Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Watched the first two episodes of both American Vandal season 2 and Mr. Inbetween.

American Vandal s2  hasn't entertained me like the first season, but maybe I just have to give it a few more episodes. It's missing some of the humor from the first, and I'm hoping for more screen time for Peter and Ray. Their relationship was one of the best parts of s1.

Mr Inbetween is good so far. Interesting character study of a hitman juggling his work and family life. Scott Ryan completely sells the main character, Ray Shoesmith, and is the best part of the show so far.

I think I have finally caught some of that Red Dead Redemption 2 hype, because I've been watching western movies a lot the last couple of days.

First I saw The Long Riders, which was good. It's another movie about Jesse James and his gang so the story is familiar. But the neat thing about the movie is a that all the siblings in the movie is played by actual siblings, so you got Stacey and James Keach as Frank and Jesse James, the Carradines as the Younger brothers, Nicholas and Christopher Guest as Bob and Charlie Ford, and so on. 

I also watched The Duel from 2016 starring Hunger Games Hemsworth and Woody Harrelson. It was alright, a little bit too long than the story actually warranted. Harrelson was great and Hemsworth was surprisingly good too.

Then I watched Bone Tomahawk, which was great. Really fucking brutal though.

33 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Watched the first episode of New Amsterdam. It's dumb and cliche as hell. I'm not really into doctor shows anyway, so I'm done with it.

I saw the trailer for that for the first time today; I laughed and laughed and laughed.  That looks so fucking awful, here it is for those that need a little laughter in their lives:

Contrary to most I am not liking Maniac. I am trying really hard to but it just doesn't grab me. I powered through 8 episodes and still couldn't care less about most of it. The only stand out, and likely only reason I am still watching is Emma Stone. Glad I only have 2 ep left and they are only 30 min, otherwise this would have been dropped.

Watched 1st ep of Manifest and liked it up until about the last 15 min and something started happening

Spoiler

The whole voices thing, 828 number, the plane blowing up(horrible cgi btw).

I don't think I will last very long.

Going to start Ozarks next, seems to have quite a few people saying it's really good.

20 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just watched Mandy - Nic Cage's new film and OH BOY do I have a LOOOOOOOT to say about this one!!!!! Has anyone else seen it yet?!?!

BTW. I loved it. In its simplest form it is an archetypal fairy tale. 

Good to hear. It’s been on my radar and I’ll probably check it out tonight. 

I watched Hold the Dark on Netflix yesterday. It was decent but a lot of it was really vague. I still don’t completely understand what they were going for with a few things. I need to go read about it or something. It did have a few obnoxious scenes that I was kinda surprised that Saulnier included: 

Spoiler

So 2 cops were gunned down in cold blood and the next day the police captain(or whatever he was then) goes to one of the suspects house and actually gives him a chance to come out peacefully? Like why take any chances!? Then he doesn’t set up a proper perimeter by actually surrounding the house and gets like 15 “green” cops slaughtered. And when he finally does flank the guy who is actively killing everyone he still hesitates to fire on the guy until he draws on him.

Then he just has a nice dinner and glass of wine with his wife and Bernard. Maybe I’m overthinking a lot of this but it all seemed pretty ludicrous to me. 

10 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Good to hear. It’s been on my radar and I’ll probably check it out tonight. 

I watched Hold the Dark on Netflix yesterday. It was decent but a lot of it was really vague. I still don’t completely understand what they were going for with a few things. I need to go read about it or something. It did have a few obnoxious scenes that I was kinda surprised that Saulnier included: 

Hide contents

So 2 cops were gunned down in cold blood and the next day the police captain(or whatever he was then) goes to one of the suspects house and actually gives him a chance to come out peacefully? Like why take any chances!? Then he doesn’t set up a proper perimeter by actually surrounding the house and gets like 15 “green” cops slaughtered. And when he finally does flank the guy who is actively killing everyone he still hesitates to fire on the guy until he draws on him.

Then he just has a nice dinner and glass of wine with his wife and Bernard. Maybe I’m overthinking a lot of this but it all seemed pretty ludicrous to me. 

I watched Hold The Dark too. It though it was pretty bad, a real disappointment as I really liked Green Room and though this was looked really interesting from the trailer.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just watched Mandy - Nic Cage's new film and OH BOY do I have a LOOOOOOOT to say about this one!!!!! Has anyone else seen it yet?!?!

BTW. I loved it. In its simplest form it is an archetypal fairy tale. 

I’ve heard good things about this one (other than the first half being a little slow). Always enjoy Nicholas Cage in full batshit crazy mode. I’ll probably check it out soon. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I found Hold the Dark very interesting.

Here's a little on the hidden meanings peppered through the story. https://screenrant.com/hold-dark-movie-netflix-ending-explained/

I feel like I got most of that, but I still don't think it makes the movie more compelling or engaging, or less boring.

Spoiler

Although admittedly I did miss the twin/incest component. I feel like that could probably have been a bit better spelled out. 

On 9/29/2018 at 3:08 AM, dbunting said:

Finished Manic today and was not impressed at all, basically finished it just to hope it would get better and IMO it didn't, really disappointed in this one. Going to start Ozark next weekend.

Im about halfwaythrough maniac. I don’t think it’s bad, but it’s not met my expectation and I feel pretty underwhelmed by it. Stone and Hill are both excellent in this however, and i like it enough to finish

Archived