U.S. Politics: Dining on Doritos with Derrida and Donald

lokisnow

13 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Trump apparently called Nepal nipple and Bhutan button.

No doubt he misprounounced Niger as well, so he's full of shit he never said the N - word even if we were to take him not being a racist seriously.

A distraction I think.  GWB mispronounced things all the time. "WMD" wasn't one of them.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/16189064/antifa-charlottesville-dc-unite-the-right-mark-bray

The case of Nazism is obviously one of those intractable historical problems for advocates of pacifism. Even the school of strategic nonviolence that puts aside the ethical questions in favor of the strategic questions still fails, in my view, to show how nonviolence might have worked in that situation.

But look, anti-fascists will concede that most of the time nonviolence is certainly the way to go. Most antifa members believe it’s far easier to use nonviolent methods than it is to show up and use direct action methods. But they argue that history shows that it’s dangerous to take violence and self-defense off the table.

2 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/16189064/antifa-charlottesville-dc-unite-the-right-mark-bray

The case of Nazism is obviously one of those intractable historical problems for advocates of pacifism. Even the school of strategic nonviolence that puts aside the ethical questions in favor of the strategic questions still fails, in my view, to show how nonviolence might have worked in that situation.

But look, anti-fascists will concede that most of the time nonviolence is certainly the way to go. Most antifa members believe it’s far easier to use nonviolent methods than it is to show up and use direct action methods. But they argue that history shows that it’s dangerous to take violence and self-defense off the table.

That's actually a fairly nuanced view.  Well stated.

7 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The President of the United States is having a big public feud with a former reality TV villain. Just another day in Trump America in other words.

...and a republican Governor just told a Republican President to fuck off in front of the entire twitter-verse. 

You are referring to Omarosa?

42 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

No, see, this is where you are wrong, and I’ve pointed it out before.

The Nazis got started as that time’s version of Punch-a-Nazi (Kick-a-Commie) involved in street level violence against the rise of communism and the willingness to ‘do more to stop it than talk’.

Edit: I should have read your second paragraph. I assumed you were going where you normally go with this, my bad. Monster headache atm.

24 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

...and a republican Governor just told a Republican President to fuck off in front of the entire twitter-verse. 

You are referring to Omarosa?

Yeah, Omarosa. Trumps says he knows it's not presidential, but he's going to do it anyway. That sums up this presidency nicely. Whatever suits Trump's ego at any particular minute drives all the decision-making.

ICE Has Tripled the Number of Undocumented Immigrants Without Criminal Records It Arrests

Federal arrests of undocumented immigrants with no criminal record have more than tripled under President Donald Trump and may still be accelerating, according to an NBC News analysis of Immigration and Customs Enforcement data from his first 14 months in office.

The surge has been caused by a new ICE tactic of arresting — without warrants — people who are driving or walking down the street and using large-scale “sweeps” of likely immigrants, according to a class-action lawsuit filed in June by immigration rights advocates in Chicago.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/ice-arrests-of-non-criminal-undocumented-immigrants-surge.html

On the other hand, Trump doesn’t want undocumented immigrants to be under the impression they are safe, and that seems to be the motive behind a noted upsurge in ICE arrests in cases those with no criminal records, as NBC News reports:

Federal arrests of undocumented immigrants with no criminal record have more than tripled under President Donald Trump and may still be accelerating, according to an NBC News analysis of Immigration and Customs Enforcement data from his first 14 months in office.

The surge has been caused by a new ICE tactic of arresting — without warrants — people who are driving or walking down the street and using large-scale “sweeps” of likely immigrants, according to a class-action lawsuit filed in June by immigration rights advocates in Chicago.

CE “administrative” arrests of immigrants without criminal convictions have spiked 203 percent in the first full 14 months of his presidency compared to the final 14 months of the Obama administration, growing from 19,128 to 58,010, according to NBC’s review of ICE figures. During the same time period, the numbers show that arrests of undocumented immigrants with criminal records grew just 18 percent.

11 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

In your view, why isn't it foolish. Explain that. Surely, you don't support Trump because of the economy. Am I right?

You're right, but that's not relevant, the point is that there are a myriad of reasons one could have for supporting Trump. Denying that and blaming everything on racism is such an extremely oversimplified view that I don't even understand why I have to point it out.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Name one crazy 'hard-left' conspiracy advocated by anyone on this board.

That every person who supports Trump does so because they are racists, who fear that whites are being outnumbered and trusting that Trump will fix that.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

Based on one poll or an average of polls?

Based on the RCP average, taking into account that the two polls showing a +7 democratic lead are the two oldest. Also, although we shouldn't trust single polls, YouGov (one of the most accurate during last election) showing  the Republicans only 3 points behind, when only a few weeks ago they were 8 points behind, is a good indication of the trend, I think.

Again, there were Nazis who didn’t buy into Hitler’s whole Jewish thing but went along because they agreed with him on some other issue, like say militarism or work programs. Back in undergrad we had a debate about which party was least morally defensible, the true-believer Nazis or the expediently tolerant-of-racism-in-authority and the vast majority of the class said the latter party were less morally defensible.

Because the true believers don’t think of the victims as people, really, so they aren’t knowingly okaying the victimization of people. Whereas the non-true believers DID know that other humans were being targeted by the leaders they support, but were okay with it because they themselves got something else out of it.

That’s what I hear when people say ‘we’re not all racists’. I hear someone taking the moral ‘high ground’ of supporting racists in power because it doesn’t affect them and they get something else out of it. I almost think I prefer racists to expediently self-serving racism-tolerant folk.

22 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

You're right, but that's not relevant, the point is that there are a myriad of reasons one could have for supporting Trump. Denying that and blaming everything on racism is such an extremely oversimplified view that I don't even understand why I have to point it out.

That every person who supports Trump does so because they are racists, who fear that whites are being outnumbered and trusting that Trump will fix that.

A prominent Fox News host literally just said something akin to this, albeit not about all Trump supporters. Furthermore, what do you make of conservatives regularly saying “take our country back” and “America doesn’t look like America anymore?” Is every Trump supporter a racist? No. Is every Trump supporter backing a racist, or at the very least someone willing to use racism to further their agenda? Yes, and there’s no way to deny that at this point. Fighting at the semantics level shows you’ve got nothing left to stand on.

37 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

ICE Has Tripled the Number of Undocumented Immigrants Without Criminal Records It Arrests

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/ice-arrests-of-non-criminal-undocumented-immigrants-surge.html

Nuh, uh. President Trump, (the best president in the history of evahs) promised he was going after baaaad peoples. #fakenews. #fingersinmyearsgoinglalalalalalalalalalalala.

Like this little human.  Clearly a member of MS-13.

https://kdvr.com/2018/08/09/colorado-parents-fighting-to-stop-legally-adopted-four-year-old-daughter-from-being-deported/

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Honest question, why do you folks argue or respond to this guy at all? He's got a troll for an avatar for fucks sake and he doesn't even live in the goddamn U.S.

It's less about him and more about offer a rebuke for others, 

Archived