Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

This was announced back in July but I only found out about it today - 4k conversion of The Shield is finally completed and the Blu-ray will be available from 8 November 2018. The 4k restorations will also be available on streaming services. Been waiting for this for a long time and put off doing a rewatch in anticipation of the 4k release. So, finally, by December I can start a rewatch of one of the greatest series of all time. 

I’m hoping to get this on Blu Ray for Xmas...

Tried "Patrick Melrose". There is no denying Cumberbatch's brilliance but I always find it hard to empathize with insanely rich drug addicts. I'm also never certain whether this is how the dispossessed rich really behaviour or whether it's how writers think they behave? It's semi autobiographical so it's probably just a case of being too far removed for me to fully empathize. I guess it shows money isn't everything. 

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Tried "Patrick Melrose". There is no denying Cumberbatch's brilliance but I always find it hard to empathize with insanely rich drug addicts. I'm also never certain whether this is how the dispossessed rich really behaviour or whether it's how writers think they behave? It's semi autobiographical so it's probably just a case of being too far removed for me to fully empathize. I guess it shows money isn't everything. 

Did you watch more than just the first episode? Because I would agree with you then. The first ep seemed to me like it tried way hard to seem cool, but i thought that the rest of the series was excellent.

5 minutes ago, the hound of sansa said:

Did you watch more than just the first episode? Because I would agree with you then. The first ep seemed to me like it tried way hard to seem cool, but i thought that the rest of the series was excellent.

I'm 20 minutes into the second episode and the material not involving him eg his mum is easier to digest. That and the flashbacks mean I'll stick with it for another episode.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:37 PM, Consigliere said:

This was announced back in July but I only found out about it today - 4k conversion of The Shield is finally completed and the Blu-ray will be available from 8 November 2018. The 4k restorations will also be available on streaming services. Been waiting for this for a long time and put off doing a rewatch in anticipation of the 4k release. So, finally, by December I can start a rewatch of one of the greatest series of all time. 

I watched the first two seasons of The Shield and really enjoyed it but always found it tough in the old standard format. Will be super excited to plow through the rest of the seasons in 4k.

JUst watched a beautiful romance film Sweapt From The Sea set in the gorgeous Cornwall (where I am from and live) with a wonderful score from John Barry. Really spiritual film in a way that’s totally not connected to religion at all - has a very ethereal quality - I really, REALLY loved it 

Castle Rock has been pretty awesome.  8 ep in and I'm really enjoying it.  Not sure how they'll continue if they decide on a season 2.

Going to see The Nun tonight w/ the wife and another couple.  She loves the conjuring world.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Castle Rock has been pretty awesome.  8 ep in and I'm really enjoying it.  Not sure how they'll continue if they decide on a season 2.

I believe it's an anthology series, so each season will feature a different story set in Castle Rock.  Probably see some character continuity from the side characters, but I'd imagine each main story will feature different leads.

8 hours ago, Mexal said:

I watched the first two seasons of The Shield and really enjoyed it but always found it tough in the old standard format. Will be super excited to plow through the rest of the seasons in 4k.

With as much as I know you enjoy Justified, you are in for a treat.  Top ten show with a top two finale.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

With as much as I know you enjoy Justified, you are in for a treat.  Top ten show with a top two finale.

Yeah, the ending of The Shield is just about perfect. Hell of a show, and can't wait for the BluRay.

59 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

What’s your other finale? I have The Shield at the top with Six Feet Under a very close 2nd. 

It's amazing to me that even after all these years The Shield still holds up as having the best series finale ever. I've never seen Six Feet Under though I spoiled myself by watching the series finale without watching anything beyond the first season because of it's acclaim.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

What’s your other finale? I have The Shield at the top with Six Feet Under a very close 2nd. 

I vacillate between The Shield and Six Feet Under as the top spot.  6FU's is so good relative to the rest of the show's run that it is hard to not factor in that discrepancy, and depending on my mood that can be either a good or bad thing. 

I watched the first episode of Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC. And I actually mostly liked it, it was enough to keep me watching at least. Despite obviously following in the style of SOA the story and characters felt dissimilar enough that it does not feel like a complete retread. There was a lot of story in the first episode though, and it feels like some of it could probably have been saved for later episodes. There was also an boring shoot-out without any real stakes in broad daylight that just felt like prerequisite for the first episode. As for SOA connections, Alvarez shows up and I assume he will probably have a similarly sized role to his SOA role, which is nice because I always liked Alvarez and Emilio Rivera's portrayal. The Sons of Anarchy also show up (although not The Sons of Anarchy) and for some fucking reason Katey Sagal also has a small cameo (only in a flashback though).

Hopefully Kurt Sutter can keep from indulging in his worst tendencies and Mayans MC can avoid slipping down the same slope as Sons of Anarchy did.

26 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I’m realtively excited for The Shield being upgraded but if their was ever a show that’s vibe perfectly fit the grainy gritty dvd style camera it was the Shield. 

A fair point, but man is that DVD set awful as far as packaging goes. Can’t believe they just stacked all the discs like that. 

I like the art for the Blu-ray set much better, too. The red and black looks great. 

Archived