Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

My reaction was the same.  They had a lot of opportunities to do something actually smashing, instead it bombed.

Now I wonder if I should bother. I barely got through last season.

Finished Daredevil today and it was the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, by far.

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Now I wonder if I should bother. I barely got through last season.

Finished Daredevil today and it was the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, by far.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. It's a combination of slow pacing and bad resolutions, none of which makes sense on its face. 

I watched The River Wild last night. I have no idea why I picked this movie given how much good content there is on Netflix right now, but it was actually quite enjoyable.

Regarding House of Cards, I quit midway through season 2. It really should have just been a one season run ending with Zoe’s death and Frank’s fate left open to interpretation.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:36 AM, Corvinus said:

I just watched it, too. It was fine. More historically accurate than Braveheart (and other like films), though still plenty of inaccuracies. I agree with the location photography, good cinematography, too, and really liked the costuming. (again, way better than Braveheart). There was actually fucking color in the costumes, not just the stereotypical view that all Scots wore dreary colors, and the English wore red. 

Chris Pine was ok. In terms of the acting, the highlights for me were Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and various small scenes with more minor characters, especially James Cosmo, and the scene where Bruce kills Comyn. (first time I could say that Callan Mulvey could act)

On 11/10/2018 at 4:00 AM, Zorral said:

Ya -- there wasn't much opportunity for Pine to, well, act, was there?  :)

In terms of the real history it was so superior to Braveheart as to not have them in the same category. Still, of course, the Bruce and Eddie 2 never met in personal battle at the battle. Nor was it his wife put in that cage, but -- I don't know that much about this material -- his sisters?

OTOH, knowing Bruce's Big Antagonist is Edward II, one didn't need to worry much about the ultimate fate of the Bruce, which was quite a relief in these Daze, when one is watching in order to escape the present wreckage of all the Things.

That's really not saying much. :rofl:

Attenborough's first episode of "dynasties" featuring chimps was brutal. Talk about violence and switching alliances. When this darker side of chimps is highlighted I can't help but agree they are our closest living relative.

Watched You Were Never Really Here. Liked it a lot. Good crime movie staring Joaquin Phoenix. He was amazing as usual. Not familiar with the director (Lynne Ramsay), but I really liked a lot of her shots and camera work. Will have to check out more of her stuff. 

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regarding House of Cards, I quit midway through season 2. It really should have just been a one season run ending with Zoe’s death and Frank’s fate left open to interpretation.

Totally agree, I stopped about 2/3rds of the way through season 2 as well.  It got really bad.

I'm currently watching Knightfall, which is pretty entertaining even though the premise is kind of ridiculous.  Started watching Bodyguard with my wife and we're enjoying it for what it is, even though I'm not fond of the scary brown terrorists are everywhere out to get you main plot thread.

15 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Totally agree, I stopped about 2/3rds of the way through season 2 as well.  It got really bad.

Yeah I think the novelty just wares off and it didn’t help that they kept trying to make it more and more absurd. I was really bummed out by it because the first episode of the show might have hooked me more than any other show. The only one I can think of that was comparable is Dexter, and that’s the show that ruined television for me. Since then I almost never watch shows until they’re concluded. The only ones I currently watch week to week when they’re on are GoT, Westworld, Rick and Morty and Drunk History. I can’t think of any others that I consistently watch.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Dexter, house of cards and mad men, loved s1 of all of them. Quickly lost interest after that. 

I thought Dexter peaked with the ending of season four, but holy shit did it fall off a cliff after that.  Season one, two, and four were good.  Three kind of sucked.  Everything after four was just the dirt fucking worst, including the absolute worst series ending in TV history.

Went to see Widows tonight. Genuinely disappointed. I'd give it 3/5. Also, I thought the 'Polish' chick gave a better performance than Viola Davis. The latter was too obvious (that primal scream early on was cringe central). In fact the whole film was too obvious. It's like they had to make it dead simple plot-wise otherwise audiences wouldn't get it. What a waste. 

Still, at least no animals were harmed in the making etc etc

ETA you shouldn't even be allowed to have Liam Neeson in a film in that role. If you want him, you should have to pay him but then a cardboard standee is used on screen whilst someone doing an impression of his voice shouts his lines from off stage. 

17 minutes ago, Isis said:

Went to see Widows tonight. Genuinely disappointed. I'd give it 3/5. Also, I thought the 'Polish' chick gave a better performance than Viola Davis. The latter was too obvious (that primal scream early on was cringe central). In fact the whole film was too obvious. It's like they had to make it dead simple plot-wise otherwise audiences wouldn't get it. What a waste. 

Still, at least no animals were harmed in the making etc etc

I couldn't put my finger on it from the trailers but there was something dubious I felt about it. Maybe the "no one is expecting us to do it/ balls" line.

I'm glad I went for Overlord instead. The trailer was pretty faithful to the actual content and a solid B movie rather than an underperforming critical darling.

I watched "Creed" this afternoon as the trailer for the sequel reminded me it was long overdue. I'm a bit of a sucker for a good boxing film and this one ticked all the boxes. I'll probably wind up going to see the sequel.

Still no UK release I can find of "Sisters brothers". Guess I'm going to have to hope Netflix or Amazon pick it up over here. Frustrating when you aren't even given the option to support a film.

34 minutes ago, red snow said:

I couldn't put my finger on it from the trailers but there was something dubious I felt about it. Maybe the "no one is expecting us to do it/ balls" 

Still no UK release I can find of "Sisters brothers". Guess I'm going to have to hope Netflix or Amazon pick it up over here. Frustrating when you aren't even given the option to support a film.

You are probably too young to remember the original series of Widows, which I have a big soft spot for. That's what really drove me to watch it, plus I hoped they'd take the concept and run with it... But they didn't really.

Saw a trailer for a Coen brothers film tonight and thought AHAAA because it looked like it might be the Sisters Brothers film. Of course it wasn't. 

12 minutes ago, Isis said:

You are probably too young to remember the original series of Widows, which I have a big soft spot for. That's what really drove me to watch it, plus I hoped they'd take the concept and run with it... But they didn't really.

Saw a trailer for a Coen brothers film tonight and thought AHAAA because it looked like it might be the Sisters Brothers film. Of course it wasn't. 

Was it The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

I'm making my way through a PBS 4-part series, Native America, covering the various cultures and civilizations of the Americas. Very interesting.

Also slowly watching episodes of Babylon Berlin when I have the time. Wonderful series.

Excited for the return of Narcos this Friday.

Archived