Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Damn, we are lock step together on these. I liked Starship Troopers, I mean it was silly but still. Part 2, utter horse shit.

Never got the Blazing Saddle love. History of the World, yes, Blazing Saddles no.

Also like Lord of the Flies 1990 version. I had read the book in 7th or 8th grade and it was amazing to me. The movie for me held true to the feel of the book.

Did you mix up my avatar with the movie I watched?

:P

I haven't seen History of the World. Is that the one where Mel Brooks does the "I give you these 15, 10 commandments" line?

6 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Did you mix up my avatar with the movie I watched?

:P

I haven't seen History of the World. Is that the one where Mel Brooks does the "I give you these 15, 10 commandments" line?

Oh hell yes I did! And yes it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched Umbre on Amazon Prime. (Umbre being "Shadows" in Romanian). This is apparently an HBO Europe production which I didn't know was a thing. The story follows a Romanian family man who drives a cab and collects money for the local mob boss, often by force.  We watch him try to keep his 2 lives separate while he deals with the physical and ethical implications of his work. Solid show with major flaws. It reminded me a lot of Un Prophete.

The most severe problem is the absolutely terrible subtitles. A lot of the banter between the characters is witty and humorous, and you're able to get the general gist of Romanian slang but it comes off more awkward and less contemporary than it should for trash talk. There are some phrases that leave you cross-eyed at what the interpretation of it should be and you can't figure out the meaning at all. 

The other, much more minor issue I had, was that episodes would end in what should be an upcoming major conflict that you look forward to seeing play out. But then the next episode starts a few days later after any immediate aftermath has taken place and where a sudden conflict has dissolved to a degree. I would have rather seen them pick up the story right where they left off.

Overall a good show that I'll keep watching. They really need to get better subtitle translations though..

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Did anyone check out the premier episode of Manifest? I caught the first bit and thought it seemed interesting, but I had to switch over to the football game for gambling reasons. 

I dvr'd it and will watch tonight or tomorrow and see. My wife said it was decent.

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Did anyone check out the premier episode of Manifest? I caught the first bit and thought it seemed interesting, but I had to switch over to the football game for gambling reasons. 

We've seen like 5 episodes and really like it. Very strange though not hard to follow while also being a visual treat. Stone is great.

I’m 2 episodes into Maniac and liking it so far. Emma Stone is great per usual, and I’m enjoying the world that they created so far. It’s almost a clone of ours but with a lot of weird little machines and architecture. I hadn’t realized Fukunaga was the director until after the 1st ep too. A pleasant surprise.

Also decided to get back into American Horror Story. Only 2 eps into that too but it’s decent so far. Will keep watching.

13 hours ago, Mexal said:

We've seen like 5 episodes and really like it. Very strange though not hard to follow while also being a visual treat. Stone is great.

How have you seen five episodes already? Did you steal them?

Talk about New York values……   

Both Killing Eve and The Bodyguard were excellent, though the former felt like it ended far too soon (which just speaks to how much I loved it tbh). It’s really funny watching Killing Eve then listening to Jodie Comer do interviews though :D 

Next up, Maniac (MANIAC ON THE FLOOR)

Maniac gets better with every episode (I'm on 6). 

First 3 episodes of killing Eve are excellent thanks to the writing and mesmerising performance of the assassin.

The second episode of "discovery of witches" confirmed my feeling they should have opened with a double episode as I liked the pseudo monster genetics/evolution. And while there's obviously a romance it now feels a bit more earned

Archived