Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

18 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

just watched the new ''folk horror'' film on Netflix by Gareth Evans who directed The Raid & The Raid 2.

''Apostle'' is as scary or as violent or as gruelling as I thought it might be although it's still enough of each. 

But I did really like it and I'm glad i weatched it and it's something i'll likely be watching again 

Glad to hear a positive review! Psyched to watch it tonight.

9 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Honestly the first season is all you should watch. The arc is done there.

Nah. The second season is utter brilliance. 

S1 is a complete story kind of like A Game of Thrones. It had a natural end, but it sets up so very much, and boy did they do a good job. 

44 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Bad Times at the El Royale was really good. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year. Fun retro crime thriller. I remember liking Drew Goddard’s other movie (Cabin in the Woods), so I’m looking forward to seeing what he does with X-Force. 

Good to hear. I’ll hopefully see it next week.

I watched Winter’s Bone for the first in a while and forgot how damn bleak and depressing this movie is. I can see why this was seen as J-Law’s breakout role because she did bring it... along with everyone else too.  Worth a watch if you haven’t yet.

I finished Maniac and thought it ended well. The middle got a little shaky for me as I found my mind starting to wander at times, but episode 7 and on really worked for me. As was said up thread- Theroux was fucking great in every scene he was in. I was also impressed with Julia Garner who played Emma Stone’s sister.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Nah. The second season is utter brilliance. 

S1 is a complete story kind of like A Game of Thrones. It had a natural end, but it sets up so very much, and boy did they do a good job. 

I’m loving season 2. I think it’s very cleverly done and feels like a nice continuation of the S1 arc

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Winter’s Bone for the first in a while and forgot how damn bleak and depressing this movie is. I can see why this was seen as J-Law’s breakout role because she did bring it... along with everyone else too.  Worth a watch if you haven’t yet.

I finished Maniac and thought it ended well. The middle got a little shaky for me as I found my mind starting to wander at times, but episode 7 and on really worked for me. As was said up thread- Theroux was fucking great in every scene he was in. I was also impressed with Julia Garner who played Emma Stone’s sister.

Was Julia garner in The Americans? I was almost certain she looked familiar. Kimmy maybe?

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

If you think Winter’s Bone is depressing watch Leave No Trace by the same director. One of the saddest movies I’ve seen in years. Good one though. 

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yep. That was her. She’s also amazing in Ozark. 

I still never finished the first season of this, but Garner was great in what I saw.

I’ve been watching Big Mouth on Netflix and this show is pretty wild. 

Ha... I just got to the episode in the Americans with Julia Garner. They only showed the back of her head at first, no face, but I instantly recognized that hair. Looks like her character is similar to the one she plays in Ozark (or at least so far).

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I still never finished the first season of this, but Garner was great in what I saw.

I’ve been watching Big Mouth on Netflix and this show is pretty wild. 

The second season was very enjoyable and actually had some interesting character moments/issues on top of the gross out hilarious stuff. The shame wizard was great.

Watching Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.I think it's great in many ways-script,acting,production values.Very much character driven,the episodic format gives time for all these characters to develop,adding to the creepiness factor.

I'd say it's excellent drama,with mystery and horror elements-no gore.

Episode 5 is superb and 6 is even better.

22 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Ha... I just got to the episode in the Americans with Julia Garner. They only showed the back of her head at first, no face, but I instantly recognized that hair. Looks like her character is similar to the one she plays in Ozark (or at least so far).

Character is pretty different. Same hair though.

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

Watched Phantom Thread - and man, how did people like this movie? How is called a masterpiece? 

Kristy Puchko nails this movie in this review. It is very weird to see the acclaim this film got. 

https://www.riotmaterial.com/p-t-andersons-phantom-thread-couldnt-come-at-a-worse-time/

I liked it. DDL and Vicky Krieps were both great. Wouldn’t go so far as masterpiece. It’s not even close to being P.T. Anderson’s best work, but I enjoyed it. More than I thought I would considering I couldn’t care less about the fashion world. 

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I liked it. DDL and Vicky Krieps were both great. Wouldn’t go so far as masterpiece. It’s not even close to being P.T. Anderson’s best work, but I enjoyed it. More than I thought I would considering I couldn’t care less about the fashion world. 

The performances are great, but 'genius who can be abusive' is a trope that is awful and not helpful. I know the movie tries to deconstruct that a bit, but it does not do it well enough. I have nothing against the performances and I usually like Anderson, but man, I think this movie has a lot of issues when it comes to the women in the film. 

Funny that Phantom Thread is being talked about in here right now.  I watched the first half hour of it today; first movie I didn't finish in quite a long while.  Now I'm watching Damsel, apparently it's supposed to be a dark comedy western.  I'm halfway through and have yet to see anything that even remotely resembles funny (but it's not serious either, just bad).

Watched Apostle last night. Feel disappointed that they didn't develop a clearer narrative for it really. Sorry, I know that anything will compare poorly to The Wicker Man but at least that film had a very clear and obvious narrative for the protagonist and the pagans community. It just feels a bit rushed and hand-wavy in Apostle. 

"Bad times at the el royale" is pretty good - just very long. I'm not sure where they'd have cut material but it could have done with being 20-30 minutes shorter. Hamm and Bridges are on form and Hemsworth plays a different character to his usual roles. One of the things I enjoyed was not really knowing what was going to happen and the storytelling approach so I won't mention that. 

Archived