Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

So I just flew through the last few episodes of Black Sails S2 and hot damn that was a good season finale.  I feel like that episode personified my idea of what a pirate episode should be. The last few episodes reminded me of Justified's S4 with a 4-way race between different groups of characters trying to accomplish competing or interlinking objectives and maneuvering around one another. The show has definitely improved itself above and beyond the first season -- and that's not to discredit the first season in any way. I hope S3 and S4 can keep the momentum going while also wrapping things up nicely. 

4 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I watched The Lost Boys last night. Still holds up and is a wonderful film.

So much 80’s sex appeal that looks silly by today’s standards….

*goes and plays a sax shirtless while sweating like crazy*

I love the film, as do a lot of my friends. I suggested it to an older millennial friend and she hated it.

You heard there is going to be a TV show?

14 hours ago, red snow said:

Just finished season 1 of the good place. Surprising how clever this is for what is essentially a traditional sitcom. Just shows what you can do with the format if imaginative. The twist was the kind that makes you retroactively rethink every scene

Reveal hidden contents

and meant Ted Danson was doing some incredible work throughout as seeing some scenes again actually highlighted what the character was actually thinking.

The first season is a great example of how to do a season-long story arc.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

I love the film, as do a lot of my friends. I suggested it to an older millennial friend and she hated it.

You heard there is going to be a TV show?

Yeah, but I'll wait a while for the reviews before I bother checking it out. There are very few shoes that I'll ever watch week to week.

Dexter has scared me! 

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

So I just flew through the last few episodes of Black Sails S2 and hot damn that was a good season finale.  I feel like that episode personified my idea of what a pirate episode should be. The last few episodes reminded me of Justified's S4 with a 4-way race between different groups of characters trying to accomplish competing or interlinking objectives and maneuvering around one another. The show has definitely improved itself above and beyond the first season -- and that's not to discredit the first season in any way. I hope S3 and S4 can keep the momentum going while also wrapping things up nicely. 

Black Sails s2 was excellent. A big improvement over s1 where I felt the showrunners weren't quite sure where they wanted to take the show. Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent too. I should do a rewatch since I'm not watching  much of anything now.

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I watched The Lost Boys last night. Still holds up and is a wonderful film.

So much 80’s sex appeal that looks silly by today’s standards….

*goes and plays a sax shirtless while sweating like crazy*

Had some free time last week so I watched a few shows and movies.

Blakkklansman, it was ok. There were some moments that were absurd and some that were surreal.

Also saw Mile 22. Holy shit movie. I didn't have high hopes going into this, just expecting a popcorn shoot em up and even that was disappointing. Mark Wahlburg mailed this one in. It almost felt like he was trying to be like Ben Affleck in The Accountant, but with a rubber band....and Lauren Cohen, you better not burn any bridges on The Walking Dead because you cannot act if this movie was a baseline. I can't express just how bad she was and how unbelievable her character was. I don't often trash action flicks because I know going into them what I am in for but this was just utter and complete garbage.

Finished Sharp Objects on HBO and recommend it to anyone.

Started Gypsy on Netflix...ehh...two episodes in and not sure I care to watch anymore.

I watched The Equalizer 2. I thought it was OK, but the main plot was probably the least interesting part of the film, and disappointingly predictable. Denzel Washington did put in a good performance again, but I feel I've seen so many revenge plots in thrillers over the past few years that I'd have rather seen a focus instead on one of his quests to help random people in trouble.

Yesterday I was looking through the selection of movies available on streaming, I've tended to focus on the new released but decided to look at some of the older films and ended up watching Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. It felt like the movie had dated quite badly, I think the attempts at humour fell flat (maybe they might have worked better in the 70s?), and the big heist wasn't particularly thrilling. I think the best part was a charismatic performance from a young Jeff Bridges, Clint Eastwood was also good as the more experienced thief but the rest of the cast was weak.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:58 PM, Astromech said:

Black Sails s2 was excellent. A big improvement over s1 where I felt the showrunners weren't quite sure where they wanted to take the show. Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent too. I should do a rewatch since I'm not watching  much of anything now.

Yeah I already burned through Season 3 and making my way through S4. The show really did become a pirate show as opposed to a show with pirates in it. I tire of some of the Eleanor / Max island storylines.. and almost every character's motivations have turned upside down since S1 but still enjoying the overall journey particularly those involving Vane and Rackham.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:42 PM, Martell Spy said:

Watch: ‘Jack Ryan’ Looks a Billion Times Better When It’s Jim vs. Dwight

http://collider.com/jack-ryan-office-parody-video/#images

I'm just finishing up episode four, and I'm really enjoying it.  That video was pretty funny, but it definitely made me want to rewatch The Office.

Will likely watch Ozark when I'm done with this.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm just finishing up episode four, and I'm really enjoying it.  That video was pretty funny, but it definitely made me want to rewatch The Office.

I'm really enjoying it too. They've managed to keep the slow burn political pacing of the jack Ryan films I've seen. It feels somewhere between Homeland and a BBC show but with a bigger budget. So far no silly moments where the players are idiotic (which was the downfall of homeland for me)

I like how they are spending time with the villains and showing that they aren't full time evil but have respect for others and reasons for their actions. Pleased I'd seen the episode prior to seeing the final trailer though as it spoils the villain which while not a major (or hard to work out during the episode) rendered segments of the pilot episode pointless.

Finally watched "mission impossible: fallout" and agree with others it was the best installment yet. The action set pieces were brilliant particularly the toilet fight and helicopter segments. Henry Cavill showed he can be great with the right role and I still think he has a great superman film in him but has made Hugh Jackman wolverine look almost plain sailing. Looking forward to more of them especially now they seem to have all the creative elements in place. Seems like Jeremy renner has been screwed out if two films this year with avengers preventing him being in MI and then it turning out he's only in the next avengers.

14 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched The Equalizer 2. I thought it was OK, but the main plot was probably the least interesting part of the film, and disappointingly predictable. Denzel Washington did put in a good performance again, but I feel I've seen so many revenge plots in thrillers over the past few years that I'd have rather seen a focus instead on one of his quests to help random people in trouble.

Yesterday I was looking through the selection of movies available on streaming, I've tended to focus on the new released but decided to look at some of the older films and ended up watching Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. It felt like the movie had dated quite badly, I think the attempts at humour fell flat (maybe they might have worked better in the 70s?), and the big heist wasn't particularly thrilling. I think the best part was a charismatic performance from a young Jeff Bridges, Clint Eastwood was also good as the more experienced thief but the rest of the cast was weak.

I was bored by Equalizer 2. I ended up leaving before the end so I could catch an earlier bus home. 

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yeah, I'm watching Ozark now. Great season.

Also watching season 2 of UnREAL. since I noticed it was on Hulu. I'm 3 eps in, and while it is not as good as season 1 was, the critics really over-stated it. It's still a very fun and cynical show from what I've seen so far. It's just that season 1 was fantastic. 

Probably going to buy Mayans MC.

I want to watch Dietland and Snowfall, but I'd have to buy them and I'm not quite ready to pull that trigger yet. It kind of sucks, but when you don't have cable, AMC and FX are harder to get a hold of than premium channels. They really need to make services like HBO and Showtime have.

About to watch Iron Fist season 2, hopefully it is better than season 1.

Saw Papillon a bit ago. I greatly enjoyed it, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a brutal prison movie. I enjoyed the actors though and the grinding realism.

Archived