WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

On 4/28/2019 at 4:43 AM, SansaJonRule said:

.I think Nyaneave is bossier than Elyane.

Way more, it's not even close. It's kind of hilarious that the heir to the throne of one of the most powerful countries is one of the less bossy female characters in the series (the random cooks or innkeepers we see as minor characters tend to be more bossy). She is also downright implausibly not spoiled or snobbish given her background. She is a great cook (way better than Nynaeve), she knows how to sew way better than Nynaeve or Egwene, she never complains about having to travel around the world without servants and having to share beds in crowded inns, all of her friends are commoners, etc. But most readers ignore this because Mat grumbled about her a few times mostly due to his prejudice against nobles/

Less bossy than Nynaeve is sort of like saying less wet than the ocean, it must be said. But yes, Elayne is surprisingly (and perhaps unrealistically) quick to adapt to less august circumstances.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:07 AM, David Selig said:

She is also downright implausibly not spoiled or snobbish given her background. She is a great cook (way better than Nynaeve), she knows how to sew way better than Nynaeve or Egwene, she never complains about having to travel around the world without servants and having to share beds in crowded inns, all of her friends are commoners, etc.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Less bossy than Nynaeve is sort of like saying less wet than the ocean, it must be said. But yes, Elayne is surprisingly (and perhaps unrealistically) quick to adapt to less august circumstances.

It might be partially due to the fact Elayne had to spend time as a novice, albeit not much. That should be enough to humble the haughtiest person a least a little bit. But I also got the impression her mother brought her up--to view being daughter-heir and queen as a duty and responsibility more than a privilege.

Elayne's friends are commoners though because that's who she's been thrown in with. Before whe went to the White Tower, I suspect her friends (if she really had any) were children of other nobles.

I found it hilarious that Elayne was a good cook and Nyaneave wasn't, just because Nyaneave had such a high opinion of herself.

11 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

But I also got the impression her mother brought her up--to view being daughter-heir and queen as a duty and responsibility more than a privilege.

Yeah, that definitely seems to be Andor's way, or at least House Trakand's. Very much "Noblesse Oblige" in the positive sense. Also Lini, who probably did most of the actual raising of Elayne since Morgase was so busy, was quite strict to her.

12 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I found it hilarious that Elayne was a good cook and Nyaneave wasn't, just because Nyaneave had such a high opinion of herself. 

Jordan loved inserting such amusing small details. At one point Nynaeve mused how every time she cooked while they were with the circus Thom and Juilin "for some reason" found an excuse to eat somewhere else while they couldn't get enough of what Elayne cooked.

12 hours ago, David Selig said:

Jordan loved inserting such amusing small details. At one point Nynaeve mused how every time she cooked while they were with the circus Thom and Juilin "for some reason" found an excuse to eat somewhere else while they couldn't get enough of what Elayne cooked.

Yes, I remember that part well. Elayne also amuses me with her fascination with curse words, and her childishness sometimes when she's pregnant.

I am on my second reread (EotW), and I am amazed how I am just as enthralled with it as I was the very first time.

Question: When Rand faced the three Whitecloaks in Baerlon, and he felt all tingly and brazen, did he touch the One Power for the first time?

7 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I am on my second reread (EotW), and I am amazed how I am just as enthralled with it as I was the very first time.

Question: When Rand faced the three Whitecloaks in Baerlon, and he felt all tingly and brazen, did he touch the One Power for the first time?

Was that the encounter after he healed Bela? If so, I think so. There was another time when he blasted that darkfriend and blinded Mat. That was later, though, wasn't it? I seem to remember Rand being able to sense Moiraine's channeling when they first meet. At least there were hints like Rand getting goosebumps when Moiraine channeled.

8 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Well, healing Bela seems to be considered the first one, although as @Astromech said, Rand did sense Moiraine's channeling.

God, I just realized I need to learn how all those names are written in English :D

15 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

That was the second time.

And Lini is the reason Elayne is so humble. And it also looks like her mom was very very sparing with compliments, as was her pseudo-dad Gareth Bryne.

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

That was the second time.

And Lini is the reason Elayne is so humble. And it also looks like her mom was very very sparing with compliments, as was her pseudo-dad Gareth Bryne.

Sanderson probably noticed this and felt bad for her, so he made sure that Elayne was showered with compliments in his books.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:59 AM, Astromech said:

Was that the encounter after he healed Bela? If so, I think so. There was another time when he blasted that darkfriend and blinded Mat. That was later, though, wasn't it? I seem to remember Rand being able to sense Moiraine's channeling when they first meet. At least there were hints like Rand getting goosebumps when Moiraine channeled.

I have since read Moiraine's explanation to Nyaneave about the effects of a person's first channeling, so his encounter with the Whitecloaks in Baerlon must have been his reaction to his first channeling, which would have been taking away Bela's fatigue. And I just remembered when that happened! Moiriane was taking all the horses fatigue away and when she got to Bela she noted that Bela didn't need it.

Then when Rand was up on the mast on the Spray, he must have been having another reaction. When did he channel that time? Could it have been making that boom swing around and knock that Trolloc into the water, saving Rand's life?

On 5/4/2019 at 5:49 PM, David Selig said:

Lini, of course, how could I forget her? She was Morgase's nurse too, so Elayne would have felt Lini's influence indirectly through her mother as well.

11 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I have since read Moiraine's explanation to Nyaneave about the effects of a person's first channeling, so his encounter with the Whitecloaks in Baerlon must have been his reaction to his first channeling, which would have been taking away Bela's fatigue. And I just remembered when that happened! Moiriane was taking all the horses fatigue away and when she got to Bela she noted that Bela didn't need it.

Then when Rand was up on the mast on the Spray, he must have been having another reaction. When did he channel that time? Could it have been making that boom swing around and knock that Trolloc into the water, saving Rand's life?

As if Bela need healing. :) 

I don't remember that part. I remember Bayle Domon and the Spray, but not the exact part you are referring to. When Thom, Rand and Mat were fleeing Trollocs? It's tough to say if it's actually channeling since weird things happen around ta'veren. If he got sick afterwards, I would assume it was channeling.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

As if Bela need healing. :) 

I don't remember that part. I remember Bayle Domon and the Spray, but not the exact part you are referring to. When Thom, Rand and Mat were fleeing Trollocs? It's tough to say if it's actually channeling since weird things happen around ta'veren. If he got sick afterwards, I would assume it was channeling.

yeah, super mare Bela!

When the three of them first jumped aboard the Spray in chapter 20, 'Dust in the Wind'. Thom, Rand and Mat had just jumped onto the Spray with trollocs in pursuit. One was about to stab Rand with the splintered end of a catch pole, and "Suddenly the ship lurched, and a boom swung out of the shadows to catch the trolloc across the chest with a crunch of breaking bones, sweeping it over the side."

The sailor on watch swore he secured the boom when Captain Domon confronted him, but what really got me was that Domon was able to stop that same boom with his hand when it swung around again. I would chalk it up to his taveren nature if it wasn't for his completely irrational behavior up on the top of the mast a few days later. (Ch24, Flight Down the Arinelle)  He spread out his arms and legs and just balanced himself, feeling the same exhiliration he felt facing the Whitecloaks. Then when he got down, it suddenly hit him what he had done, just like with the Whitecloaks.

I think he finally felt sick after the third time he channeled, which I think was when he and Mat were at an inn and a darkfriend was after them. There was no way out of the storeroom they were inn. Rand is fervently wishing for a way out and suddenly a lightning strike blows a hole in the wall. Two days later Rand starts having fever, chills and weakness, suddenly, out of the blue and it lasts less than 24 hours. Again, could be his taveren nature, but with the sickness being just like Moiraine and Nyaneave described it, I am inclined to think he unknowingly channeled again. Apparently the reactions for men are a little different than for women.

That's my take on it anyway.

I remember him scorching the darkfriend and blinding Mat. Perhaps it just never dawned on me the first time I read the Spray incident that Rand could have channeled. 

But Bayle Domon was kind of a badass. Not Egeanin level of badass, but still.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:10 PM, Inkdaub said:

Domon was a properly set up sort of man as I recall.

I'm in the middle of a slow reread and this thread is reminding me to get into it again.

Domon was indeed. Great secondary character.

Quick re-read advice; I've honestly always thought you could skip the first 30 pages or so of every book from 2-12 when re-reading. Jordan loved to describe characters and allude to previous events for long stretches at the beginning of each novel. Possibly useful if you had to wait months or years between each book, but a little annoying when reading them one after the other. I've never actually skipped any pages, but I've definitely skimmed through some of those pages. Haha

On 5/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, Astromech said:

I remember him scorching the darkfriend and blinding Mat. Perhaps it just never dawned on me the first time I read the Spray incident that Rand could have channeled. 

But Bayle Domon was kind of a badass. Not Egeanin level of badass, but still.

That was the third time.

They were quite a couple, weren't they?

19 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Quick re-read advice; I've honestly always thought you could skip the first 30 pages or so of every book from 2-12 when re-reading. Jordan loved to describe characters and allude to previous events for long stretches at the beginning of each novel. Possibly useful if you had to wait months or years between each book, but a little annoying when reading them one after the other. I've never actually skipped any pages, but I've definitely skimmed through some of those pages. Haha

I'm a skimmer when I get to those parts. Sometimes when I get to a chapter that I remember I didn't particularly enjoy I'll go read the summary for that chapter from Leigh Butler's re-read on tor.com

19 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Then you'd miss the wind blowing though.

Archived