Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Holy shit, Stephen Root in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is amazing.

The film was excellent from top to bottom, a real joy full of laugh out moments and my favourite coen brothers film in a long time and easily one of their top tier films. The 6 short stories captured many aspects of the legend of the wild west. If this is what directors can achieve with the longer leash of Netflix I can't wait to see what other big directors can cook up with them. 

11 hours ago, Week said:

I was psyched for it too -- I like everyone in it, but it just didn't really deliver a particularly exciting, interesting, or different story. :/

Ballad of buster Scruggs more than salves the pain of not getting to see sisters brothers. In fact if it is as disappointing as you say then I need some distance between the films. Buster Scruggs has a very similar dark humour to the sisters brothers novel

17 hours ago, Triskele said:

There's a thread going on this one you could check out.  The reaction overall seems to be mixed leaning towards "meh."  

i was interested to hear that it apparently bombed at Toronto and then got retouched a bit.  

Not exactly. What got retouched, because that was all anybody was talking about -- and evidently were very excited about -- was the then extended view of Chris Pine's full frontal nudity.  Now it's barely there, so to speak.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Not exactly. What got retouched, because that was all anybody was talking about -- and evidently were very excited about -- was the then extended view of Chris Pine's full frontal nudity.  Now it's barely there, so to speak.

I thought 20 minutes was cut out in the edit? So unless Pine spent a lot of time letting it all hang out I'd think other elements were cut?

Peter Jackson " they shall not grow old" was a technical marvel but also a well crafted documentary where the entire narrative was told by veterans of the "great war'. It's almost alien the viewpoints people had going into the war and the conditions of the trenches alone seemed like hell on earth and that was before the combat started.

The colouring and frame rate changes did a great job of making it seem more "real". I have to admit I find it hard to imagine the front/trenches in anything beyond black and white but there are some great shots where the green from the grass shines through the destruction in places

The "making of " documentary was also fascinating.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

I thought 20 minutes was cut out in the edit? So unless Pine spent a lot of time letting it all hang out I'd think other elements were cut?

They cut out stuff as well that had to do with explanation of why the Bruce killed Comyn and so on, to the detriment of the film, if I understand correctly.  But one can see the clumsy cgi and editing around / over Pine's nudity too, and it's quite a bit in terms of screen time.  I would say it was gratuitous nudity too, though the first bit wouldn't have been -- but that becomes gratuitous via their clumsy editing.  Feh.

In any case, again, a tale such as that of the Bruce needs the arc of a full series.  A film simply can't cope with it any way that's meaningful.

39 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Wasn't wild about Outlaw King.... 

... 3 episodes into Narcos... Michael Pena is about as good an actor as there is... gotta wrap it up so we can get going on The Last Kingdom, which (I think) drops Monday...

.... and Nagini is Helen Cho

I'm binging Narcos: Mexico with great satisfaction.  Up into episode 7.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Wasn't wild about Outlaw King.... 

... 3 episodes into Narcos... Michael Pena is about as good an actor as there is... gotta wrap it up so we can get going on The Last Kingdom, which (I think) drops Monday...

.... and Nagini is Helen Cho

Well shit, they gotta stop dropping Narcos and the Last Kingdom at the same time. LOL,

I still haven't finished it.  And now Last Kingdom's here -- and so is the third season of Billions on dvd (Billions's unfettered greed for power and expansion and to own it all, back stabbings, betrayals, superstitions and crazy religions  magics magicians  dueling, rival kingdoms performance motivation therapists, counselors, technologies and dueling, rival corps and government departments makes got's look naive and benign.  :lol: :lol:

Still loving Narcos: Mexico.  Except for the women's clothes, particularly the shoes.  The longer the series goes on the more they left the days of Reagan behind, fashion-wise, wearing things we haven't seen until the mid later 2000's.  Also I always wonder how and from where they got all the period cars -- that they got perfectly right!

On 11/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, briantw said:

Watched the first segment in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night and thought it was great.  It's the titular Ballad of Buster Scruggs and it's got a lot of really good laughs.  Looking forward to watching the rest tonight.

I agree that the first segment was great, but the rest of it either did nothing for me or was just depressing. It also doesn’t help that the film was not what I was expecting:

Spoiler

I knew going into it that the film was split up into six stories, but I was under the impression that afterwards we’d get an additional segment that showed how they all tied into one another like in the film Babel. I didn’t feel like there was any resolution when it ended abruptly.

I saw Widows by Steve McQueen. I thought it was fantastic, I’m a massive fan of his movies now I’d say. It was a great example of how to make a modern heist movie , it kept me on my toes and always surprised me. 

As a movie with a seemingly feminist post metoo message it featured some great female leads and characters. 

The only thing that bothered me was that a movie about powerful women seemed to also play on the trope of men being entirely awful and the source of all female problems. Not sure if this was a purposeful message or not,  but there were noticibly zero positive Male characters in the movie ( although almost everyone is nasty)

And this on international men’s day! :)

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I agree that the first segment was great, but the rest of it either did nothing for me or was just depressing. 

I've only seen the Buster Scruggs segment and the one with Franco and Stephen Root thus far and I enjoyed them both a lot.

Decided to save the rest and just watch the whole thing with my parents when they get here for Thanksgiving.  

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

I've only seen the Buster Scruggs segment and the one with Franco and Stephen Root thus far and I enjoyed them both a lot.

Decided to save the rest and just watch the whole thing with my parents when they get here for Thanksgiving.  

That's the one that bugged me the most, given the way it ended, I assumed there was going to be some sweet tie end later on, but nope. It was my mistake for thinking it was going to be something different than what it was. I only watched it because people here were talking it up. I had no other info going into it. 

Archived