Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Triskjavikson said:

I'm about half way through this and find it compelling enough but with no idea what to make of it overall so far.

Justin Thoreaux has made me laugh uncontrollably a few times.

I’m going on ep. 7 and Justin Thoreaux has been great. Him and Dr. Azumi are oddly entertaining.

57 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m going on ep. 7 and Justin Thoreaux has been great. Him and Dr. Azumi are oddly entertaining.

He's showing some versatility as he's almost unrecognisable from his leftovers role

12 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

I'm about half way through this and find it compelling enough but with no idea what to make of it overall so far.

Justin Thoreaux has made me laugh uncontrollably a few times.

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

He is having soooo much fun hamming it up - i love it. 

14 hours ago, Astromech said:

I want to go see The Sisters Brothers, but am torn between seeing the film before reading the novel, or seeing the film then reading the novel. I love a good Western. 

I had no idea there was a film until now! The book was great, there's a slightly farcical humour throughout but it still has plenty of grim western realism to it too. I'd be fascinated how they translate as my vague memory recalls a lot of the book was narrated from a brother's POV.

EDIT: just watched the trailer and I'm even more bemused I hadn't heard of it given the stellar cast involved too.

I've finished most of Ozark S2 without actually enjoying it much.  I just have the finale left.

I watched Better Call Saul S3 during my flights last week and this.  Really good.  It finally got to a resolution on the interminable Jimmy vs. Chuck arc, Kim is still awesome, and Mike progresses the story with Hector, Nacho and Gus.  S3 was a big improvement on S2, I'm glad I went back to it.

I also finished The Great British Baking Show S1 (or S1 as counted on Netflix).  Still really enjoyable, relaxing TV, but the finale was a disappointment.  The faux tension was at odds with the usual relaxing genial tone, and the final winner ...

Spoiler

...was a huge disappointment that felt completely unearned over the course of the season.

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I've finished most of Ozark S2 without actually enjoying it much.  I just have the finale left.

I watched Better Call Saul S3 during my flights last week and this.  Really good.  It finally got to a resolution on the interminable Jimmy vs. Chuck arc, Kim is still awesome, and Mike progresses the story with Hector, Nacho and Gus.  S3 was a big improvement on S2, I'm glad I went back to it.

I also finished The Great British Baking Show S1 (or S1 as counted on Netflix).  Still really enjoyable, relaxing TV, but the finale was a disappointment.  The faux tension was at odds with the usual relaxing genial tone, and the final winner ...

Hide contents

...was a huge disappointment that felt completely unearned over the course of the season.

What is S1 on US Netflix? That has never been my feelings when watching GBBO (assuming these are the same thing).

Started watching the new season of Lethal Weapon - not having Murtaugh and Riggs in it definitely changes the nostalgia view of it but Sean William Scott is playing a nice change to the over the top Riggs.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What is S1 on US Netflix? That has never been my feelings when watching GBBO (assuming these are the same thing).

Spoiler

Richard, Nancy and Luis were in the final.  Nancy won after not making any mistakes over the final weekend but had been a mostly meh competitor overall.  Richard had been star baker five times out of nine beforehand but that didn’t seem to count at all.  He had an error on his technical challenge in the final weekend and then produced a very good showstopper.  Luis had been more creative than Nancy throughout and no errors in the final weekend, but that didn’t seem to count for anything.

Opaque judging is just part of the reality TV suspense, but it was pretty hard to say Nancy was the best baker over the full season.  She was mostly a safe pair of hands with very little flair or risk-taking.  After the final they had to retcon praises that made it sound like she was very good throughout the season, when that had not been the case in the earlier episodes.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Holy hell I get why the Good Place is so loved now. Finished off season one and now my entire perspective on the show has changed

Honestly the first season is all you should watch. The arc is done there.

4 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched the first ep and a half of Norseman on Netflix and shit is pretty fucking funny. 

I am so here for this. Will check it out this weekend.

I saw on Netflix a movie that looked enjoyably dumb. It’s called The Hurricane Heist. Yup, enjoyably dumb. I can’t believe they put it in theaters. It’s SyFY channel quality.

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Honestly the first season is all you should watch. The arc is done there.

I disagree. Season 2 of The Good Place was just as funny.

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Pretty much how I feel about Ozark as well. I'm close to finishing S2 but it's been a bit of a slog.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Perhaps the overall story arc of the first season is the most satisfying, but I agree the second season is equally funny and has some great individual episodes like Dance, Dance Resolution and The Trolley Problem.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Perhaps the overall story arc of the first season is the most satisfying, but I agree the second season is equally funny and has some great individual episodes like Dance, Dance Resolution and The Trolley Problem.

And if you don't watch season 3 you'll never know why Adam Scott goes to the restroom.  And when you learn that you can laugh and laugh, like I am right now, even though that scene was a week ago.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, red snow said:

I had no idea there was a film until now! The book was great, there's a slightly farcical humour throughout but it still has plenty of grim western realism to it too. I'd be fascinated how they translate as my vague memory recalls a lot of the book was narrated from a brother's POV.

EDIT: just watched the trailer and I'm even more bemused I hadn't heard of it given the stellar cast involved too.

I listened to part of the audiobook, which was great, but I had too many distractions at work to finish it. It became background noise at a certain point.

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched the first ep and a half of Norseman on Netflix and shit is pretty fucking funny. 

I loved the first season and need to watch the second.

The final two episodes of Mr. Inbetween were perfect. Reminded me so much Guy Ritchie's better works while being much more understated. Ray was having a terrible day. Excellent new show I hope is renewed. Australian series and I haven't yet looked for any news on a possible second season. Ray Shoesmith is a captivating character study and Scott Ryan's portrayal is excellent.

just watched the new ''folk horror'' film on Netflix by Gareth Evans who directed The Raid & The Raid 2.

''Apostle'' is as scary or as violent or as gruelling as I thought it might be although it's still enough of each. 

But I did really like it and I'm glad i weatched it and it's something i'll likely be watching again 

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

Sure, I caught a few episodes. It just felt like to me that the story arc of season one was a complete story unless I missed something.

I’m Still watching Reign as it started having depths. The plot is still ridiculously soapy but underneath all the foam there are some nice roasts. Mary is a preposterous person, Katherine is totally inconsistent but rather delightful in her scheming and wicked way. The guy played by Craig Parker is a wonderful villain and Francis is just adorable. But the only character with any level of integrity is Greer. 

Archived