WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

I think Malazan would require its world book's in-world author to be a raving lunatic as a way to get around some of the gross inconsistencies. I'd read it.

Well yeah, the book would be written by Kruppe or Iskaral Pust. Job done.

53 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was thinking about what I think Wert said last thread about the World boom having horrible art, which got me thinking. Has there ever been GOOD WoT art?

The e-book edition covers featured fine work by artists like Michael Komarck, Donato Giancola, Dan Dos Santos -- see https://dragonmount.com/Books/ebook_covers_tor

Seamas Gallagher did some nice fan art http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/2007/07/wheel-of-time-series-i-finally-got.html

The WoT comics by the Dabels/Red Eagle/Dynamite had some decent artwork on occasion -- no world-shaking artists, but competent ones.

But it's true that Jordan seemed less interested in artwork depicting his characters and setting than GRRM, for example. The story of the worldbook art, as told by Jordan, was that the artist that was hired was shortchanged by TOR and so he did the work that merited the pittance they were giving him. That said, there was never much of an effort to do any kind of Wheel of Time art beyond the covers in Jordan's time. Most of the artistic efforts were left to amateurs because neither TOR nor RJ were particularly concerned.

ETA: Oh, the Japanese covers are also fun: https://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+of+time+japanese+covers

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I do worry how well Trollocs can be translated from page to screen. Tall humanoids with the facial features of animals.

Will this look scary, or silly?

This. The look of Trollocs can go sideways so easily. Let's hope they hire the right concept artists...

One thing that I loved about PJ's LOTR production is that he brought in John Howe and Alan Lee to design the look of ... everything.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I do worry how well Trollocs can be translated from page to screen. Tall humanoids with the facial features of animals.

I always imagined them as Jackson trilogy's Orcs. It was a mental note to evade silliness of it :D

But, WoT does need some proper artwork. You can't even find a decent Ajah symbol in colors. Or God forbid Amyrlin seat. 

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I wonder how well "trollocs" will translate to people's ears especially if British. It will add to the silly in my mind although British reviewers will find it hard to resist the negative review tag of "what a load of trollocs"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived