desire to debate it, but I've had a hunch that Jaime will die in the ultimate act of self sacrifice to finally defeat the Others (or at least enable the defeat) and his last line before his heroic suicidal action will be "the things I do for love."  I really hope GRRM didn't build this amazing character journey only to abort it before the narrative climax.

4 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

by Tyrion's end things will have transitioned to a stage where king Tyrion will look like Aerys and Hand Jaime will look like Tywin.

Cersei is already taking the Mad Aerys role, even down to the excess of paranoia and love of burning things with wildfire. To have this happen a third time would be boring and repetitive. Moreover, Jaime has refused Cersei in not taking the Hand job. (heh, heh) Jaime doesn't have the complete lack of ethics and self-centeredness that made Tywin such a success.

So I doubt this particular scenario. Also, there hasn't yet been any indication that Tyrion will "bond" with the one remaining dragon. (Remember, Drogon is off in the Dothraki Sea and one of the others is riding with Brown Ben Plumm and his sellswords.)

21 hours ago, zandru said:

Cersei is already taking the Mad Aerys role, even down to the excess of paranoia and love of burning things with wildfire. To have this happen a third time would be boring and repetitive. Moreover, Jaime has refused Cersei in not taking the Hand job. (heh, heh) Jaime doesn't have the complete lack of ethics and self-centeredness that made Tywin such a success.

So I doubt this particular scenario. Also, there hasn't yet been any indication that Tyrion will "bond" with the one remaining dragon. (Remember, Drogon is off in the Dothraki Sea and one of the others is riding with Brown Ben Plumm and his sellswords.)

?

22 hours ago, zandru said:

When do you suppose we should have gotten an indication of a dragon bonding with Tyrion? During what scene?

I personally believe that Tyrion is Tywin's son. I feel the whole thing with Tyrion's dragon obsession is a red herring. I believe R+L=J, but even if that's not true, it's unlikely that Jon is Ned Stark's son. I doubt the plot will involve another secret parentage.

I think it's highly unlikely that Tyrion will ride a dragon.

Tyrion's parentage is designed in contrast to Jon.

Jon is what happens when a boy is adopted by a good father, loved and raised right. He'll become a hero.

Tyrion is the other side of the equation, GRRM asking himself what would happen to Jon if Ned wasn't Ned? He's already given away that Tyrion is a villain.

Archived