WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Arya's stuff in season 6 is another example. But I don't want to turn this into a GoT discussion, as Myrddin said.

Other stuff I'm wondering how they'll portray in the show: of course, how channeling works, but even more importantly, how channeling makes the characters feel. How will we see Rand's reactions to the taint of saidin? Or the pleasure Egwene, Elayne and the others feel when being filled with the Power? 

Channeling I think would be easy with today's CGI. Ribbons of light (different color for each aspect of the power) actually weaving into different patterns and a glowing nimbus around whoever is channeling so we know who it is.

I would imagine facial expressions and seeing and hearing through their eyes could relay their feelings when filled with the power, but there is also dialogue in the books that touches on how it feels, perhaps they can expand on that.

15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wolf Talking too.

That I think will be more difficult than channeling. But sooooo cool.

13 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Channeling I think would be easy with today's CGI. Ribbons of light (different color for each aspect of the power) actually weaving into different patterns and a glowing nimbus around whoever is channeling so we know who it is.

I would imagine facial expressions and seeing and hearing through their eyes could relay their feelings when filled with the power, but there is also dialogue in the books that touches on how it feels, perhaps they can expand on that.

Yes like Doctor Strange, or this from a webcomic I read.

• 4 weeks later...

So, apparently, there is a tweet saying that Rosamund Pike is in negotiations for one of the lead characters. Most assume Moiraine. It could be Nynaeve, though.

30 minutes ago, Risto said:

So, apparently, there is a tweet saying that Rosamund Pike is in negotiations for one of the lead characters. Most assume Moiraine. It could be Nynaeve, though.

I was gonna say Queen Morgase maybe. But I'm not sure if she counts as a lead character. Though her role does grow in the later books.

3 hours ago, Risto said:

Too old for Nynaeve. I could see her as Moiraine.

There are plenty of female characters in the book. Obviously, the show will have to pick some and leave others out. Hard to tell how large the main cast will be. Moirane is obvioulsy a candidate, but she is out for half the series. What about Amys, Elaida, or one of the Forsaken? Siuan Sanche?

The biggest name actor hired for GoT didn’t even last a full season.  Moiraine disappearing for a couple seasons late in the show’s run wouldn’t be a deal killer.

Besides... the books where she is gone are the ones most likely to be drastically trimmed for TV.

Could be Lanfear.  Important, but occasional guest role.  I agree Moiraine is most likely though.  I immediately wanted this rumour to be true, but now thinking of her as Lanfear...  that would be delicious.

I had a thought on the "ageless" look.  If they could use the same technique used on Fury in Captain Marvel to de-age an older actress, they could alternate frames of slightly de-aged and current age appearance in certain scenes to give a subtle hint of it for emphasis, so you can not quite tell what age you're looking at.  Not every scene is necessary though.  Could even age the actress a bit when drained and tired from One Power use.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Could be Lanfear.  Important, but occasional guest role.  I agree Moiraine is most likely though.  I immediately wanted this rumour to be true, but now thinking of her as Lanfear...  that would be delicious.

I had a thought on the "ageless" look.  If they could use the same technique used on Fury in Captain Marvel to de-age an older actress, they could alternate frames of slightly de-aged and current age appearance in certain scenes to give a subtle hint of it for emphasis, so you can not quite tell what age you're looking at.  Not every scene is necessary though.  Could even age the actress a bit when drained and tired from One Power use.

At the risk of sounding superficial, I would like Lanfear to be played by a woman that can stun with her looks. I don't see Pike in that role. Preferably get a raven-haired woman. Back in the day, like 10 years ago, I was envisioning Catherine Zeta-Jones.

For the ageless look, they can just use DNR on the shots with the actresses in. DNR, if you turn it up, has a weird smoothing affect on people's faces by removing wrinkles and hairs and so on, it causes a little bit of an uncanny valley impact.

12 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I was gonna say Queen Morgase maybe. But I'm not sure if she counts as a lead character. Though her role does grow in the later books.

Morgase is also a good guess.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Too old for Nynaeve. I could see her as Moiraine.

IDK. I guess the actors will be older than characters. Nynaeve could be played by someone at the age of 30. I wasn't aware Pike was almost 40 when I suggested her for Nynaeve.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Honestly, I am not sure how they will pull that off. I would just leave them as they are. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

IDK. I guess the actors will be older than characters. Nynaeve could be played by someone at the age of 30. I wasn't aware Pike was almost 40 when I suggested her for Nynaeve.

It's that agelessness of channelers :)

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

The biggest name actor hired for GoT didn’t even last a full season.  Moiraine disappearing for a couple seasons late in the show’s run wouldn’t be a deal killer.

Besides... the books where she is gone are the ones most likely to be drastically trimmed for TV.

Going with the GoT example it's important for a big name or two to be prominent in Season 1 to draw in the casual audience. As Moiraine is more or less the lead character for book 1 / season 1 it makes sens that if Pike is the biggest name to be cast for season 1 that she would be Moiraine.

She might disappear in later books, but that doesn't mean she must disappear in the corresponding season. Though part of the allure for picking up a part in a series that could run for a decade might be that she could get an entire season off part way through.

Archived