Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I’ve started watching Knightfall and I realized two things: 

I’ve become awfully snobby about costume and set design and cgi quality. No, actually, I can live with shitty CGI, I’m old enough to have lived through 90s sci-fi and fantasy. But daaaaamn costume and set design quality irks me so badly. 

I’ve less and less tolerance for casting choices that aren’t age-appropriate for the character.

Natalie Dormer as Marg was one of the first instances. I do understand the need to cast slightly older actors for roles so that actor can play said role authentically. But adding 15 years is a rather rocky territory. And it gets even rockier when there’s a point of reference. When you cast a 32 year old woman to start off with a 12 year old son and the story goes on and the son grows up to be 17 and to be 25 and has his own child and there’s a 10 year time jump and the son has a 16 year old son himself, but the woman we started off with still looks thirty goddamn five, even though her son already has graying beard, and her sixty looking husband was bitten to death by a bunch of snakes a season ago. But no, the woman is still 35. 

Reign suffered from this at a certain point too, when Charles was a 15 year old brat and his YOUNGER brother came back from the east with battle experience and a beard. 

In Knightfall, we have a queen, who - admittedly - was married at the age of 11, and her daughter who has a larger cup size then her. Now no matter which angle I’m looking at this from, it’s wrong. Either the princess was the first child, in which case the queen is duly young (as portrayed by the 26 year old actress), or the princess wasn’t the first child in which case she is duly young but her mother should look noticeably older. Yes, queens (allegedly) popped out babies in the 1200s at the age of 12, but 12 years is not 5, so please don’t have a 26 year old actor play the mother of a 22 year old actor. Because it’s just in-forking-sane. 

Rant aside. Knightfall is also very boring and very predicatable and I have yet to find a likable character. 

30 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Rant aside. Knightfall is also very boring and very predicatable and I have yet to find a likable character. 

Just finished it and basically everyone sucks.  Religious nuts, asshole royalty, and everyone's a murderer, adulterer, and a liar.

Fun times.

12 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Just finished it and basically everyone sucks.  Religious nuts, asshole royalty, and everyone's a murderer, adulterer, and a liar.

Fun times.

So far I’ve got a slightly pedophile, corrupt, murderous politician, a dull and deviously stupid king, an even stupider, adulterer Queen, a vow breaking Templar master with horrible leadership skills and outrageous ideas about friendship, a slutty, blackmailing teen, a knight with anger management issues, a bratty farmer boy with ptsd and a bunch of characters with no personality I can’t even remember. And now you’re telling me it doesn’t get better... 

fun times indeed. 

7 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

So far I’ve got a slightly pedophile, corrupt, murderous politician, a dull and deviously stupid king, an even stupider, adulterer Queen, a vow breaking Templar master with horrible leadership skills and outrageous ideas about friendship, a slutty, blackmailing teen, a knight with anger management issues, a bratty farmer boy with ptsd and a bunch of characters with no personality I can’t even remember. And now you’re telling me it doesn’t get better... 

fun times indeed. 

FWIW I enjoyed it as a background show while I was doing work on my computer, but yeah.... it doesn't really get better, though there are a few interesting twists and the ending is pretty open ended.

Well, even the trailer told you it was really bad and not in an entertaining way . . . . :laugh:  

Even as starved as I feel for medieval action adventure with horses and swords, I couldn't watch this.  At all!  :lol:

Britannia is another one of those, which is so very bad, one can only be puzzled that anyone bothered at all with the making of the thing.  (Well, getting paid, I suppose?  And one can just forget to include working on such stinker in the resume.)

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, Isis said:

You are probably too young to remember the original series of Widows, which I have a big soft spot for. That's what really drove me to watch it, plus I hoped they'd take the concept and run with it... But they didn't really.

Saw a trailer for a Coen brothers film tonight and thought AHAAA because it looked like it might be the Sisters Brothers film. Of course it wasn't. 

Yeah, I never saw the original as far as I can recall. 

It sounds like the Ballad of buster Scruggs which I've been looking forward to for a while - at least I can watch this as it's a Netflix film. Which shows that as much as some hate Netflix for doing non-cinema film releases, it's better than the option of not getting to see it at all. It should help me forget about sisters brothers and it has the added bonus of me not having a clue what it's about. 

Hopefully no big UK Brexit developments which I'm ashamed to say took up my evening viewing today. 

15 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm hoping Widows is good, the buzz over here has been quite positive. Ocean's 8 was not great so I hope this is better. 

It's a decent heist film. Bit obvious. I expected better,

I went to see Overlord yesterday and liked it. Exactly what was expected and very well executed. Unfortunately the speakers at the theatre I was at were brutal. The bass was making them rattle and it was annoying the hell out of me the whole time. 

I watched the movie Eighth Grade. It’s about a quiet and shy girl who just graduated from 8th grade and wants to break out of her shell before going to high school. It’s pretty realistic and there are a bunch of cringey scenes where you feel really bad for her as she’s putting herself out there to the “cool” kids, and other things(I seriously might’ve turned it off if I smoked a bowl beforehand). But it is a good movie and the actress, Elsie Fisher, did a great job. I saw that it’s getting some Oscar buzz too.

I also saw Leave No Trace with Ben Foster. It’s about a father and daughter that live off the grid in the forest and are forced back into civilization. It’s a subtle-type movie that focuses on their relationship and has a few touching moments. The acting was great all around but Thomasin McKenzie stole the show.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

It's a decent heist film. Bit obvious. I expected better,

Yeah, tbh, I do too because it's Steve McQueen. I love heist film, but the last good one I saw was Baby Driver, and that wasn't even much of a heist film. Ocean's 8 had some good moments, but it was overall rather disappointing. To be fair, that director was always going to make a by the numbers movie. That cast was so good too :(

On 11/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, red snow said:

Still no UK release I can find of "Sisters brothers". Guess I'm going to have to hope Netflix or Amazon pick it up over here. Frustrating when you aren't even given the option to support a film.

You aren't missing anything. Pretend the money that I spent on it was yours and I won't regret have as much regret after paying for two theater tickets. Zzzzz...

15 minutes ago, Week said:

You aren't missing anything. Pretend the money that I spent on it was yours and I won't regret have as much regret after paying for two theater tickets. Zzzzz...

that's a shame to hear. The trailer looked fun although your reaction might explain the lack of release in UK

1 minute ago, red snow said:

that's a shame to hear. The trailer looked fun although your reaction might explain the lack of release in UK

I was psyched for it too -- I like everyone in it, but it just didn't really deliver a particularly exciting, interesting, or different story. :/

Watched the first segment in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night and thought it was great.  It's the titular Ballad of Buster Scruggs and it's got a lot of really good laughs.  Looking forward to watching the rest tonight.

22 hours ago, Triskele said:

I'm actually pretty excited for S4 of Narcos which comes available tomorrow.  Moves the story to Mexico and stars Diego Luna.  Very strong online buzz so far.  

How’s season 3? I needed a break after cruising through the first 2 seasons and have just never gone back. I think I might just skip it and go right to s4.

Saw Girl in the Spiders Web....ehh..  I loved the first American version of Girl with the Dragon tattoo. Well done all the way around. I then read the three books by the author and watched the three Swedish films, all of which I liked.

This one however is based on a book written by a different author and all of the actors were new. I didn't like it at all. Nothing about it felt like the others. 

I also watched Outlaw King...another disappointment. Not sure what I expected but I know it fell flat for me. 

Archived