WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

I think I pronounced her name something like "See-ew-ann". Apparently I thought she would a Thai noodle dish. I have no recollection of her appearance either other than being short.

9 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Despite the name, though, there's no need for Siuan to be played by an Asian woman. The names and associated races for various countries don't necessarily match.

I would disagree with this. WoT has potential, as no fantasy franchise before (with the likes of LOTR, HP or GoT) to get a verz diverse cast of actors. It would be downright disappointing if we see the WoT cast looking a lot like the aforementioned adaptations of fantasy.

11 hours ago, Risto said:

I would disagree with this. WoT has potential, as no fantasy franchise before (with the likes of LOTR, HP or GoT) to get a verz diverse cast of actors. It would be downright disappointing if we see the WoT cast looking a lot like the aforementioned adaptations of fantasy.

I'm not saying she be played by a white woman. At all. But Tairens are dark skinned or fair, and in my head, I think having an African American woman play Siuan's role would work just as well as an Asian woman. 

Honestly, though, I hope they do a truly blind casting for ALL the roles.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Despite being from Tear, Siuan is a white woman with blue eyes.

All of the nations in WoT are pretty mixed up in terms of skin colour, appearance etc. The nations have tendencies - the south coast nations to be darker-skinned, Saldaeans to have almond eyes etc - but they don't have locked-in ethnic appearances. People can more tell where other people are from via accents and dress style. For that reason I think changing characters' appearances with actors of a different background is not a major issue for the series.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

All of the nations in WoT are pretty mixed up in terms of skin colour, appearance etc. The nations have tendencies - the south coast nations to be darker-skinned, Saldaeans to have almond eyes etc - but they don't have locked-in ethnic appearances. People can more tell where other people are from via accents and dress style. For that reason I think changing characters' appearances with actors of a different background is not a major issue for the series.

Yup. The Aiel are about the only ones who have a "look". And even then the Andoran royal family shares it, so it's not unique.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:34 PM, fionwe1987 said:

Honestly, though, I hope they do a truly blind casting for ALL the roles.

Agreed. As you said, pretty much only the Aiel have a look that is actually a plot point - kinda like all the Lannisters being blond. I don't want them all to be tall redheads and blondes, but enough that it's obvious it's a thing. I'm actually kind of excited to see the diverse casting we should get - especially in the White Tower - and will be disappointed if we don't. And yes, I know how passionate fans can get about casting because I remember it from GoT - (NCW as Jaime? Ewww - not pretty enough, his nose is wrong!) but I hope people aren't going to get upset if Sheriam doesn't have red hair, for instance.

(and I pronounced Siuan like you do, too)

I've seen it pronounced Swahn Sahn-chay. I'll admit Sanche sounds best with a French pronunciation on the final syllable. Just throw an accent aigu on the "e".

As far as casting goes, I'll be disappointed if Mat doesn't have well-turned calves.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:16 PM, Gertrude said:

Agreed. As you said, pretty much only the Aiel have a look that is actually a plot point - kinda like all the Lannisters being blond. I don't want them all to be tall redheads and blondes, but enough that it's obvious it's a thing. I'm actually kind of excited to see the diverse casting we should get - especially in the White Tower - and will be disappointed if we don't. And yes, I know how passionate fans can get about casting because I remember it from GoT - (NCW as Jaime? Ewww - not pretty enough, his nose is wrong!) but I hope people aren't going to get upset if Sheriam doesn't have red hair, for instance.

(and I pronounced Siuan like you do, too)

Funny how the only plot relevant look is for the most ridiculous one. Pale, gingers, or blonds living in the desert? Haha

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, Risto said:

The only thing I care about her is seeing Cadsuane having her way with her. It was one of the most memorable moments in the books for me. 

I know you posted this a long time ago, but that was awesome. Cadsuane really earned her reputation in the way she handled Semirrage..

On 9/8/2018 at 6:39 PM, Shaun Snow said:

Lol. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how much of the spanking and threats of spanking they'll keep in the show. I smell future memes.

Oh, lord. Other than the Cadsuane and Semirrage scene, I hope none! I thought those were some of the most ridiculous scenes in the books!

5 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I know you posted this a long time ago, but that was awesome. Cadsuane really in her reputation in the way she handled Cadsuane.

Oh, lord. Other than the Cadsuane and Semirrage scene, I hope none! I those were some of the most ridiculous scenes in the books!

What, you mean we're not going to get Mat putting a grown woman over his knee and smacking that bottom like Bob Ross beating his brushes. :P

On 3/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, Joey Crows said:

Funny how the only plot relevant look is for the most ridiculous one. Pale, gingers, or blonds living in the desert? Haha

The Aeil are naturally pale, but are tanned from living in the dessert. Heck, I'm pasty white German descent but when I used to spend a lot of time in the sun even I got quite tan.

I would like them to stay as true to book appearance as possible for the main characters. It's just a thing with me. It's not like they don't have the use of wigs and contact lenses. Like Lan & Rand must both be tall and broad. Lan is supposed to be an imposing figure. As far as his face goes, the closest I can come is Liam Neesom.

I also hope that they keep the significant cultural appearances from the book as is much possible without sacrificing quality acting. RJ put a great deal of effort into his world building and I would not like to see it cast aside.

I have only made it halfway through this particular thread, so this may have already been suggested, but what about Native American looking people to play the Two Rivers folk. Dark hair, dark eyes, darker skin, and they are descendants of old Manetheren, a strong, proud people.

I want all of the main characters kept in. If they cut any of the five Edmond Fielders, Aviendha or Elayne, I will not watch it because it just won't be the Wheel of Time without them. Some of their story arcs need to be altered for sure, but not cut. For instance if we lose Perrin we lose a main character who can talk to wolves, his internal struggle with that, and the hate and prejudice he faces because of it, as well as the struggle a humble man has with having leadership thrust upon him. Mat is the happy, go lucky, trickster, who insists he is not a hero but is always there to rescue someone when he is needed (and he rescues Moiraine). He also becomes a military genius because of the memories the Aelfinn/Eelfinn instilled in him and he also becomes a reluctant leader. I won't go into more than that, but suffice it to say that the each of the main characters is unique and diverse, and without them we would lose a great deal of interesting dynamics and character development, (not to mention comedic relief).

People are so focused on ethnic diversity but many are willing to forgo character diversity.

In fact the more I think about what makes TWoT such an oustanding story to me (slog books notwithstanding), the more I doubt they will be able to make the show to my satisfaction. But I so want it to be good!

On 1/26/2019 at 11:23 AM, Astromech said:

Now the countryside around Prague would work quite well for the Two Rivers.

I've always pictured Caemlyn as more of an English city with the palace similar to Windsor Castle.  I always associated Andor with England and Cairhien with France.

I agree, the politics in Caemlyn and Cairhein (and the fashion of Cairhein) make me think of England and France, respectively.

I've always thought of the Two Rivers looking like Bavaria, and I haven't seen anything that looks like my image of Caemlyn, but this is kind of close. https://cdn.theculturetrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hungary.jpg

Maybe Prague offers financial incentives to get all those shows filmed there.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:54 AM, Gertrude said:

Aha. I'm going to Prague in the spring. Now I'll be keeping my eyes out for picturesque streets. The typical Baroque architecture is not what I was picturing either, but I'm beginning to see it. The Astronomical Clock might be a nice cameo to show it's a slightly more modernized setting than typical fantasy - if they don't decide it's too recognizable.

It does look like something you might imagine from the age of legends. Whether it's recognizable depends largely on the age demographic of the audience, I think.

It is April 24. Have you gone already? I'm so jealous!

On 2/20/2019 at 7:24 PM, Risto said:

Given that everything these days HAS TO be about social justice, I can only imagine what the marketing for this is going to look like :D

Everything has to be PC and I am soooooo over it. Why does there have to be "pillow friends out the wazoo"? How does that make the story better?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, karaddin said:

Yeah because Jordan wasn't trying to explore gender and related politics with his choice to structure the society in the books in this way :rolleyes:

There's a difference between exploring it and exploiting it. But that's marketing for you.

Archived