What is the Martells' opinion on the Starks?

Angel Eyes

The Martells hate the Lannisters for what the Mountain did to Elia and her children and dislike the Baratheons for Robert's satisfaction, but what of their opinion on the Starks? Do they resent Lyanna for being the woman that Rhaegar abandoned Elia and her children for? Respectful of Ned's anger at Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon's deaths? Or are they like Viserys, lumping all of the Rebels in one category, the "Usurper's Dogs?"

19 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

The Martells hate the Lannisters for what the Mountain did to Elia and her children and dislike the Baratheons for Robert's satisfaction, but what of their opinion on the Starks? Do they resent Lyanna for being the woman that Rhaegar abandoned Elia and her children for? Respectful of Ned's anger at Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon's deaths? Or are they like Viserys, lumping all of the Rebels in one category, the "Usurper's Dogs?"

Neutral to hostile.  

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well Tywin had Aegon and Rhaenys killed, Robert Baratheon shrugged it off by calling them 'Dragonspawn', and Ned is Robert's best friend. For such hotblooded people that is probably enough to at least dislike Ned. Granted they probably don't despise him due to actually saying how Elia and the children's death was wrong, but at the end of the day he was still one of Robert's biggest supporters in the rebellion. 

Whether or not they dislike Lyanna depends on which story they believe. If they think Lyanna was kidnapped and raped they probably pity her, but if they think Rhaegar and Lyanna ran away together they probably think of Lyanna as a whore. 

I doubt they have any dislike of the Stark children. If anything they would probably quite like Jon Snow due to not having a problem with bastards, and most people think his mother was a Dornish woman. 

I think this changes over times.

Ned would clearly resist a Targ restoration and back-up his brother-from-another-mother Robert well into his time as Hand. So Ned is a opponent but I think he is need as much more respectable than Tywin or Robert although his associations with Bobby B really tranish him. "You are cool Ned but we have irreconcilable differences". If Ned has to die for Doran's plans then so be it but I don't think he is out to hurt House Stark, maybe humiliate a bit.

Robb I suspect did/could have done a bit rehabilitate the Dornish opinion of the Starks. He is gunning for the Lannisters and won't bow down to either of the Baratheon brothers. He might have be a potential ally if he could have been talked out of that whole Northed independence thing. (Maybe raising up the Stark's up to the same level as House Martell, princes and princesses instead of lords?)

Right now, well as far as the Martell's knows the Starks are pretty much all dead. So pity maybe a "that's what you get for trusting the wrong people". If they got their hands on a surviving Stark somehow I do think they be willing to let bygones be bygones. Both the Martells and Starks where victims of circumstance during Robert's Rebellion and non of the participants are alive at this point. Killing/doing something else to Sansa or Arya after all the shit that their family has been through seems too petty for the Martells. That said I don't think they would be willing to do risk much to help the Starks unless House Martell stands to gain somehow.

23 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Probably a lot smarter and more nuanced than viserys to be fair,

They prob dislike rhaeghar for publicly leaving elia and kids  but prob dont have not that much hatred for the young gal he left her for ,the general feeling i have is fidelity in marriage isnt as big a thing in dorne  anyway (very french i reckon ie mistresses are semi acceptable) so itd be more the public rejection that would sting and that  would be largely aimed at rhaeghar

Prob feel neds anger and needing vengence both honourable and totaly understandable (esp given their culture) 

His respect for the dead kids and how he risked life to return the dayne family sword prob won him a lot of respect down south

On 8/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, Angel Eyes said:

None of the Martells we have seen thus far has expressed an opinion on any of the Starks, so it is hard to tell. Nor is Oberyn's behaviour to Sansa in KL an indication.

I'm not sure if they would hate/resent the Starks, necessarily. The Starks did not  harm Ella or her children, and whether they would resent Lyanna depends on how they perceive the events occurred. Do they believe Lyanna to have actively sought to replace Elia? If not, their blame might be reserved for Rhaegar only. And as far as is described, Dorans initial refusal to give aid during the war was due to his anger of Rhaegar's treatment of Elia, so one can wonder whether he blamed Lyanna for anything at all.

Do the Martells like anyone? They seem to have shakey relationships with a few bannermen, have historical feuds with some Reachmen, and have clashed with the Stormlands frequently. Adding the Lannisters to that list only leaves them a few potential allies at this point. 

If they back the wrong dragon, their days may be numbered.

Regardless of how they felt about Lyanna it's hard to completely hate a family who suffered just as much loss, also Eddard played no part in the sack and was adamant about seeking proper justice. With the Lannisters and Baratheons in the picture I guess there's no time to seek revenge on a family whose living members didn't actually do anything wrong. 

Archived