The third twist

LordImp

One more thing in line with my prior post. I know some  people have felt that the Daenerys getting pregnant story line does not seem to make a lot of sense and have not been able to identify a satisfying story line rationale for it. This theory at least could provide one. I guess you could say the NK could just kill Daenerys, turn her into a wight, and then marry her. But perhaps the NK needs a "pure-blooded" White Walker bride, and to get that he needs a live child. Perhaps the Night Queen also needs to be an Other in order to produce children. I know, pure speculation, but that's what is fun about all this.

3 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

The Night’s King of lore and the Night King in the series are two different entities. The legendary Night’s King lived during the Age of Heroes, was the 13th Commander of the Night’s Watch, was human, took an Other as his wife, performed human sacrifices to the White Walkers, and may or may not have been a Stark. He was overthrown and killed by the King of the North (and his allies) at the time. The Night King is a construct of the GOT series and does not even exist in the Books. He is identified in the series as the first White Walker and most assuredly was a Stark.

It is likely that the series has been using the history of the original Night’s King and adapted some components of it to suit the storyline they have written for the Night King in GOT series. Perhaps we will find out that the Night King reason for invading is to obtain a Night Queen and perhaps this female must be a child of the Targaryen Line for some reason.  Craster, who was sacrificing his sons to be turned into White Walkers, was of Targaryen lineage (The Three-Eyed Raven [before Bran] may also have been as well). The Night King is also a Greenseer and may have foreseen that Daenerys will become pregnant and have a daughter (or twins with one boy and one girl). And he wants this baby so he can turn it into a White Walker to become the Night Queen. This theory has been around for a while so I don’t take credit for it. It may be a little too complicated to fit into the series however. But who knows for sure. We shall see.

This is interesting. I keep forgetting that the others are different in the books compared to white walkers. I wonder if the book explanation will be different than the shows?

My guess for the third twist is maybe a bit book heavy. It is connected to "the Stark that knelt". Assumption is that the Night King is an ancient Stark and Daenerys cannot defeat him. She has to kneel before him and give the North the independence back. Then the Night King retreats.

I don't have a fully-baked guess but why do we know that Mel is an ancient woman on the show?  To my recollection, we have been give no reason or link to any other storyline.  Maybe Mel is the first 'other' wife of the Stark 13th lord commander.  Somehow with the help of the God of Fire, Mel turned from other (ice) to fire.  

Weak I know, but I cannot find a reason to know Mel is a very old woman, except for unknown, un-named magic. 

29 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

why do we know that Mel is an ancient woman on the show? [...] is a very old woman, except for unknown, un-named magic

Well, first of all this establishes there is really magic, she is really some sort of priestess of the God of Light. This makes the resurrection much more convincing. 

31 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Mel turned from other (ice) to fire.  

Extremely unlikely from my perspective.

22 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

The Night’s King of lore and the Night King in the series are two different entities. The legendary Night’s King lived during the Age of Heroes, was the 13th Commander of the Night’s Watch, was human, took an Other as his wife, performed human sacrifices to the White Walkers, and may or may not have been a Stark. He was overthrown and killed by the King of the North (and his allies) at the time. The Night King is a construct of the GOT series and does not even exist in the Books. He is identified in the series as the first White Walker and most assuredly was a Stark.

It is likely that the series has been using the history of the original Night’s King and adapted some components of it to suit the storyline they have written for the Night King in GOT series. Perhaps we will find out that the Night King reason for invading is to obtain a Night Queen and perhaps this female must be a child of the Targaryen Line for some reason.  Craster, who was sacrificing his sons to be turned into White Walkers, was of Targaryen lineage (The Three-Eyed Raven [before Bran] may also have been as well). The Night King is also a Greenseer and may have foreseen that Daenerys will become pregnant and have a daughter (or twins with one boy and one girl). And he wants this baby so he can turn it into a White Walker to become the Night Queen. This theory has been around for a while so I don’t take credit for it. It may be a little too complicated to fit into the series however. But who knows for sure. We shall see.

While some of that makes sense to me, I think there might be a little twist in that The Night King has 'seen' the children of Dany and Jon and wants to stop that from happening. 'A song of Ice and Fire' seems to me to indicate that these two elements will combine and it will be a positive thing (for humanity) but I can imagine the Night King might want to put a stop to it.

18 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Well, first of all this establishes there is really magic, she is really some sort of priestess of the God of Light. This makes the resurrection much more convincing. 

Extremely unlikely from my perspective.

We already knew about the Brotherhood without banners so we already know magic exists.  We have Stark kids who can warg.  We have seen magic.  I would have believed Jon's resurrection without knowing Mel was very old.  My case is weak, I agree, but it bothers me that I cannot find any logical link for why Mel is so very old, under her daily face.

4 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

but it bothers me that I cannot find any logical link for why Mel is so very old, under her daily face.

I see your point, but it doesn't bothers me. There is more to Melisandre than on the first glance. That's for sure and that's what the scene was supposed to show, I believe. Further, it shows that you cannot trust Melisandre and that even Stannis did not know her well enough.

Could be something as simple as A+J=T (ugh, I hope not) and Tyrion riding a dragon into battle.  But like others mentioned, I prefer to think it has something to do with the motives of the white walkers being revealed, and their motives not being entirely evil.

If there is any pattern to the '3 twists, we know a few things:

a. twist characters are not main characters, they tend to be outer circle but characters the readers care about

b. all twist characters have directly served or been related to a main character

c. so far, both twist characters had child or child-like status

d. so far, female, then male.  If there is a pattern, the next twist would be a female char or an unsexed char (WW)

e. so far, houses involved are Baratheon (Shireen) and Stark (Hodor).  Targaryen or Lannister is a likely next guess.  

????

A popular theory lately is that Cersei's baby lives and that the baby is a dwarf . If this comes true I suppose it could be the twist. Though I'm still thinking the twist is something with white walkers. 

On 8/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Could be something as simple as A+J=T (ugh, I hope not) and Tyrion riding a dragon into battle.  But like others mentioned, I prefer to think it has something to do with the motives of the white walkers being revealed, and their motives not being entirely evil.

No. Up until now the two twists have been 

- Shereen 

- Hodor

So side characters and shoking moments. Whatever the twist will be, we can expect something horrible and completely unpredictable. Or how many people have predicted the Hodor revelation? I have never read that theory before. Also Benioff and Weis have already stated that it is something that shoked them, in a bad way. A+J=T or Tyrion riding a Dragon are neither unpredictable nor shoking nor bad. The motives of the white walkers are allready shown. They are created by the children of the forest to destroy humanity, which they are doing. A very bad and overused storytelling, but it is what it is and GRRM has chosen this path. And also not very shoking. I have no Idea what the twist might be. It might be about Jon and Danny. Maybe one must kill the other or something in that direction. Or Bran. He may be the catalizator for the whole story, e.g. "time traveling Bran caused that all" (also very bad storytelling). Who knows...

15 hours ago, SirArthur said:

Did he now ? This is not in the books so :dunno:

Nothing is in the books. They have to be written yet. But I am sure you know that. And I am not gonna start THAT discussion here. Take it as you want. In the Show atleast that is the origin story of the White Walkers. 

9 minutes ago, T and A said:

Nothing is in the books. They have to be written yet. But I am sure you know that. And I am not gonna start THAT discussion here. Take it as you want. In the Show atleast that is the origin story of the White Walkers. 

I mean if you say that GRRM has chosen that path ... you started the discussion. :love:

• 8 months later...

Archived