Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

As much as I laugh at myself for watching the CW/DC shows & Riverdale... something is just right with the world when they are back on the air.... 8-9 is back on the TV menu... lol

I've had Riverdale on my Netflix list from the get go but just haven't found time for it. Shame as I think I'd like it. I'll probably try and dive straight into the Sabrina show and hopefully that'll give me the push towards Riverdale.

I can see the comfort of the DC/CW schedule season. Used to like it myself.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Watching The Haunting of Hill House right now, diggin it.  Episode one ended really well.  Plus

Is it jump scare heavy or just scary? I really enjoyed the first season of AHS because it was more creepy and eerie than jump scare and the trailers for this remind me if that.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I've had Riverdale on my Netflix list from the get go but just haven't found time for it. Shame as I think I'd like it. I'll probably try and dive straight into the Sabrina show and hopefully that'll give me the push towards Riverdale.

I can see the comfort of the DC/CW schedule season. Used to like it myself.

Is it jump scare heavy or just scary? I really enjoyed the first season of AHS because it was more creepy and eerie than jump scare and the trailers for this remind me if that.

My hatred for Riverdale knows no bounds but I did like the look of Sabrina. It also made me remember watching The Teenage Witch when I was younger and now I really want to rewatch

5 hours ago, red snow said:

To be honest, it's a terrible show... its written for teens.... the decisions made by the main characters are so awful no sane human being would make them... the local mob is run through the high school... likewise with the newspaper....  the gangs don't carry guns...

.... but its endearing as hell in a "I'll laugh my way through this" kind of way.... and there's Cheryl Blossom, who is hilarious. 

14 hours ago, red snow said:

There's probably 1-3 good  jump scares per episode, with a lot of general creepiness (many goosebump inducing moments).  It can be fairly predictable: episode 5

that Nell was the broke neck girl

but I really have no idea where the series is going as a whole - I'm halfway through.  It's really well acted and shot very nicely.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

There's probably 1-3 good  jump scares per episode, with a lot of general creepiness (many goosebump inducing moments).  It can be fairly predictable: episode 5

Reveal hidden contents

that Nell was the broke neck girl

but I really have no idea where the series is going as a whole - I'm halfway through.  It's really well acted and shot very nicely.

I’m 4 episodes in and really enjoying this. About to dive into episode 5 now! 

Spoiler

I saw a ghost face in the background of episode 1 and thought I was being observant. Then I checked online and realized there is ghosts in the background a lot so I’ve probably missed so many. 

The scene with the dad taking Steven out of the house on ‘the night’, and him seeing just a glimpse of his demon mom is still the creepiest one to me. Great buildup so far.

56 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m 4 episodes in and really enjoying this. About to dive into episode 5 now! 

Hide contents

I saw a ghost face in the background of episode 1 and thought I was being observant. Then I checked online and realized there is ghosts in the background a lot so I’ve probably missed so many. 

The scene with the dad taking Steven out of the house on ‘the night’, and him seeing just a glimpse of his demon mom is still the creepiest one to me. Great buildup so far.

I really like the structure of each episode primarily focusing on one character, even showing the same scenes from the other character's POV.   

Luke's episode was great, and I'm looking forward to the dad's (hopefully episode 6?).

On 10/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, Martini Sigil said:

As much as I laugh at myself for watching the CW/DC shows & Riverdale... something is just right with the world when they are back on the air.... 8-9 is back on the TV menu... lol

I told myself I'm done with them, but I watched the premiere of Arrow earlier, and now I'm watching Supergirl. That being said, I'm not watching The Flash or LoT. The Flash is too much mopiness added to the stupidity, and while LoT was always silly, I didn't like how they handled some of the characters at the end of last season. Not watching Black Lightning either, but that's thanks to it being newer - season 1 didn't grab me.

Oh my god, episodes 6, 7, & 8 of The Haunting of Hill House were so good.  Episode 8

did get a big "fuck you!" with that jump scare in the car scene.  I was tense as all get out that entire episode, and damn that too much.

Will watch the final two tomorrow.

I recently did a rewatch of The Drop which had very strong performances from Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and James Gandofini. All 3 were their usual impressive selves, but what really stuck with me was how perfect Hardy delivered that Brooklyn accent. If one didnt know otherwise they could easily mistake him as a native New Yorker from that role. Amazed this is the same guy we see in Taboo.

48 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Now up to date with the Good Place, love it so much. Love Maya Rudolph as the Judge too, sometimes I think she is too OTT but she is great here

Is there a "good place" thread anywhere? The new season is throwing up a lot of questions for me - the main one being

are the main cast now alive or is this a simulation? Sometimes the dialogue suggests it is real which is actually a much bigger deal than the simulation I thought it was

The most recent episode got a lot of laughs from me, mainly due to the 4th Hemsworth brother.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:58 AM, red snow said:

I think you'll probably know within the space of one episode of Riverdale whether it's for you or not. 

39 minutes ago, Isis said:

I think you'll probably know within the space of one episode of Riverdale whether it's for you or not. 

I suspect so! I think it was the potential veronica mars vibes and the fact I'm a sucker for school mysteries. That said there's so much other shit to watch I probably shouldn't be adding CW shows to the list which tend to feel like comfort eating.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Is there a "good place" thread anywhere? The new season is throwing up a lot of questions for me - the main one being

Hide contents

are the main cast now alive or is this a simulation? Sometimes the dialogue suggests it is real which is actually a much bigger deal than the simulation I thought it was

The most recent episode got a lot of laughs from me, mainly due to the 4th Hemsworth brother.

Spoiler

Seems real to me. There was a “reset” on the timeline which stopped them dying when they were supposed to to give them a second chance to get to the good place when they actually die. Hence the talk of Eleanor losing 17 points for blaming her farts on the chair

My favourite bit, I think from episode one of this season, or maybe the final of S2, was the Judge talking about the wacky timeline implications and even mentioning Brexit as a result :lol:

Regarding Sabrina, just seen a rather glowing review for it so cautiously optimistic!

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:
  Hide contents

Seems real to me. There was a “reset” on the timeline which stopped them dying when they were supposed to to give them a second chance to get to the good place when they actually die. Hence the talk of Eleanor losing 17 points for blaming her farts on the chair

My favourite bit, I think from episode one of this season, or maybe the final of S2, was the Judge talking about the wacky timeline implications and even mentioning Brexit as a result :lol:

Regarding Sabrina, just seen a rather glowing review for it so cautiously optimistic!

That was pretty good listing all the things that have gone wrong due to meddling with the timeline. However

that's pretty powerful things they are messing with to be able to change history /reality. It's one thing messing around with the hell simulations - it's another changing time. I'd have thought that would require people higher than the judge to be involved. It's also suggesting the characters may not end up dead anymore. The show continuously surprises so I won't speculate too much on the current status quo.

Netflix seem to be making a concerted effort with Halloween material this year between Sabrina, the haunted house show and sort of apostle.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Hide contents

When I originally saw the finale of the last season I did assume the same as you, that it was a simulation. However, the dialogue this season suggests that they really have rewritten history, certainly Michael seems to believe that. I suppose there could be a twist where the Judge has created a fake reality that even Michael and the other demons believe is real, in this show it's difficult to rule out things like that even if they seem unlikely.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I did think that bit was great. Poor Larry Hemsworth.

Archived