U.S. Politics: Dining on Doritos with Derrida and Donald

lokisnow

13 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

No, the point she’s making is a coded attack on the browning of America. There is an obvious reason why diehard Trump supporters are anti-immigration and driven by white racial resentment. They are terrified of the idea that in the not too distant future America will be a majority-minority country.

Oh, I get it.  My point is that her attempt to dress it up is idiotic.

"We are the real Americans and we didn't vote for "these people" to live among us, implying that they should get a vote.

9 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think we should round up any green voters and have a little pogrom. 

You misspelled "popcorn".  

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Cory Lewandowski and Sean Spicer are at Harvard?!?  'Know what?  Good.  Let them trash the reputation of the school and prove beyond a doubt what massive, useless, fuckwits they are.  Jesus Christ, Spicer might actually be mentally retarded for heavens sake.

Here's an article in the Harvard Crimson.  Scroll down to the comments section and read the first one.  Tell me that wasn't written be some entitled, 1%, popped collar, ascot wearing, dude bro, twat.  After all, why use two syllables to say something when you can use fifty?  My English lit. professor will be so proud!!!

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/9/19/alums-petition-spicer-lewandowski/

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan claims he influenced Trump behind the scenes.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/ryan-suggests-hes-helped-thwart-trump-tragedies-behind-the-scenes

Yeah, I'm sure Ryan just dazzled and impressed Trump with his amazing numbers ability and a few power point slides.

What a bullshitter.

The original Trump plan was to roast and east those refugee children. Ryan suggested being more humane and drugging them & penning them up in cages instead.  So brave.  Like Jesus, really.  

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I think he impressed Trump with how flexible and pliant he was. It helps to have no spine.

Disco!

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I’d say since the kid was born and her link to the money was secured. They do, after all, sleep in different rooms. I’ve heard of functioning couples having separate beds, but I’ve never heard of them having separate rooms.

Well, for a while at the beginning of his term, they were sleeping in different states. I wonder how fondly she looks back on those days...

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh, I get it.  My point is that her attempt to dress it up is idiotic.

"We are the real Americans and we didn't vote for "these people" to live among us, implying that they should get a vote.

“Take our country back”

From who?

“America doesn’t look like America anymore”

What did it use to look like?

Ryan prefers to tell Trump how he feels in private. He joins a large group of Trump’s putative allies, many of whom have worked in the administration, who insist that they have shaped Trump’s thinking and behavior in private: the “Trust me, I’ve stopped this from being much worse” approach.

“I can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and say I avoided that tragedy, I avoided that tragedy, I avoided that tragedy,” Ryan tells me. “I advanced this goal, I advanced this goal, I advanced this goal.”

I locked in on the word “tragedy.” It sets the mind reeling to whatever thwarted “tragedies” Ryan might be talking about. I asked for an example. “No, I don’t want to do that,” Ryan replied. “That’s more than I usually say.”

Jesus fucking Christ, CALL HIM OUT IN PUBLIC YOU FUCKING WEAKLING!

"Hi Honey. how was your day? I twarted fifty tragedies today.  It's fine.  Everything's fine."

29 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Well, for a while at the beginning of his term, they were sleeping in different states. I wonder how fondly she looks back on those days...

Probably quite fondly considering there was a zero percent chance that Trump would slink into her room at night and paw at her while she tried to sleep.

Yet, yet, yet!

http://www.njherald.com/article/20180809/AP/308099903

Why they, hmmmmm, when already naturalized citizens are threatened with citizenship revocation and deportation?

TODAY'S EDITION
National News
Melania Trump's parents are sworn in as US citizens
The Associated Press
Posted: Aug. 9, 2018 8:00 am Updated: Aug. 9, 2018 12:10 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — First lady Melania Trump's parents have been sworn in as U.S. citizens.

A lawyer for Viktor and Amalija Knavs says the Slovenian couple took the citizenship oath on Thursday in New York City.

They had been living in the U.S. as permanent residents.

The Knavses raised Melania in the rural industrial town of Sevnica while Slovenia was under Communist rule.

Viktor was a car dealer. Amalija worked in a textile factory.

They came and went from the ceremony at a Manhattan federal building flanked by Homeland Security police.

Viktor is 74, two years older than President Donald Trump. Amalija is 73.

The first lady, born Melanija, changed her name to Melania Knauss when she started modeling.

She settled in New York in 1996 and met Trump two years later.

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Well, if there are American Greens who use this as a justification to say "whatever" in distinguishing between Republicans and Democrats, what reason does the Green Party have to even exist?

Fine, I'll bite and defend the Greens (although the American Green Party is a bit difficult to defend, when you look at their latest tickets).

Anyway, I think the idea is to give green ideas a broader stage and to get them into the public discourse. Or let me phrase it another way. Do you think Green/enviromental ideas would've found their way into the programmes of the Democrats without a Green Party, or what they give as many fucks as the GOP about the enviroment? 

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Fine, I'll bite and defend the Greens (although the American Green Party is a bit difficult to defend, when you look at their latest tickets).

Anyway, I think the idea is to give green ideas a broader stage and to get them into the public discourse. Or let me phrase it another way. Do you think Green/enviromental ideas would've found their way into the programmes of the Democrats without a Green Party, or what they give as many fucks as the GOP about the enviroment? 

The two party system is brute fact.  Wishing it isn't so will get you no where.  Jill Stien isn't the person to topple it, sad to say.

The Greens should do the same thing the religious right and the Tea party people did: become part of one the main parties and challenge established candidates from within.  Then they might have an impact instead of potentially splitting the vote.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez could have totally run as a green, and no one would have any idea who she is.  This person, who no one ever heard of 6 months ago, could end up having a greater impact on public policy than Jill Stein ever has.  There's a lesson to be learned here.

The other thing they can do is focus on more state and local races: city councils, school boards, District Attorney, Mayor.  Build the thing from the bottom up instead of trying to elect someone president with zero party infrastructure.

I've said this repeatedly: until a third party campaigns on a strong platform to enable multiparty election systems that have been shown to work elsewhere (ranked choice, MMPR, etc) they are entirely devoid of any actual value to the system and only serve to make the people who vote for them more likely to not get represented. 

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The two party system is brute fact.  Wishing it isn't so will get you no where.  Jill Stien isn't the person to topple it, sad to say.

Agreed. With regards to Stein, like I said, it's kinda hard to defend the US Green Party when you look at their last Tickets. (suffice to say there was somewhat of a decline in quality past Nader).

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The Greens should do the same thing the religious right and the Tea party people did: become part of one the main parties and challenge established candidates from within.  Then they might have an impact instead of potentially splitting the vote.

Yes, and no. Racism and Religious Lunacy are somewhat older and thus more established concepts than the enviroment. The latter being very much ingrained into social fabric of the US (no offense). So those groups didn't have to start from scratch. That's where I think that analogy runs into some problems. To put it bluntly, the treehuggers were hardly more than an oddity in the early 1980s.

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The other thing they can do is focus on more state and local races: city councils, school boards, District Attorney, Mayor.  Build the thing from the bottom up instead of trying to elect someone president with zero party infrastructure.

I view those GE runs more of an attempt to draw attention to the issue of the enviroment. Local councils and stuff don't get nearly as much (media) attention. And again, a 2nd half of the 20th century project isn't nearly as easy a sell as centuries of religious indcotrination (hyperbole I know) and racial biotry.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, and no. Racism and Religious Lunacy are somewhat older and thus more established concepts than the enviroment. The latter being very much ingrained into social fabric of the US (no offense). So those groups didn't have to start from scratch. That's where I think that analogy runs into some problems. To put it bluntly, the treehuggers were hardly more than an oddity in the early 1980s.

I don't know what any of this means.  A movent has to exist for centuries?

The first Earth day was in 1970.  If you consider environmentalism for be analogous to, or and extension of, conservation, then it's been around for millennia.

Oh, I'm not an American.  I just spend my days surrounded by these Yankee Devils.

I view those GE runs more of an attempt to draw attention to the issue of the enviroment. Local councils and stuff don't get nearly as much (media) attention. And again, a 2nd half of the 20th century project isn't nearly as easy a sell as centuries of religious indcotrination (hyperbole I know) and racial biotry.

Then they are useful idiots. 

Agreed. With regards to Stein, like I said, it's kinda hard to defend the US Green Party when you look at their last Tickets. (suffice to say there was somewhat of a decline in quality past Nader).

The Koch brothers. They banged their heads against the wall a long time in the Libertarian party. And then had a massive on our politics by supporting Republicans, to the detriment of our country.

I think religious folly and racism are more ingrained. 

No, it's not been around for centuries. The old idea for nature was, (I'll paraphrase it a bit) Nature is there for the benefit of mankind, and mankind as the apex of creation has a right/duty to transform it to its liking, or for progress (you still see it as in enviromental laws being a hindrance for growth and prosperity). The concept that we're essentially looting the planet, and resources are not infinite is relatively new. 

The conservation movement, had imho as somewhat different angle. That was more something like escapism, or as some kind of wardens for the creation.

I am not arguing against the two party system making the green party to useful idiots, at least during the last elections cycles. however, how green the Democrats would be now, without a green party pushing the agenda, that is imho a legit question.

Voting early is always nice. Screw those lines!

I feel a bit smug saying that half the people I voted for are former bosses of mine, and two others were people I’ve worked with. The only one I have no connection to is also the only Republican I’ve ever voted for, but he’s a recovering Republican so I can forgive him for that.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Obama also got a lot of non-voters to vote in 2008 and a lot of them showed up for him again in 2012. I would expect Trump to experience the same slightly diminished level of support from that cohort that Obama received his second time around.

I think that means, fuck it, nominate Bernie, maybe the kids and the olds will vote for him?

Or it means the software Russia developed to adjust vote totals precinct-by-precinct in the states Trump flipped was very good and identified non-voters and voted for them, and they never voted at all. I mean the software was good enough to make sure the states they targeted and flipped all had just barely enough of a margin of victory to make sure automatic recounts weren't triggered, so it was probably good enough to pick which non voters to create votes for, amiright? Another good strategy to build into the software would be to randomly flip about two percent of democrat votes to green votes. That way you inflate the third party numbers without suspicion but have to create way fewer votes to create your margin of victory.

Archived