Characters we will never see again

wolfsbae

It's no secret that D&D can, at times, leave a lot to be desired.

There isn't a lot of time left, so some loose ends are bound to remain untied. What plots do you think will never get resolved? Which characters do you think we will never see again, and without any real explanation?

I have a few predictions:

• Dorne won't ever be mentioned again, not even when it comes to deciding if or how to divide up the Seven Kingdoms 
  • We won't see Daario Naharis again 
  • We probably won't see Jaqen H'gar again, unless he comes to collect the debt owed by Arya for stealing from the Many-Faced God, and that is how she dies. However, I don't think that will be her way out, so it's unlikely we will see him again. Or Bravos
  • We won't see Meera Reed again, which would be a disservice to her character and sacrifice. I was never much of a fan of her character, but the way they wrote her out was disappointing 
  • We won't ever truly find out who was behind the Sons of the Harpy 

Any more?

Hey @wolfsbae, I agree with everyone you mentioned besides Meera - I do believe we will see her again.  I'd actually prefer if we don't see Daario, Jaquen, or anyone from Dorne.  I read somewhere that Tycho Nestoris is not returning on the show next season, which seems like not too big of a deal but it would have been nice to know if the Iron Bank was involved at all in any deception with the Golden Company that will surely help hasten Cersei's downfall.  I don't think we will see Kinvara or know whatever it was that spoke to Varys from the flames when he was cut, which would probably be so far removed from what actually would have happened in the books that it isn't worth being too upset about.

19 hours ago, wolfsbae said:

Which characters do you think we will never see again, and without any real explanation?

I agree, but see it a bit more positive than you. Side-stories are just that:They give environment and context, but we follow the main charcters and main storyline. That's the way it is supposed to be.

The story of Daario is told, Dorne will not be important, most probably. Jaqen's story might be told, too, and I hope so. The final season will focus on Westeros and that is OK.

Meera's end was a little but unspectacular, but it fits and even emphasise her secondary role. Bran's simple thanks were telling. There is not much left of the original Bran anymore.

15 hours ago, SecretWeapon said:

Actually i think we're seeing Jaquen. The rest...yeah not happening

I think you might be right. In what context do you think we'll see him? To collect the debt? I can't see him getting involved in the cause.

5 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I agree, but see it a bit more positive than you. Side-stories are just that:They give environment and context, but we follow the main charcters and main storyline. That's the way it is supposed to be.

The story of Daario is told, Dorne will not be important, most probably. Jaqen's story might be told, too, and I hope so. The final season will focus on Westeros and that is OK.

Meera's end was a little but unspectacular, but it fits and even emphasise her secondary role. Bran's simple thanks were telling. There is not much left of the original Bran anymore.

Yeah, I agree with that. It's true that not every plot needs to be tied with a neat bow on top.

In direct contradiction with my original post (don't mind me, I am forever changing my mind about everything), I don't think Jaqen's story is told after all. This means we probably will see him again; Arya has promised Death more faces than she can deliver. It would undermine that whole plot and the premise of the Many-Faced God if that was simply forgotten. I guess I just never liked the Bravos storyline so it was wishful thinking on my part that it would simply all go away.

And, poor Meera. She deserved better. 

13 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Didn’t they determine it was in fact just a coalition of scorned masters from all around Essos?  

Ah, you're right, I do remember it was heavily presumed to be the slave masters. It's been a while, but I think it's in the books that it's still unknown.

6 hours ago, Kajjo said:

This is probably the best way to look at it. Daario did his part and honestly, his send off was fine in whatever season it was that he was left behind (it all blurs together at this point).

Jaqen was mainly to introduce Arya to the faceless men and get her to Braavos. His job to me always seemed kinda done. I get he would want revenge for her stealing faces and what not, but that is so secondary right now that it's not a big deal.

Meera's end, if that is it, made sense. I still hope to see more of her.

I personally want to see more of Quaithe, as I mentioned before, but there really is no NEED for her.

To be real, all the main characters are what people generally care about. The rest just pushed them along their journey. Makes for more streamlined TV (not that it's a bad thing, just what it is).

16 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Jaqen was mainly to introduce Arya to the faceless men and get her to Braavos. His job to me always seemed kinda done. I get he would want revenge for her stealing faces and what not, but that is so secondary right now that it's not a big deal.

I wonder why Jaqen smiled when Arya left Braavos , it looked like he was happy with Arya's decision. I'd like to get a explanation for that.

Maybe he wants Arya take his place? And as a final test Arya must defeat him idk. Anyway , I hope we see him again. 

9 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I wonder why Jaqen smiled when Arya left Braavos , it looked like he was happy with Arya's decision. I'd like to get a explanation for that.

Yes, he smiled and let her off the hook. For whatever reasons. I hope we get an explanation for that. However, maybe he just respected her for not being broken, for having accomplished the education anyway. Arya did not really betray him. She placed the face of the girl on the wall. But maybe we see him again after all.

17 hours ago, wolfsbae said:

Arya has promised Death more faces than she can deliver. It would undermine that whole plot and the premise of the Many-Faced God if that was simply forgotten.

Can you elaborate on this, please? Where did she promised more than she delivered? She was punished for taking Meryn Trant, so this is probably dealt with. Arya has a list of victims and killed  alot of Freys. Do they count in favor of her? Who knows how this death thing works. Jaqen obivously killed any three other (and more at the escape) to make up for Arya freeing the three of them from the cage. There seems to be some space to negotiate...

The Faceless men are a killer-cult.

Ja'qen let Arya of the hook because he knew she would offer many names to the Many-Faced God if he let her leave, and he was right.
If he had tried to stop her then and there, she would either die (leading to the MFG loosing out on plenty of future sacrifices) or he would die (again, leading to the MFG loosing out on future sacrifices.)

There was no real reason for him to stop her, from his own point of view. He's no one, and her potential slights against his temple weighs little compared to her future sacrifices to his god, and she had put the Waifs face on the wall before leaving.  Arya may be a rogue Faceless Man, but she's still a Faceless Man, and every kill she's made in the last couple of seasons is a sacrifice to the MFG, at least in Ja'qens mind.

Edit: So with that in mind, I highly doubt we'll see Ja'qen in the last season.

Possibly warden of the Riverlands if the show decides to go down that route in the next season. 

Or he might be killed off in some strange fashion, which would would make the Tullys join the Tyrells and Martells in extinction -> another broken spoke on the wheel.

As for his alleged son with Roslin Frey, he might be forgotten (by D&D) or killed of at the same time. Not sure by whom though, as we know nothing of the Freys or their allegiances since Arya killed most of the adult men. The White Walkers perhaps?

Perhaps Jamie will meet up with Edmure and the remaining Tully/Frey forces on his way north. Wouldn't that be a hilarious reunion considering their last one in S6.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:58 AM, wolfsbae said:

It's no secret that D&D can, at times, leave a lot to be desired.

There isn't a lot of time left, so some loose ends are bound to remain untied. What plots do you think will never get resolved? Which characters do you think we will never see again, and without any real explanation?

• Dorne won't ever be mentioned again, not even when it comes to deciding if or how to divide up the Seven Kingdoms 
  • We won't see Daario Naharis again 
  • We probably won't see Jaqen H'gar again, unless he comes to collect the debt owed by Arya for stealing from the Many-Faced God, and that is how she dies. However, I don't think that will be her way out, so it's unlikely we will see him again. Or Bravos
  • We won't see Meera Reed again, which would be a disservice to her character and sacrifice. I was never much of a fan of her character, but the way they wrote her out was disappointing 
  • We won't ever truly find out who was behind the Sons of the Harpy 

Any more?

The dorne plot is likely done (with any luck! It was terrible)

Daario and the free cities may make a comeback with Euron, probably against Dany. We may find out about sons of the harpy.

Jaqen is probably not coming back.

Meera may have a role in fighting the NK and the AoD.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, MinscS2 said:

Ja'qen let Arya of the hook because he knew she would offer many names to the Many-Faced God if he let her leave, and he was right.

I like that perspective and can see the potential validity.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, MinscS2 said:

So with that in mind, I highly doubt we'll see Ja'qen in the last season.

I agree. We have so many important threads of the storyline and Arya's potential problems with the many-faced God appear not to be one of them.

11 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

Nymeria, Ghost

Yes, the dire wolves would have been a popular thing to do in season 7 and many hope to see them again in season 8. That would fit and I would like to seem them again, too. We'll have to wait whether this comes true. For some reason, DD decided for a lot of dragon scenes and no more wolves.

4 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Meera may have a role in fighting the NK and the AoD.

Yeah, or Meera's thread was finished. I am fine with that, too. It was a side-role after all.

Archived