Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

47 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, I'm watching Ozark now. Great season.

Also watching season 2 of UnREAL. since I noticed it was on Hulu. I'm 3 eps in, and while it is not as good as season 1 was, the critics really over-stated it. It's still a very fun and cynical show from what I've seen so far. It's just that season 1 was fantastic. 

It gets worse, so much worse. Season 3 was pretty good though.

Speaking of AMC: Lodge 49.  A truly original show, of which there are hardly any.  Have no idea where it will go, if anywhere.  But it is filled with engaging characters and matters, and quite nice to look at too.

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, I'm watching Ozark now. Great season.

Also watching season 2 of UnREAL. since I noticed it was on Hulu. I'm 3 eps in, and while it is not as good as season 1 was, the critics really over-stated it. It's still a very fun and cynical show from what I've seen so far. It's just that season 1 was fantastic. 

Probably going to buy Mayans MC.

I want to watch Dietland and Snowfall, but I'd have to buy them and I'm not quite ready to pull that trigger yet. It kind of sucks, but when you don't have cable, AMC and FX are harder to get a hold of than premium channels. They really need to make services like HBO and Showtime have.

About to watch Iron Fist season 2, hopefully it is better than season 1.

Saw Papillon a bit ago. I greatly enjoyed it, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a brutal prison movie. I enjoyed the actors though and the grinding realism.

I wonder whether FX shows will wind up on the Disney streaming platform after Disney acquires fox? They can still air on FX but I imagine Disney will host them eventually.

Just finished "picnic at hanging rock". It's a weird one, everything about it was gorgeous but the ending was very open with many threads appearing irrelevant. I've heard the book is that way so it's faithful in that sense. I was just left feeling I was missing the key to unlock what the show was actually about.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Just finished "picnic at hanging rock". It's a weird one, everything about it was gorgeous but the ending was very open with many threads appearing irrelevant. I've heard the book is that way so it's faithful in that sense. I was just left feeling I was missing the key to unlock what the show was actually about.

After watching the finale, I looked round a bit on the internet and saw a reference to a chapter held back from publication until after the author's death, which took the story in an explicitly mystical direction. Details here: https://lithub.com/what-really-happened-to-the-girls-at-hanging-rock/

While I'm glad that this ending wasn't included, at the same time I feel that - based on the atmosphere of the TV series (I haven't read the book or seen the film) - this is what happened to Miranda, Marion and Miss McCraw. Irma is prevented in following them by a boulder blocking the route in the manner of the lame boy in Browning's poem of the Pied Piper "...the music stopped and I stood still/ Left alone against my will/ To go now limping as before/ And never hear of that country more!" 

I did enjoy the last episode - it was more hard-hitting than I expected. The discovery of Sara's body came as a blow. I think we'll see more of the young actress (Inez Curro) who played her though since she was often very impressive for someone her age. 

I re-watched S1 of True Detective, as I posted in its thread. That inspired me to seek out something more explicitly fantastical, and something that I hadn't seen before. I eventually settled on Supernatural, which is somehow still on the air despite starting way back in 2005. The first 13 seasons are all on Netflix (for now at least) and I've seen the first four episodes of season one so far.

Seems pretty good so far. And I like how, because of the set-up for now at least, its practically an anthology, with the only constant so far being the two brothers in various towns. Which means the show has been fine with having permanent consequences to the stories of each episode, because it doesn't need to worry about telling what happens next. The brothers are off to another town the next episode.

I imagine things eventually get more serialized, 13+ seasons of this would get pretty old, but its a nice change of pace for now.

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

I eventually settled on Supernatural, which is somehow still on the air despite starting way back in 2005. The first 13 seasons are all on Netflix (for now at least) and I've seen the first four episodes of season one so far.

Seems pretty good so far. And I like how, because of the set-up for now at least, its practically an anthology, with the only constant so far being the two brothers in various towns. Which means the show has been fine with having permanent consequences to the stories of each episode, because it doesn't need to worry about telling what happens next. The brothers are off to another town the next episode.

I imagine things eventually get more serialized, 13+ seasons of this would get pretty old, but its a nice change of pace for now.

Seasons 1-5 are definitely worth watching. Season 3 suffered a bit from the writers strike back then but 2, 4 and 5 are really good. Season 6 had some good standalone episodes but it's pretty much downhill post season 5. Not really worth watching after that imo. 

Lies! 6 and 7 dipped but 8 improves.

I've seen up to end of 10 (been rewatchibg again from start, just finished 9) so cant comment on 11-13, but 14 will be the last season.  Worth it for Crowley from 5 onwards.

The head of CW loves the show which partly explains its longevity.

59 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Seasons 1-5 are definitely worth watching. Season 3 suffered a bit from the writers strike back then but 2, 4 and 5 are really good. Season 6 had some good standalone episodes but it's pretty much downhill post season 5. Not really worth watching after that imo. 

It has gotten quite good again. I can't remember if it was season 11 or 12 when it ramped back up; I think it was 12.  

31 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Lies! 6 and 7 dipped but 8 improves.

I've seen up to end of 10 (been rewatchibg again from start, just finished 9) so cant comment on 11-13, but 14 will be the last season.  Worth it for Crowley from 5 onwards.

The head of CW loves the show which partly explains its longevity.

20 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It has gotten quite good again. I can't remember if it was season 11 or 12 when it ramped back up; I think it was 12.  

I watched up to season 11. Season 8 does see an improvement over 6 & 7 with Carver taking over as showrunner but the show has never reached the heights of the first 5 seasons imo. Dunno about the last couple of seasons. If season 14 really is the last then I might consider catching up but the show has become stale which is not surprising for a series that has run as long as this one. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I re-watched S1 of True Detective, as I posted in its thread. That inspired me to seek out something more explicitly fantastical, and something that I hadn't seen before. I eventually settled on Supernatural, which is somehow still on the air despite starting way back in 2005. The first 13 seasons are all on Netflix (for now at least) and I've seen the first four episodes of season one so far.

It has that sg-1 vibe of improving as the show mythology expands. I recall season 4 being excellent and 2/3/5 having some excellent stand alone episodes that ranged from funny to clever to terrifying. I lost interest after 6+7 struggled with going beyond the show's natural ending. Netflix UK doesn't have it and channel 4 doesn't keep all the seasons online (no idea why) but the odd episodes I've seen have always been entertaining. The core cast are all likeable and at home with their roles and the recent scooby doo episode shows how it still has legs.

Interesting thoughts on Supernatural. It sounds a bit like if its a show I stick with it may eventually end up being a second screen show while I play a mechanics-heavy video game on my main screen. Though even 5 full seasons of quality is pretty rare from TV shows, especially the 20+ episode season shows.

Started watching some old episodes of King of the Hill.  Been ages since I've watched this, but it seems to hold up pretty well thus far.

"Hank, relax. Here, Nancy gave me some ginseng tea she got from John Redcorn..."
"Ginseng?!? I don't need to get all hopped up on dope!"

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm really enjoying it too. They've managed to keep the slow burn political pacing of the jack Ryan films I've seen. It feels somewhere between Homeland and a BBC show but with a bigger budget. So far no silly moments where the players are idiotic (which was the downfall of homeland for me)

I like how they are spending time with the villains and showing that they aren't full time evil but have respect for others and reasons for their actions. Pleased I'd seen the episode prior to seeing the final trailer though as it spoils the villain which while not a major (or hard to work out during the episode) rendered segments of the pilot episode pointless.

Finished it earlier today, and loved it all the way through.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how much humor was interspersed.  Wendell Pierce was fantastic from the very first scene, and John Krasinski did a great job too.  I do wish that the season was longer.

This was announced back in July but I only found out about it today - 4k conversion of The Shield is finally completed and the Blu-ray will be available from 8 November 2018. The 4k restorations will also be available on streaming services. Been waiting for this for a long time and put off doing a rewatch in anticipation of the 4k release. So, finally, by December I can start a rewatch of one of the greatest series of all time. 

I've been watching old comedies lately, and the next one up was The Producers. This one, much like Blazing Saddles, left me incredibly disappointed. I barely laughed and the only good part was the excellent ending. Bummer... 

Archived