Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

Got caught up with Sharp Objects and started up Shameless S8.  That's one show that despite 8 seasons hasn't fallen into the pits of other shows that have been around that long.  Still really good stuff.  Also took a peak at Castle Rock and will be watching that one w/ the wife, since I know she'll love it.  Think I'll finally get around to 6 feet under next for a show I'll watch on my own.

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

Got caught up with Sharp Objects and started up Shameless S8.  That's one show that despite 8 seasons hasn't fallen into the pits of other shows that have been around that long.  Still really good stuff. 

Yeah I'm halfway through season 8 of Shameless as well. You don't often see a show keep steady in quality for 8 seasons but I think at this point you feel like you're part of the Gallagher family and just want to watch them continue growing in life. It's like some defunct version of a family sitcom that you keep coming back to. This season even feels wholehearted and with a lot less debauchery than I'm used to.. and I like it even though I keep waiting for it to all implode.

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah I'm halfway through season 8 of Shameless as well. You don't often see a show keep steady in quality for 8 seasons but I think at this point you feel like you're part of the Gallagher family and just want to watch them continue growing in life. It's like some defunct version of a family sitcom that you keep coming back to. This season even feels wholehearted and with a lot less debauchery than I'm used to.. and I like it even though I keep waiting for it to all implode.

Going to spoiler this for those who don't watch the show, but it references one of the earlier (aka not the most recent season) finales...

Spoiler

The finale where Frank gets the transplant then goes out on the pier and drinks while crying is probably one of my favorite season finales in all of television.

Does anyone else have Disenchantment on their radar? It’s Matt Groening’s new series on Netflix and the reviews seem really good. It won’t be out for a few more weeks, but I’m pretty sure I’ll binge it Rick and Morty style.  

33 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Does anyone else have Disenchantment on their radar? It’s Matt Groening’s new series on Netflix and the reviews seem really good. It won’t be out for a few more weeks, but I’m pretty sure I’ll binge it Rick and Morty style.  

Not weeks, but available Friday.  It goes up on netflix Friday, 08/17/18. 

I am rather looking forward to it, if only because netflix has provided nothing of interest last month or this one, and this will at least be superior to the dumped drek they've been throwing at us all summer.  But I'll be away w/o opportunity as all opportunity will be filled with non-digital experience, including watching some very beautiful horses run.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not weeks, but available Friday.  It goes up on netflix Friday, 08/17/18. 

I am rather looking forward to it, if only because netflix has provided nothing of interest last month or this one, and this will at least be superior to the dumped drek they've been throwing at us all summer.  But I'll be away w/o opportunity as all opportunity will be filled with non-digital experience, including watching some very beautiful horses run.

Oh really? I thought it came out at the end of the month. That’s awesome.

As far as Netflix’s content goes, I’ve found some good stuff over the summer, but theirs is so much to sift through, and it feels like they dump new stuff every few weeks.

Watched a bunch of movies over the weekend. Started with Deadpool 2 which I found to be funnier and more entertaining than the first. Saw the new Avengers and thought it was also pretty entertaining without being overwhelming. We also watched Moon which was incredibly well done. We then finished it up with Cube, which is a classic in its own right. Good weekend of movies.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Watched a bunch of movies over the weekend. Started with Deadpool 2 which I found to be funnier and more entertaining than the first. 

It really benefits from not having to spend an hour telling the origin story, which I think is why most second superhero films tend to be superior to the first ones.  The real question is if they run out of ideas for number three, which is something a lot of superhero movies have really struggled with.  Marvel seems to have perfected the formula, but Marvel is just an unstoppable machine at this point that somehow never makes bad movies.  

What was the last Marvel Studios movie to suck?  Iron Man 3?  That feels like twenty years ago.

I watched the penultimate episode of Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone, and it's been disappointing so far, unless you approach it as a comedy and laugh at the ridiculousness of events. How much unbelievable shit can happen to the Dutton family in a single day!? The beauty of the locations (Utah and Montana) keeps me watching.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:04 AM, briantw said:

It really benefits from not having to spend an hour telling the origin story, which I think is why most second superhero films tend to be superior to the first ones.  The real question is if they run out of ideas for number three, which is something a lot of superhero movies have really struggled with.  Marvel seems to have perfected the formula, but Marvel is just an unstoppable machine at this point that somehow never makes bad movies.  

What was the last Marvel Studios movie to suck?  Iron Man 3?  That feels like twenty years ago.

Is the formula not to make a 4th film? None of their franchises have gone beyond that and instead have merged franchises or had iron man guest starring everywhere. Avengers 4 will be the first to break this pattern.

I'm definitely warming to the idea of gotg 3 being cancelled and us getting some Thor/as guardians of the galaxy mash-up. That way we get more Thor and the director won't have to constantly deal with the "you are directing Gunn's movie" accusation/comparison.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, briantw said:

I don't know, there are a bunch that are in that third tier.  Ultron, Thor 2/3, I really didn't like GotG 2 all that much though I know I'm in the minority there.  But in that regard all Marvel films are pretty much the same stuff, so it's not like the great ones are Oscar worthy while the bad ones are trash.... you know what to expect and they deliver that same product over and over again.

Finally saw Infinity War and it was pretty good.  Thought the first half of the film was really weak compared to the second half, but overall on par for what I'd expect for Marvel.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm definitely warming to the idea of gotg 3 being cancelled and us getting some Thor/as guardians of the galaxy mash-up. That way we get more Thor and the director won't have to constantly deal with the "you are directing Gunn's movie" accusation/comparison.

Or Marvel could just man up, admit they made a mistake, and rehire Gunn.  (I haven't followed that drama at all, so I'm not sure if that's been explored or already completely dismissed.)

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Or Marvel could just man up, admit they made a mistake, and rehire Gunn.  (I haven't followed that drama at all, so I'm not sure if that's been explored or already completely dismissed.)

They won't. Already reported that following a meeting with Gunn, they will not rehire him.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:00 AM, Nictarion said:

Watched Jacob’s Ladder for the first time tonight and...JFC that’s one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen. Right up there with Requiem For a Dream. 

I love this movie. The head shaking cuts always freaked me out as a kid. Very dark though.

I watched a few movi...sorry, films from A24 that I was excited for and the first was kind of a letdown. Hot Summer Nights was decent but ultimately got stuck in the mud at a few parts, and ended up being a pretty ordinary ‘kid in over his head while dealing drugs and making loads of cash’ type film. 6/10

A Prayer Before Dawn was better. It’s very bleak and has some pretty brutal scenes as it’s based on a true story of an outsider who gets arrested in Thailand and uses his boxing background to survive the hell. I guess it was filmed at actual prisons with some actual prisoners to add to the depressing realism. I’d give it a go if that interests you. 7.3/10

Looking for something to binge so I decided to give The Americans another try. I remember watching like 4 or 5 episodes when it first came on years ago but it just didn’t grab me for whatever reason. So many of you here that have similar taste as me seemed to have loved it though. Hope I can get into it this time. It and Mad Men are really the only highly regarded modern era shows I haven’t seen. 

Archived