WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, Risto said:

This is what I said couple of days ago to one of my friends. She would be perfect. 

Although I always imagine Verin much older. I was proposing Penelope Wilton when reminded me of Verin's age. 

Verin is "ageless", though. 

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Verin is "ageless", though. 

I'm wondering if they actually do this on the show, either with a lot of makeup or some kind of DNR visual effect, or they decided it's the Targaryen purple eyes all over again and it's a minor detail that really doesn't matter to the casual viewer.

Unlike the Targaryen's eye color, though, the Ageless look aftects the story. Not in a make or break way, but it matters quite a bit. It's sets the Aes Sedai apart from other channelers, and underpins some major moments, like Rand's kidnapping. I think a high NR like look wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't really think they'll go the route of CGI on all the Aes Sedai to try and achieve something like it, but that said, an obvious route is casting within a certain range of ages for them.

You don't need to use CGI as such, you can just apply a DNR filter algorithm, like the one they tried to use on Buffy's HD version and made the Master look like he had a smooth ping pong ball for a head.

If you used that deliberately, that could work a bitter more effectively than hand-animating every frame of the series with an Aes Sedai in it, which would be both impractical and expensive.

You still need people to apply masks so that the DNR filter gets only what you want. They wont' necessarily have to do it frame by frame, because the tech is fairly good these days about recognizing a face as a face and sticking to it, but still, it means having bodies working on this (either actively, telling the software what to reduce noise on, or passively, checking the results) for every scene in which Aes Sedai are present. It seems improbable to me that they'll go that far. Feels like makeup with heavy foundation to give that smooth, pore-less look and contrasting that with everyone else less made up seems more practical. Don't want to end up in a situation ala The Tick, committing to massive amounts of VFX work (and this _would_ be VFX work) when considered use of practical solutions are available.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You don't need to use CGI as such, you can just apply a DNR filter algorithm, like the one they tried to use on Buffy's HD version and made the Master look like he had a smooth ping pong ball for a head.

If you used that deliberately, that could work a bitter more effectively than hand-animating every frame of the series with an Aes Sedai in it, which would be both impractical and expensive.

Just use any one of the Kardashians, the current day female cast of Friends, or pretty much any major actress in her forties or early 50’s to get the perfect “ageless face” look.

I always imagined the ageless face of an Aes Sedai to be Jordan’s private joke about plastic surgery. Just imagine a heavily Botoxed face, and you’ve nailed it.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I'm wondering if they actually do this on the show, either with a lot of makeup or some kind of DNR visual effect, or they decided it's the Targaryen purple eyes all over again and it's a minor detail that really doesn't matter to the casual viewer.

It would be nice if the story gives us the detail that to knowing eyes an Aes Sedai is recognizable. Thom Merillin could serve as the character that provides that kind of knowledge for the audience.

4 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Unlike the Targaryen's eye color, though, the Ageless look aftects the story. Not in a make or break way, but it matters quite a bit. It's sets the Aes Sedai apart from other channelers, and underpins some major moments, like Rand's kidnapping. I think a high NR like look wouldn't be a bad idea.

I quite agree. It is a defining feature of women after having worked with the Power for years. You said it sets Aes Sedai apart from other women who can channel, yet it is noted about other channelers. Remember the Wise One Amys? She has white hair but her cheeks are smooth. And once Elyane realized the Windfinder could channel, she realized she should have known by her face. The Kin are not Aes Sedai, but their faces don't age either.

3 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

I quite agree. It is a defining feature of women after having worked with the Power for years. You said it sets Aes Sedai apart from other women who can channel, yet it is noted about other channelers. Remember the Wise One Amys? She has white hair but her cheeks are smooth. And once Elyane realized the Windfinder could channel, she realized she should have known by her face. The Kin are not Aes Sedai, but their faces don't age either.

Wrong. Channelers age more slowly than others do, but the ageless look is only for people who have been bound by an oath rod. It also shortens the channeler’s life. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It would be nice if the story gives us the detail that to knowing eyes an Aes Sedai is recognizable. Thom Merillin could serve as the character that provides that kind of knowledge for the audience.

That could work very well. When he's telling the Emond's Field boys to steer clear of Aes Sedai, they could say something to the effect that they won't even necessarily know a woman is Aes Sedai. In typical Thom fashion he would ask them, "how old would you say Moiraine is?"...

24 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Wrong. Channelers age more slowly than others do, but the ageless look is only for people who have been bound by an oath rod. It also shortens the channeler’s life. 

Oh, okay, I didn't remember that. I'm only on TSR in my reread. It's starting to come back to me though. That's why the Kin are SOOOOOO old.

So does anyone know why I can't use the edit function to quote on an additional comment? I could swear I've done that many times, but now it doesn't seem to be working.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

So does anyone know why I can't use the edit function to quote on an additional comment? I could swear I've done that many times, but now it doesn't seem to be working. 

Press the "+"  on each comment you want to quote.

I hate casting that gets hung up on “most beautiful evahhhh!” because its incredibly stupid given how subjective attractiveness is. I would much rather have someone with good acting ability than someone generally considered stunning that can’t act for shit.

does Megan Fox have any roles i may have missed that showcase her ability to act well?

edit: @SpaceChampion im just reading back and for some reason your comment of Emma Stone made me think of Sharon Stone instead which led to some hilarious basic instinct parodies in my head

Archived