U.S. Politics: Dining on Doritos with Derrida and Donald

lokisnow

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more people follow suit and are becoming racists every day. The Democratic Party support has declined in the Generic Congressional Ballot. They are now only about 3 points ahead of the Republicans, and may go even lower than that.

Based on one poll or an average of polls?

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more people follow suit and are becoming racists every day. The Democratic Party support has declined in the Generic Congressional Ballot. They are now only about 3 points ahead of the Republicans, and may go even lower than that.

That is unfortunate. The Nazi party in Germany didn't start with a majority either, but people follow suit. As it turns out it's pretty easy to get most people to fall in line with fairly horrible ideas.

Also, only YouGov has it +3 - it's still much higher in the aggregate.

5 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Maybe, but do you think there's a difference between people foolishly (in your view) supporting Trump for economic reasons, or them being all racists, who fear that whites are being outnumbered and trusting that Trump will fix that?

This is the question I want answered, because I see plenty of such extreme statements in this thread without anyone challenging them.

Then challenge away.  What do you mean by 'economic reasons'?  We're running a larger deficit than we have since 2009, for no reason whatsoever.  Trump wants to spend billions more bailing out farmers due to an issue he created through Tariffs.  Tax cuts have gone almost solely to the richest Americans.  Health insurance rates will rise more than they have in the last 5 years, and enrollment will be going down; so less coverage and more expensive.  Wages are stagnating despite labor shortages, why hasn't he addressed that?

So yeah... challenge away... I'd love to hear these 'economic reasons' as to why one should support Trump.  He's absolutely failing while riding Obama's coattails, which are primed to get pulled from him in the next 6-12 months.  Anyone with a couple of braincells to rub together can see the writing on the wall.

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Based on one poll or an average of polls?

Its probably from RCP's, which is pretty much an average that takes all polls into consideration regardless of quality and does a brute force average (I checked, and its about +3.9 right now). 538.com on the other hand has some secret sauce they use to weight polls and its around +6.5 right now.

I think if you look at historic data the RCP average trends lower than the 538 'average'. At any rate, who knows what the actual lead is. Everyone is just guessing at a turnout model right now, and also trying to reconcile these numbers with special election numbers that show actual people turning up, but are also...well, 'special'. I guess the primaries must also have given a bit of a hint though.

15 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I know that people like to mention 1984 a lot even when it is not relevant, but it sure seems like some people in this thread see it as a guide.

This is correct, but it's not the people you seem to think.

There is no clearer example of doublethink than the claim that tolerance requires us to give a platform to intolerance.

7 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its probably from RCP's, which is pretty much an average that takes all polls into consideration regardless of quality and does a brute force average (I checked, and its about +3.9 right now). 538.com on the other hand has some secret sauce they use to weight polls and its around +6.5 right now.

I think if you look at historic data the RCP average trends lower than the 538 'average'. At any rate, who knows what the actual lead is. Everyone is just guessing at a turnout model right now, and also trying to reconcile these numbers with special election numbers that show actual people turning up, but are also...well, 'special'. I guess the primaries must also have given a bit of a hint though.

Ok. Reason I asked is because when I went to 538, only saw one poll that was at +3 and one that was even while everything else was +4-+9. I was curious where he got his numbers from.

25 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That is unfortunate. The Nazi party in Germany didn't start with a majority either, but people follow suit. As it turns out it's pretty easy to get most people to fall in line with fairly horrible ideas.

Also, only YouGov has it +3 - it's still much higher in the aggregate.

Yeah well, Italy and Germany had massive economic growth under Mussolini and Hitler respectively.  I guess they couldn't have been all bad.

15 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Also I am pretty neo-Nazis were not often put television in the 1970's. Apparently it was not the end of America or the 1st amendment.

CNN wasn't even founded until 1980. In the 1970s there was so much less television out there than there is today that I don't think that statement is meaningful in terms of what TV news should or should not be doing today. TV news outlets have massively more hours to fill than they did in the 1970s. I don't think any lack of neo-Nazis on TV in the 1970s was because of any decisions by TV news executives of the time that it would have been unethical to do so. Certainly back in the 1960s George Lincoln Rockwell of the American Nazi Party got enough media coverage that most middle class Americans of the time knew his name and what ideology he was promoting. 

Sort of amusing in a horrible way to see the Great Smart Biz Guy who knows Biz and how to manage everything pick to hire as campaign manager such an eff-up -- boy howdy, was Manafort an eff-up and idiot.  He reminds one of somebody we would all like to see Go Away, all right!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/12/us/politics/manafort-trump-trial.html?

Mr. Manafort’s deceptions grew increasingly convoluted throughout 2016, prosecutors say, but the Trump campaign appears to have been oblivious to that. Like nearly everyone else hired by the campaign, Mr. Manafort was not vetted. The recommendation of Thomas J. Barrack Jr., a private equity investor who has been close to Mr. Trump for years, was enough. Also in his favor was Mr. Manafort’s offer to work at no charge, both because Mr. Trump is a notorious skinflint and because Mr. Manafort apparently thought Mr. Trump would be more likely to hire a man of seeming great wealth like himself.

14 minutes ago, Serious Callers Only said:

... for texting in private that republicans were saying in public at around that time.

40 minutes ago, Serious Callers Only said:

Pretty clear political pressure here given no evidence of bias has ever been found in his actions. Having private political feelings in real time isn't against the rules.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Pretty clear political pressure here given no evidence of bias has ever been found in his actions. Having private political feelings in real time isn't against the rules.

He utterly wrecked House Republicans in that hearing a few months ago. It is pretty clear where the bias, institutional rot, and criminal behavior is coming from.

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Probably, but I suspect he would have been fired even if there wasn’t. In normal times he wouldn’t have been, but that’s where we are.  

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Probably, but I suspect he would have been fired even if there wasn’t. In normal times he wouldn’t have been, but that’s where we are.  

Well, the person who handles FBI discipline recommended 60 day suspension and demotion. He was overruled to fire him instead.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Well, the person who handles FBI discipline recommended 60 day suspension and demotion. He was overruled to fire him instead.

That’s what I was hinting at. Normally he wouldn’t have, but the leadership at the FBI are trying to protect their reputation so they went heavy handed and terminated him.

Archived